Turning Rotors when Changing Pads??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning Rotors when Changing Pads??

So what's the final say, from someone very educated in brakes. I'm sure there's some mechanics around here.

I changed my front pads awhile ago, did nothing to the rotors, and they seem to be just fine. (I had some squeaking, but I had a TSB performed (new pads/hardware) and the squeaking seems to be gone). The car stops just fine, but I'm coming up to needing new rear pads and I'm in a new city and am yet to find a shop that will change pads without turning rotors.

Now I'm under the impression there's no need to turn rotors unless you have vibration. I plan on bedding the new pads so they will begin to hookup well with the rotors and not experience any loss of performance due to new pads/old rotors.

Whats the final verdict?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's always smart to either turn rotors or replace them on pad change.

Infiniti tech will say they can't be turned because that's how nissan makes their brakes. From factory they are at spec limit so as soon as you use them they are "out of spec". Will it cause harm if you turn a few thousandths off them? no, will they do it at a dealership, no (due to liability).

I honestly would just put new rotors or have them turned. I have brembos so the brake pads are too expensive to do it half of the way then have to replace them sooner due to shortened life.

and yes, no matter how you "bed" them there will be a loss of performance compared to putting new ones on there. Just because you don't feel vibration doesn't mean they are stopping to their potential. They've had 20k+ miles on them with buildup of junk.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by binder
It's always smart to either turn rotors or replace them on pad change.

Infiniti tech will say they can't be turned because that's how nissan makes their brakes. From factory they are at spec limit so as soon as you use them they are "out of spec". Will it cause harm if you turn a few thousandths off them? no, will they do it at a dealership, no (due to liability).

I honestly would just put new rotors or have them turned. I have brembos so the brake pads are too expensive to do it half of the way then have to replace them sooner due to shortened life.

and yes, no matter how you "bed" them there will be a loss of performance compared to putting new ones on there. Just because you don't feel vibration doesn't mean they are stopping to their potential. They've had 20k+ miles on them with buildup of junk.
Actually, Infiniti is one of the places that REQUIRES the rotors to be resurfaced. They refuse to do any work on pads without resurfacing the rotors (which they want $220 big ones for).

I didn't resurface my front rotors at all when I changed my front pads a few months ago and I haven't noticed any ill-effects.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Per service manual they are NOT to be resurfaced. They are to be REPLACED at every brake change. I know because i went round and round about that when i needed service so i ended up doing it on my own for 1/3 of the cost.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow i did not know that, to also replace the rotors with the pads. that could get expensive. i don't have stock brakes anymore but damn. i'll have to look at the manual.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on where you live may dictate if you can get the rotors turned as that is becoming a rare service..plus calculate the time for you to pull the rotors, take them to the garage, wait however long to have them turned and then re-install..so how much is your time worth, esp when you check to see how much the garage charges to turn vice how much new rotors are? How much of a difference is there? Is it worth it to save XX amount especially when you factor in your time?

Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I put new pads on my Brembos up front w/o resurfacing the fronts and got another 10k miles out of the rotors before they hit the wear limit. Performance was just as good as before with no vibration, fade, etc. If the rotors are above the wear limit and aren't scored or causing judder due to uneven pad transfer then you don't have to resurface them. But scuffing them with some 120 grit sandpaper is not a bad idea.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by GJ Hazlett
Depending on where you live may dictate if you can get the rotors turned as that is becoming a rare service..plus calculate the time for you to pull the rotors, take them to the garage, wait however long to have them turned and then re-install..so how much is your time worth, esp when you check to see how much the garage charges to turn vice how much new rotors are? How much of a difference is there? Is it worth it to save XX amount especially when you factor in your time?
also, that time they have your car they will probably flag work hours on it so you're technically still paying more than just the cost of the resurface.

they will work. on some of our bikes we replace pads multiple times before changing rotors or resurfacing. Pads just do not last that long on race bikes but rotors do.