So my right rear strut blew.. what to do now..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my right rear strut blew.. what to do now..

I didn't even know I had a strut in the rear. But the dealership said it blew and its leaking. And it'll be about $550 for both rear struts and labor (because cant just change one out, gotta change them both). And I think thats a bit excessive. So..

I took the car to my local auto parts guys and they said it wasnt a strut but shock. Which got me more confused. W/e. All i know is that it's the rear piston looking thing next to the springs.

Firstly, while I have your attention, I'm thinking about getting black rims but dont know what kind to get.

Secondly, I also want to lower my car just because if the strut is blown it'd probably just be easier to do it now than replace the strut and take it off again later.

Any ideas on what to buy? what I can do?

Last edited by Aquarius; 05-17-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
$5500???

I would go back and punch that guy in the face. You can do the rears in an hour its super easy.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 PM
whoops.. extra 0.. i meant $550.. went back and fixed that

Old 05-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just order some tokico dspec shocks and tein springs or full coilovers if you like and replace them all at once. you can do the rear yourself if you have a jack/jackstands and some basic wrenches, the front you can also do yourself with a spring compressor

Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM
First of all, what car/year/model do you have? Is it under warranty? Are you looking to get aftermarket suspension?

Just so you know, you have four shocks on the car. The front two have the springs mounted on them, and the rear two have the springs mounted independent of the shock. When you lower the car, you can either replace all the springs, or get all new shocks and springs, called coilovers.

You have several options. You can go out an buy two rear replacement stock struts for a few hundred dollars and have them installed or do them yourself. People sell them used here on the forums for really cheap. You can check to see if your car is under warranty and have them replaced. Do NOT pay $5500 for both rear struts plus labor. You can buy the nicest aftermarket coilovers money can buy (for all four corners of the car) for half that price including labor (which should be about $200). For about $800-900, you can get a good quality, used set of coilovers to lower your car and improve handling. I would go with that before the wheels.

PM me if you have any questions.

EDIT:

Ok, after posting my post, I went back and saw the correction in price (from $5500 to 550). This changes things a bit, but not much. I would spend a grand on a nice set of coils and have them installed (unless you are mechanically inclined). Get your wheels after the coils.

Last edited by j 4 lD; 05-17-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: new info
Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would just get a set of entry to mid level coilovers, and swap everything out. You get better handling, firmer ride, and height adjustability. Sure it costs a bit more upfront, but honestly I see this as an opportunity to upgrade your ride; suspension parts are made to wear out, why not spend a bit more and upgrade to something better?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Aquarius
I didn't even know I had a strut in the rear.
Ummm... every vehicle has struts n springs. They are part of the suspension of every vehicle.
So, basically, either ur struts have gone bad or ur springs... if you thinking abt lowering ur car, just go get aftermarket suspension coilovers (a whole kit) or springs. Do some research, this website has everything you will need to know.
All the best.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by j 4 lD
First of all, what car/year/model do you have? Is it under warranty? Are you looking to get aftermarket suspension?

Just so you know, you have four shocks on the car. The front two have the springs mounted on them, and the rear two have the springs mounted independent of the shock. When you lower the car, you can either replace all the springs, or get all new shocks and springs, called coilovers.

You have several options. You can go out an buy two rear replacement stock struts for a few hundred dollars and have them installed or do them yourself. People sell them used here on the forums for really cheap. You can check to see if your car is under warranty and have them replaced. Do NOT pay $5500 for both rear struts plus labor. You can buy the nicest aftermarket coilovers money can buy (for all four corners of the car) for half that price including labor (which should be about $200). For about $800-900, you can get a good quality, used set of coilovers to lower your car and improve handling. I would go with that before the wheels.

PM me if you have any questions.

EDIT:

Ok, after posting my post, I went back and saw the correction in price (from $5500 to 550). This changes things a bit, but not much. I would spend a grand on a nice set of coils and have them installed (unless you are mechanically inclined). Get your wheels after the coils.
2006 AT g35 coupe not under warranty anymore.. no idea what name brands to go with, i hear tien come up more than anything else tho.. but thinking about taking it to autoX next month so imma get stock struts for the rear for now and figure out what aftermarket stuff to get afterwards.. any preferences amongst you guys.. something that wont make me go broke?

Originally Posted by syshs
Ummm... every vehicle has struts n springs. They are part of the suspension of every vehicle.
So, basically, either ur struts have gone bad or ur springs... if you thinking abt lowering ur car, just go get aftermarket suspension coilovers (a whole kit) or springs. Do some research, this website has everything you will need to know.
All the best.
one guy said strut and another said shock so it got me confused.. the springs are fine

Last edited by Aquarius; 05-18-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:52 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Aquarius
one guy said strut and another said shock so it got me confused.. the springs are fine
shock = shock absorbers = strut. its all the same.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 PM
so fixed the right rear "shock absorber".. took 2 hours.. used O'REILLY/MONROE - Rear Sensa Trac Shock.. im guessin it was an off brand but it fit and only cost me $40 for that and $10 to use the auto hobby shop for a lift and tools

Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Good on your for finding it cheap and DIY'ing, but I'm guessing that aftermarket Monroe isn't going to last very long or handle very well since the damping won't match the OEM Tokico on the other side. Would have made more sense to get 2 slightly used OEM shocks and put those on...

Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Good on your for finding it cheap and DIY'ing, but I'm guessing that aftermarket Monroe isn't going to last very long or handle very well since the damping won't match the OEM Tokico on the other side. Would have made more sense to get 2 slightly used OEM shocks and put those on...
hmmm... ill have to find someone on this site thats willing to sell it for cheap.. its got a lifetime warranty on the monroe shock so if it does break i can just replace it

Last edited by Aquarius; 05-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.