Problems in front!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems in front!

First off, I have replaced both my LCA's and my compression rods awhile back, and I have the revised Z-springs with the Z d-specs on now. My problem is that i have this loud sound coming from what sounds like the front driver side tire, it sounds like a tire majorly out of balance and its loud! I can feel the vibrations from the tire in the steering wheel.( you know that woom woom woom sound?? lol ) , BUT i got them balanced. Now another problem I have that seems to be connected to tire sound, my car is pulling to the left!! I sometimes have to turn the wheel slightly to the right to keep the car tracking straight. I have a F&R camber kit with a recent alignment thats within specs. THIRD problem!! arggghh... Whenever I go over a bump or up my driveway my driver side front pops loud! The more I have my wheel turned the worse it is! I can feel and hear it!

Now here's the kicker, this all happened after I had no choice but smack the **** out of this pothole because some dumbass decided to cut me off during a lane change to AVOID the hole in the ground..and I live in Hawaii..pothole capital. lol

Now I am thinking it could be my compression rod, or that I busted a ball joint or something. Just looking for some input from some of the other tech savvy people on this wonderful site. thanks!

Last edited by fast04G; 11-30-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Update: I checked for a bad wheel bearing, but everything is nice and tight. An quick eye inspection didn't reveal anything out of place. This is driving me nuts! I dont really have the extra funds to take it to the shop as I'm not working as much, and leaving for the military soon. Anyone have any idea's???

Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm getting a popping sound too. It's almost like striking metal on metal. Pretty much nothing when I drive straight and flat roads. It pops when I turn into parking spots or more when turning into a driveway. AND, I've got a "woom woom woom" sounds as well. I've got a nail in one of my rear tires, so I'm getting ready to get four new tires, so that'll tell me if that sound is the tires. But the popping sound is something else.

I'm curious, what made you change the compression rods the first time around? After what I've been reading, it sounds like compression rods. But since you changed your once already, I thought I'd ask.

Anyone else have more feedback for us?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, I've got 22k miles on the car.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by money042
I'm getting a popping sound too. It's almost like striking metal on metal. Pretty much nothing when I drive straight and flat roads. It pops when I turn into parking spots or more when turning into a driveway. AND, I've got a "woom woom woom" sounds as well. I've got a nail in one of my rear tires, so I'm getting ready to get four new tires, so that'll tell me if that sound is the tires. But the popping sound is something else.

I'm curious, what made you change the compression rods the first time around? After what I've been reading, it sounds like compression rods. But since you changed your once already, I thought I'd ask.

Anyone else have more feedback for us?
I changed my compression rods awhile back because the bushings busted. The weird thing is that i had this problem before I replaced both my LCA's and my comp rods, and I thought replacing both the arms and rods that were busted would fix the problem.

I have been thinking about it, and I cant SEE any damage to the suspension. I am wondering if its my tire, and/or my rim. I did hit a nasty pothole, so maybe I bent/warped the rim just a tad?? I understand the OEM 18inch 2004 coupe rims are cast, so maybe it cracked a hairline somewhere??
I don't have any other rims to trial and error with either. But I do remember the guy balancing my tires had trouble with the fronts.

Anyone else chime in??

Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
check your upper strut mount and bushing for damage, if you dont see any physical damage on any of the typical suspension bushings and you're confident its not wheel bearings or ball joints, the strut mount is the only other compliant bushing left

Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by idrive_MD
check your upper strut mount and bushing for damage, if you dont see any physical damage on any of the typical suspension bushings and you're confident its not wheel bearings or ball joints, the strut mount is the only other compliant bushing left
I just got my new struts/shocks/springs installed last month. The shop didn't see anything wrong with anything, and I asked them to check and was standing there with them.

I'm gonna try and flip the front rims, and see if i can narrow it down to tires.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Check your swaybar endlinks as well.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Dan_K
OH SNAP I FORGOT BOUT THOSE! Am I just looking for busted bushings with the endlinks??

Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, you need to take them off and move the joints around to see if it's rough or there are noises. If you take them off, might as well replace them since you have a '04. They are about $15 each.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Dan_K
I'd be surprised if it were the end links considering he says its a rotational noise and its affecting his steering, sway endlinks will only make noise if they are laterally loaded (i should know, my rears knock). I'm beginning to think its a bad tie-rod now that I think about it more. I just re-read his post and noticed he hadn't mentioned them yet. Shot tie-rods will give out all of those symptoms. I had an audi A4 that went through 3 of them in a year, it was a problem for the generation I had and it caused similar issues.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I'd be surprised if it were the end links considering he says its a rotational noise and its affecting his steering, sway endlinks will only make noise if they are laterally loaded (i should know, my rears knock). I'm beginning to think its a bad tie-rod now that I think about it more. I just re-read his post and noticed he hadn't mentioned them yet. Shot tie-rods will give out all of those symptoms. I had an audi A4 that went through 3 of them in a year, it was a problem for the generation I had and it caused similar issues.
Never occurred too me that it could be that. I'll have to check them out. Do you think it could be the inner or outer tie rods?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by fast04G
Never occurred too me that it could be that. I'll have to check them out. Do you think it could be the inner or outer tie rods?
no clue, either one would cause problems. its more common to be outer though

Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
no clue, either one would cause problems. its more common to be outer though
OK thanks, I'm gonna check them out this weekend.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hit a knarly pothole out here in Nor Cal too. It bent my rim and bent & cracked the lower strut mount. Check your strut mounts, a lot of the energy went right thorugh your wheel, hub and strut mounts when you hit that hole.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems in front!