newbie needing brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
So the best pads for an 05 are OEM? I was thinking about switching mine out to ceramic but now i am having second thoughts.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Depends on your goals for the car.

Daily driver? I vote OEM

If you do some autocross or a very aggressive driver you might want to go Hawk or another aftermarket pad. So you kinda need to decide for you what you'd like.

I went OEM because my car is a DD and they function well for my needs.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
BBK

/thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when i did my brake job (brakes started to vibrate when coming to a stop on the off-ramps) i went with centric brand (makers of stoptech rotors) oem spec rotors and went with oem pads. the fronts had at least another 15K miles left on them but the rears were worn down to the backing plate. This is with about 60K miles on the odometer. THe oem pads are not grabby at all. In comparison the 08 g sedan loaner i drove when my car was in for the leaky valve work had very touchy grabby brakes... After half a days worth of driving I'd miss the more progressive braking on my g.

With the proper tools and a good helping hand, you should be able to do the brake job yourself. After reading some more about warped brakes i could have just bought metal pads to scrape off the uneven transferred pad material and reused the stock rotors without turning them. The 05 oem brakes don't dust that much at all and the g is my DD.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM
-MN G Crew-

Am i the only one that likes touchy brakes? Im not a fan of having to push my foot to the floor to get it to stop.

I miss the brakes our 04 had waaay better than the ones i have now.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
60-0 times for the 03/04 vs the bigger oem 05+ is within 2ft from the mag data I have. Not sure what "way better means".

Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
11.3" front rotors on the 05x and 12.6" rotors on the 06x, plus the calipers are dual-piston calipers.

Out back the rotor diameter increased from about 11" to 12.1".

However braking performance is the same. They used aggressive pads on the 03-04's (and 05 x) which made the wheels black as a byproduct. When they went to a less aggressive pad in 05 (2006 on the x) they had to compensate with mechanical advantage (larger rotors) and more clamping force (2-piston caliper vs 1-piston prior) to equal the same stopping distances.

You can prob track down an 05-06 owner who upgraded to a BBk and buy their brakes.
I may actually look into that the next time my brakes need to be replaced. I'll probably go to a less aggressive pad to reduce some of the dusting so the larger rotors and better calipers would be nice. Basically all I would need is the calipers because I could get the pads and rotors online or from a local auto parts store. Can I also assume the calipers are direct bolt-ons?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
I may actually look into that the next time my brakes need to be replaced. I'll probably go to a less aggressive pad to reduce some of the dusting so the larger rotors and better calipers would be nice. Basically all I would need is the calipers because I could get the pads and rotors online or from a local auto parts store. Can I also assume the calipers are direct bolt-ons?

When i asked the question, i was told yes. I almost bought an '05X with the smaller brakes but ended up getting an '06x and already had them.

Basically my understanding is you upbolt the calipers and swap them. Easy as that. However please don't take my word as 100% truth on that since ihave't done it myself. If you search around on here, you'll find guys who have done it and they are the ones to ask.

If you have aftermarket or bigger wheels, the larger OEM brakes do fill them up better. Guy up the street from me has a black '05X and even though it's a 1" difference in rotor size F&R, my brakes fill up the wheels better (same OEM 17's)

Of course BBK's do a much better job, but i'm not gonna spend that kind of money on a commuter car

Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
When i asked the question, i was told yes. I almost bought an '05X with the smaller brakes but ended up getting an '06x and already had them.

Basically my understanding is you upbolt the calipers and swap them. Easy as that. However please don't take my word as 100% truth on that since ihave't done it myself. If you search around on here, you'll find guys who have done it and they are the ones to ask.

If you have aftermarket or bigger wheels, the larger OEM brakes do fill them up better. Guy up the street from me has a black '05X and even though it's a 1" difference in rotor size F&R, my brakes fill up the wheels better (same OEM 17's)

Of course BBK's do a much better job, but i'm not gonna spend that kind of money on a commuter car
Thanks. It will be a while before I would do this since my brakes only have 2K on them right now, but I will definitely do some research and see what I can find. I have OEM 17's right now and will probably only be going up to OEM 18's. If I can find a set of calipers for cheap, I might go ahead and do it.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Red Card Crew

I don't think it's ever been done. If it has, they must have intelligence beyond belief.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Hawks give up cold braking dist performance for less dust on the early 03-04 Gs. They actually probably brake worse when cold and maybe marginally better when very hot.

For early Gs, go oem and put up with the dust unless you accept the loss in performance

On the 05+, no other reason to go aftermarket when these oem pads maintain the world class brake performance and dust very little.
i'm in the same boat myself, and need to replace my brakes/rotors shortly. besides oem what else would you recommend that doesn't sacrifice on cold braking. my only problem w/ oem is that i don't want to constantly replace my rotors every year.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by tkman00
i'm in the same boat myself, and need to replace my brakes/rotors shortly. besides oem what else would you recommend that doesn't sacrifice on cold braking. my only problem w/ oem is that i don't want to constantly replace my rotors every year.
for the price of what most shops quote for new rotors/pads/labor, I bought a slightly used set of 06 Z (same as 05+ non X Gs) front/rear calipers, lines, rotors and almost new pads. But I went ahead and put SS lines in. I'm OEM, get to use oem pads, little dust, same world class performance and my rotors last way longer.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:34 PM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
60-0 times for the 03/04 vs the bigger oem 05+ is within 2ft from the mag data I have. Not sure what "way better means".
They just felt way more responsive.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
They just felt way more responsive.
That could be individual cars "personalities"

I've driven multiple vehicles of the same model, and each one felt a little different. Cars would have the exact same brakes, but one would feel a little more responsive than another

When was the last time you bled your brakes?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Moved to brake section, where it should have been posted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: newbie needing brake pad replacement