E-brake not holding - suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes E-brake not holding - suggestions

Hey guys, did a search for e-brake problems but didn't find any specific thread on this.

I have a 2005 MT G35 Coupe, and I had my e-brake adjusted by the dealership like 2 weeks ago.

The e-brake doesn't pull up as high as it did before but assume that was due to the dealership's adjustment.

However the e-brake still doesn't hold that well on subtle/moderate inclines.

So my question is:

Is this a sign that I need new brake pads?

Or does the dealership need to readjust the e-brake cable?

Just want to know what might be the cause before I get a costly repair response from the dealership. I know this issue can be different from each Make & Model thus I pose the question to you fellow Gdrivers.

Thx!

Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Might want to inspect the E-Brake shoes themselves to make sure they aren't worn. Or you might have to adjust the shoe clearance at the rear rotor. The rear rotor is a disc but the part where the e-brake shoe rides is more like a drum setup

Old 12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Cool thanks for the suggestion. Is it pretty easy to inspect the E-brake shoes... or would this require some dis-assembly of the rear brake setup for proper inspection?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are 2 parts to adjusting the parking brake:
1. Self locking nut (i think that’s what its called) that's located inside of the car
2. Brake shoes clearance which you adjust on each wheel

The issue you are experiencing can be the result of the brake shoes being spread out too far while the self locking nut was tightened to cause the lever to only go up by a certain amount.

Check out the FSM and let me know if you have any questions. To access the self-locking nut you need to remove the little coin holder inside the cup holder.... nothing else. No need to remove the centre console.

To inspect the brake shoes you need to remove the rear caliper and rotor… it’s not a hard job assuming you have all the right tools, time, etc. I wouldn’t go that far; I’d just re-adjust the brakes according to the FSM.

But also, shouldn't the dealership be fixing this?

Last edited by G35fromTO; 12-15-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Update:

So I'm at the dealership and they are going to look at the adjustments made to the e-brake.

But a service adviser just told me the e-brake is not meant to hold the car (and that this is noted in the service manual), but every manual car I have ever driven has had an e-brake that will hold the car on moderate inclines.

Just frustrating to have to stop the car and put it in gear to do something as simple as return a movie or jump into the store.

Guess if the e-brake is not meant for "holding the car" then what is it for Show? Maybe they want people to drift the car...dunno

Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
service adviser is a *****..tell him i said that..

Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Dumb service advisor, it is meant to hold the car. And is also meant to help stop you in the case of complete brake failure.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a bunch of BS!

On a general note about "Service Advisors". They are just used to most of the people coming to them not knowing anything about the cars. They talk like they are "experts" but in reality majority (not all) of them didn't do a whole lot more than some corporate training.

If you ever do new driver training on a manual car, you will have to use the e-brake on inclines when you're stopped before starting to move. Same goes with the actual exam; there is no tolerance for slight rolling back between letting go off the brake and gear engagement. It's also better on the transmission to engage without the car rolling back. Your e-brake should allow you to do this stuff, but at the moment it doesn't sound like it.

Keep us updated on how this turns out.