Phantom Cup Kit by Platinum VIP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
My understanding of the cup kit is the same as konxeptionz's, the cup kit isn't made for you to ride around with it inflated.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Originally Posted by kennymo
ive never heard that before. riding around with air in the airline for the cup kit is the same thing as riding around in normal air ride with air in the line
I understand what you mean about this one, but from my limited knowledge of air ride I know that you're able to inflate and deflate your ride as you wish, i.e. drive around at 4x4 normally if you wanted to.

However, just like Marcus has stated what he has heard as well, I'm under the assumption that you cannot do the same with the cup kit as you can with air suspension, mostly due to the fact that the cup kits weren't made to act as air ride, but only as a more moderate substitute for those that didn't want the hassle of a huge air tank in their trunk.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ok just checked. you are right. And because of that new fact. That just makes mt argument of why the cup kit is pointless

Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 PM
and the comment about the huge tanks in the trunk. that's all the more reason to do the research I'm talking about. most kits come with a 5 gallon tank. you don't need a 5 gallon tank on a G. get a 3 gallon tank and its almost half the size

Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
The only real reason to run a cup kit over pure bags that I see is the ability to deflate and allow for normal coilover function and handling as opposed to being on bags.

And I asked phantom about how long you can be inflated for and here is the response I got:
So The Phantom Cup Kit is a bag-less air suspension setup. It utilizes your coilovers, and allows you to air up for difficult obstacles. The cups can be filled with air for quite some time. We have not fully tested how long the cups stay up for but the longest I have seen is over 2 weeks since the cups are so precisely made. Installation takes some time but anyone that has installed air bag suspension before can install the Phantom kit in a breeze.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Itasha Coupe
Originally Posted by kennymo
and the comment about the huge tanks in the trunk. that's all the more reason to do the research I'm talking about. most kits come with a 5 gallon tank. you don't need a 5 gallon tank on a G. get a 3 gallon tank and its almost half the size
Information like that helps a great deal. I don't intend on getting bags anytime soon, but it does help for me to have a little bit of knowledge when it comes to an air set up.

One would assume that if I bought a UAS kit or something of the sort, and it came with a 5 gallon tank, I would need to use the 5 gallon tank. If I may impose a question though, Kenny, why does the G only need a 3 gallon tank?

Originally Posted by Xet
The only real reason to run a cup kit over pure bags that I see is the ability to deflate and allow for normal coilover function and handling as opposed to being on bags.

And I asked phantom about how long you can be inflated for and here is the response I got:
So I guess both Marcus and myself were correct in our assumptions of the cup kit then. The cup kit only allows you to inflate and once you deflate, you are limited to the lowest height of your coils then.

And essentially, not even Phantom VIP really knows how long you can ride inflated. Correct? However, this still doesn't address the rumor / question if Phantom VIP recommends you drive around with air in the lines / inflated.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 PM
That and they say 2 weeks. But I'm willing to bet that's 2 weeks of sitting in a shop and not 2 weeks of driving down uneven roads.

The reason for the 3 gallon over the 5 gallon is as as simple as you aren't going to drive down the road in your G hitting the switches back and forth going up and down real fast all the way down the road. You are most likely going to get in the car and air it up and not touch the switches again til you get to your location to air it out. So you don't need much air supply.3 gallons is more than enough to lift a G up to ride height. If you were in a Monte carlo on bags you would probably want a 5 gallon or maybe even 2 because you are probably going to play with the switches a lot more trying to hop down the road or do a 3 wheel at every turn

Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
im going this route when i get a 03-04 M!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
kenny what would you say is a reasonable ballpark estimate for an air ride setup?

Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Kenny appreciate your opinion and i agree there are a lot of noobs thinking a lot of stupid shlt, and i think your probably venting at them. But you aren't taking the people who don't want to sacrifice their coilover performance by going with bags, and also the safety factor, bags are riskier there is no denying that riding around inflated, etc..

Obviously airbags offer a lot more options like going up higher and going down lower, side to side and all that, but there are a lot of people out there who have no interest in doing some lowrider bullshlt with their cars as cool as it looks, but have an absolute interest in having their car ride safely on coilovers while retaining all the handling, and simply having the ability to clear that speedbump they usually cant, or making it up their own driveway into the garage, etc...

I personally am one of those people, my car is absolutely a DD, I just would not be able to feel safe driving my car every single day on inflated rubber balloons hoping nothing goes wrong. Riding around with bags inflated is always a risk, while riding around with a cup kit deflated is basically riding on your coilovers really.

if my car was a show car or weekend driver, i would absolutely go with air bags however no doubt about that.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So is this just for cali owners like the above memeber asked?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
kenny what would you say is a reasonable ballpark estimate for an air ride setup?
the MAX is 1500. and thats for EVERYTHING except install. anymore than that and you are paying to much. and 1500 is on the high end

Old 03-06-2011, 03:48 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Itasha Coupe
Kenny, appreciate the input and the feedback.

Again, another question for you though. With a 3 gallon tank, won't the compressor(s) come on all the time when you hit the switch from going to ride height to dumped status? I would assume with a bigger tank, say a 4 or 5 gallon, you would still have enough pressure inside the tank where your compressor(s) won't come on as often as a 3 gallon tank. Do you run the risk of burning out your compressor(s) faster this way? Or am I just over analyzing?

Sorry, just full of questions. I wanna understand the system a bit better is all.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 AM
if you were to lift the bags up to full lift then yes the comps would most likely come on (depending on what pressure switch you have) and in most cases you would just tap the switches to get the car off the ground. not full lift. but if you have 100% duty cycle compressors then you really have nothing to worry about

Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 AM
and ask away. i have no problem answering questions

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phantom Cup Kit by Platinum VIP