Project Mu NS Pad Bedding / Break-In Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Mu NS Pad Bedding / Break-In Question

I just picked up some Project Mu NS pads after receiving great input from you guys, and I have a question about the proper bedding procedure for them. The box says the following (exact transcription):

"Since the brake pad does not bite the disk rotor right after changing the brake pad, the braking force is low. Driving at 45km/h (30miles/h), from 20 to 30 times of usual braking are needed to be done as a warm-up. Make sure the braking force becomes stronger after the warm-up. Avoid hard driving until the driving distance gets more than 40km (25miles) after replacing the brake pad."

"The brake pad of Project Mu gets finished surface heat treatment and be. Accordingly, there is not the necessity of heat treatment."

I'm confused because this is pretty much the opposite of every pad break-in procedure that I've read here on the forums. They all involve several rounds of hard braking right off the bat, and advise against "usual braking" before the process is complete. Thoughts? I plan on installing the pads Saturday and I don't want to screw them up. I'm also putting on new rotors... if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
on the same boat. just ordered a pair of NS pads and centric rotors for my '03 coupe.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Project Mu Pads require a light bedding technique as directed in the instructions. Speed up to 30 mph then moderately press the brakes (do not slam, or ride the brakes). Do that about 20-30 times with at least 30 seconds for cool down in between. You don't need to worry about the 25 mile break in since that is aimed towards track cars doing heavy braking.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 PM
I also found this bedding progress on another forum

Bedding at the track:
1. Make sure the pads are installed correctly and check the pedal is firm before driving the car.
2. Use light braking for 2 laps using about half normal pedal pressure. Apply the brake twice as much as you normally would. I.e. Apply the brakes once ‘between’ corners. You are now making sure the pad is in good contact with the rotor face.
3. Gradually increase speed and braking pressure for another 2 laps to progressively build up temperature
in the Discs & Pads until you are at 80 - 90% race
pace.
4. Cool the brakes by driving the vehicle for another lap with minimal brake use and then return to the pits.
Allow the brakes to cool to ambient. The pads should now be ready to race.

Bedding away from the track:
1. Make sure the pads are installed correctly and check the pedal is firm before driving the car.
2. Drive somewhere with no traffic.
3. Do around 15-20 light brake applications from 80kph(50MPH) to 10kph(5MPH). Do not come to a complete stop.
4. Drive for approx 5 minutes with minimal brake use to allow them to cool slightly.
5. Do another 15-20 brake applications, this time from 100kph(60MPH) to 10kph(5MPH). Do not come to a complete stop.
6. Drive for at least 15 minutes with minimal brake use to allow the brakes to cool.
7. Park the car and allow the brakes to cool to ambient.
8. The pads should now be ready for use.
Notes:Always carry out a visual inspection of the brakes after they have cooled. Make sure the rotor face is in contact with the pads and no signs of glazing are present. If unsure of bedding result, re-do them.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by shishidosan
I also found this bedding progress on another forum

Bedding at the track:
2. Use light braking for 2 laps using about half normal pedal pressure. Apply the brake twice as much as you normally would. I.e. Apply the brakes once ‘between’ corners. You are now making sure the pad is in good contact with the rotor face.
3. Gradually increase speed and braking pressure for another 2 laps to progressively build up temperature
in the Discs & Pads until you are at 80 - 90% race
pace.
4. Cool the brakes by driving the vehicle for another lap with minimal brake use and then return to the pits.
Allow the brakes to cool to ambient. The pads should now be ready to race.

Bedding away from the track:
2. Drive somewhere with no traffic.
3. Do around 15-20 light brake applications from 80kph(50MPH) to 10kph(5MPH). Do not come to a complete stop.
4. Drive for approx 5 minutes with minimal brake use to allow them to cool slightly.
5. Do another 15-20 brake applications, this time from 100kph(60MPH) to 10kph(5MPH). Do not come to a complete stop.
6. Drive for at least 15 minutes with minimal brake use to allow the brakes to cool.
7. Park the car and allow the brakes to cool to ambient.
8. The pads should now be ready for use.
Notes:Always carry out a visual inspection of the brakes after they have cooled. Make sure the rotor face is in contact with the pads and no signs of glazing are present. If unsure of bedding result, re-do them.
All though it will work, I highly suggest following the instructions from project mu.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 PM
the box did not come with instructions. all it states on the site is that it needs "light" bedding..