Pulling + Uneven Pad Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Sen
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pulling + Uneven Pad Wear

So here's something strange...

I just got my alignment done a second time at Firestone. They tell me my alignment is in spec. My camber may be off, but that's not adjustable I guess (stock suspension).

Well, the car is still pulling to the right. I'm pretty certain it's not simply the road leaning.

Firestone suggested I go back to the tireshop and have them switch the front tires. I noticed it pulling to the right shortly I had my front tires replaced. I did that, and it still pulls to the right. Tire pressure is even too.

I had Firestone check my rotors and pads because I have bad pulsating when braking. Mostly noticeable as I come to a stop. Warped rotors? Nope. They said I have uneven pad wear.

My fronts are fine. My rear left pad is at 50%. My rear right pad is at 75%. My toe is in spec. Tires are fine. Car is pulling to the right.

Any correlation? What do I do from here? I would think they (or I) would notice if there was a stuck caliper or something like that. I tend to set off VDC more than I should.

Another thing I read about was sometimes shops mistakenly use sedan specs instead of coupe specs. But would that be a cause?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the car pull when you drive normally or when you brake?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Sen
Just driving normally. It's more noticeable at higher speeds. Braking is straight.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 AM
There's a couple of things that come to mind. The first being that all roads have a hill in them for rain to fall off of. The second being that your alignment may be off. The program they're using can also be used on a Ford Fiesta. The last may be your caliper. I know these all cost a lot. But try the brakes first. You can get all the parts at Autozone or but aftermarket. But that stuck caliper does sound like trouble. I would also suggest getting your alignment checked at a Infiniti dealership. They're the experts and know what they're looking for.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Sen
I'm 99% sure it's not the natural slope of the road. Of course i could have the alignment done at the dealership, but I hate the fact that I just bought a lifetime alignment at firestone.

I'm gonna go back to the shop and bring the alignment specs with me from the FSM in case they were using sedan specs or something...

Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 AM
it sounds more like the brakes not only coild the slides for the caliper could b stuck or also the piston itself can get stuck, also if you only feel the pull while drving and not braking, the square cut seal around the piston could be bad, because that seal is supposed to pull the piston off the rotor when you release the brakes, but if that fails, that is why while braking its fine, but the piston doesnt fully return to rest position therefore causing a pull

Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In spec [the very wide oem warranty spec] and OPTIMUM [the exact midddle of range] are two very very different things. Everyone's standards of perfection are different as is their wallet.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Sen
Originally Posted by Q45tech
In spec [the very wide oem warranty spec] and OPTIMUM [the exact midddle of range] are two very very different things. Everyone's standards of perfection are different as is their wallet.
Good point.

I hope it's not a sticking piston or something causing the pulling, but something is to blame for the uneven wear and pulsating braking.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
mine also pulls to the right...mine is an '04 coupe 5AT...its been pulling since the day i got the car on July 4th last year and when i first got it the wheel would turn a little to the right so if you held the wheel straight, the car would go straight. i got an alignment like a month after i got the car at an infiniti dealership and now when you hold the wheel straight it pulls to the right so you have to hold the wheel to the left a little...i did a test and got into the left lane and let go of the wheel and the car took about 4-5 seconds to get into the right lane

Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Sen
Originally Posted by willis555
mine also pulls to the right...mine is an '04 coupe 5AT...its been pulling since the day i got the car on July 4th last year and when i first got it the wheel would turn a little to the right so if you held the wheel straight, the car would go straight. i got an alignment like a month after i got the car at an infiniti dealership and now when you hold the wheel straight it pulls to the right so you have to hold the wheel to the left a little...i did a test and got into the left lane and let go of the wheel and the car took about 4-5 seconds to get into the right lane
Well, It's my understanding that if you hold the wheel straight, and the car goes straight, then it's probably okay. But if you have to hold the wheel to the left to keep the car moving straight, then something is wrong.

I'm experiencing the latter.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sen
Well, It's my understanding that if you hold the wheel straight, and the car goes straight, then it's probably okay. But if you have to hold the wheel to the left to keep the car moving straight, then something is wrong.

I'm experiencing the latter.

on my car i have to hold the wheel a little to the left to keep the car moving straight. before i got the alignment from an infiniti dealership, the wheel would turn to the right on its own if you let go of the steering wheel, either way it pulls to the right

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Sen
Hmm...

Well if you let go of the steering wheel, it will likely pull to the right. Since we drive on the right side of the road, most roads are tilted due to their construction (water runoff). So if the wheel is straight, and the car is moving straight, then that's good. But at this point, you say you have to over-compensate to make up for the pulling. Something is not right!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I was just about to start the exact same thread!! I got my alignment done at Kramer Tire. Same thing: pulls to the right, steering wheel is not straight and he said my camber is 1.5 degree off... I think thats what he said.
What can be done about this? The camber I mean.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just letting you know you are not alone.
Mine is an 05 AT Coupe.
The guy said I need rortors and pads on the front. I got a second opinion, cause I know how these shops operate, and I deffinetly need pads . Rotors are not a must, but I'm getting those too.
I will probably have them installed next Monday. I will post here again to let you know if it makes a difference.

Good luck and if you find the solution please let us know.

Thanks.