suspension question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 PM
gck
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb suspension question

ok, i want to buy 4 new shocks for a g35 coupe. idk if getting the Monroe brand would be the same as buying them from nissan. is there a difference between them? idont want those crazy shocks that are 1000 and up thats why i m going for either NISSAN or Monroe ..

Ty.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have never thought about getting monroe, but it seems like everyone who bought shocks like tokico d-spec or hp if you dont want damping ability. I believe one of the vendors are selling 4 d-specs for 550.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
i am in the same boat. and someone mentioned the dspecs to me. i did some research on them. and they are a great choice. you figure around 350 for oem struts. or 550 for adjustable ones. to me that extra 220 is worth it. but i like adjustablility

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
id stick with tokico dspecs or hp...your stock shocks are make buy tokico

Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Guess you needed more opinions....?

So Ty, you didn't believe the answer I gave you to your PM. Monroes are great for grandmas Ford sedan but you drive a Infiniti G35 luxury coupe. Tokico HPs or D-Specs are a much better choice. Check our MARKETPLACE here on Driver under vendor suspensions, great prices.
Gary

Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
TOKICO D-specs are great, I have them. If you don't care about the adjustability, go with the Blue "HP"s, same shock, but without the adjusters. You didn't say if your car was standard or sport sport suspension, if standard go with the blues, if sport, go for the gold standard with the d-specs.

BTW, TOKICO makes the OEM shocks for Infiniti/Nissan

TOKICO D-specs

TOKICO Blue "HP"s

Last edited by Texasscout; 02-07-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please realize that everyone's opinion on matters as qualitative as ride compliance and handling from vehicle to vehicle is highly subjective.

Try to find a consensus on the subject and it will be darn near impossible.

If you bought the G35 brand new, and if you want the same ride as stock "new", Tokico's tech reps in LA advise to go with OEM. HPs and D-Specs are valved for 25% greater damping, which means a stiffer, less compliant ride than OEM new. While many drivers won't notice the difference some will. And according to those same Tokico techs, the D-Specs do not adjust to damping LESS THAN OEM or than the HPs.

I would be skeptical of those who say the ride is like stock after they have already fitted lowering springs and after-market sways. Perhaps they never drove a G35 new.

Reasons for going with Monroe's Sensa-Tracs can be found on this link:

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ing-worse.html

Any claim that Monroe makes only "inferior" products cannot be taken seriously. Their OEM lines are in a dominant number of European manufactured Jaguars, Volvos, Audis, SAABs and quite a few Benzes. Monroe-Tenneco's suspension design and manufacture plant in Belgium is the largest plant of its kind in Europe.

Granted Monroe's lower-end "Monroe-Matics" aftermarket products aren't going to favor favorable damping when it comes to cars with handling oriented suspensions. That's why they feature their Sensa-Trac shocks for cars like the Corvette C5, the G35 and BMW M3s.

I have held a Monroe Sensa-Trac for our Gs in my hands and it is at least as "beefy" as the Tokico made OEMs. Moreover the Sensa-Tracs are not really any less expensive than the HPs or KYB GR-2s available for the G35.

If you go to Monroe's web-site, it is true, you won't find any coil-over kits or shocks valved for lowering springs. Because they are dedicated to the OEM and OEM replacement market.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by athens
Please realize that everyone's opinion on matters as qualitative as ride compliance and handling from vehicle to vehicle is highly subjective.

Try to find a consensus on the subject and it will be darn near impossible.
This is so true. Each person has there own idea of what the "perfect ride" is.

Originally Posted by athens
If you bought the G35 brand new, and if you want the same ride as stock "new", Tokico's tech reps in LA advise to go with OEM. HPs and D-Specs are valved for 25% greater damping, which means a stiffer, less compliant ride than OEM new. While many drivers won't notice the difference some will. And according to those same Tokico techs, the D-Specs do not adjust to damping LESS THAN OEM or than the HPs.

I would be skeptical of those who say the ride is like stock after they have already fitted lowering springs and after-market sways. Perhaps they never drove a G35 new.
This is true, after lowering on 350Z springs, D-specs, and Hotchkis swaybars, mine rides VERY tight, it is not a comfortable ride for long cruises, but it is "da shizz" when it gets in the the twisties! Which, after all, is one of the the reasons I bought it. The last run we were on, I caught the Audi and Corvette guys saying, "He keeps up damn well in that thing".

Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM
gck
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
So Ty, you didn't believe the answer I gave you to your PM. Monroes are great for grandmas Ford sedan but you drive a Infiniti G35 luxury coupe. Tokico HPs or D-Specs are a much better choice. Check our MARKETPLACE here on Driver under vendor suspensions, great prices.
Gary
lol i asked this before asking u