Need to replace my braking pads and rotors.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to replace my braking pads and rotors.

Could anyone recommend/suggest what kind of braking pads and rotors I should get for my G35 Coupe 04' model?

Lately, my car brakes been making a squealing metallic noise and I figured it's time to replace my brake pads and rotors. I have almost 57k miles on my car.

I use my car as a daily driving. No performance, racing, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Centric rotors and Hawk HPS or Project Mu NS pads.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
i got DBA slotted rotors (street series) and hawk hps pads all around .

stops better than whene i had stocks ..

Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'll be getting Hawks for braking pads. Need to do some more research on rotors but centric sounds solid.

I am based in LA and I was wondering if anyone knows a vendor or two that sell these parts at discounted prices?

Also, how much do they go for? So I don't get jipped.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
You should think about upgrading your brakes to the 05+ OEM's. Two-piston front calipers and bigger rotors both front and rear, but the real benefit is the same great stopping power with significantly less brake dust. And don't be in a big hurry to get the Hawks. They're great pads once they're warmed up, but their cold stopping ability is nowhere near what OEM pads will give you. Just be aware that during a sudden stop, it might take you an additional 20 feet to stop compared to what you have now. It's not that it's suddenly a huge distance, it's that you're not used to this car stopping so poorly.

If you're staying stock, then the Centric rotors are a great way to go, but consider some OEM pads instead of the Hawks. But if you can find an 05+ OEM setup in the Marketplace, then I'd recommend going that route. It will be a little more money than what you're already planning on spending, but you'll be better off in the long run.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 AM
OEM rottors and Hawk hps pads....Makes sure while you change your brakes to replace your brake fluid, and MOST important check your caliper pisstons (in the rear especial are not seezed!!!!).

Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM
I suggest Centric Posi-Quiet Extended Wears if you want

(1) Less grabby brake feel than OEM, with decent friction - easier to modulate in daily traffic

(2) Long pad and rotor life

(3) Very low dust

(4) Easy to bed

(5) No noise

They are of an organic composition with Kevlar (dissipates heat) similar to Axxis Deluxe pads.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
And those Posi-Quiets will have the same drawback as the Hawk pads, i.e. loss of braking performance, especially when cold. "Less grabby" and "easier to modulate" means they don't work as well as OEM pads at stopping the car. If brake noise is more of a priority for you than actual braking performance, then by all means get these inferior pads. But the only way to reduce noise and maintain OEM performance, as well as extend the life of your rotors, is to upgrade to something other than the 03-04 OEM setup.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
^

Posi-Quiets are "Inferior" pads [for the street]?

That's why they are made in fitments for the Porsche Cayman, Jaguar XK-R and the Lamborghini Gallardo.

Tell that to a client of mine who owns a factory that rebuilds brake calipers for Corvettes which get distributed to Chevy dealers nationwide.

All the caliper rebuilds get either Posi-Quiet or Raybestos Ceramics. These are people who actually engineer these systems for a living rather than as a hobby.

I bought my car new in 2003 and went through the Infiniti revised brake pad swap. When you dish out $40K for a car the last thing you want are brakes that wake up the entire neighborhood each morning.

BTW the Posi-Quiets create enough friction to activate ABS on the G in the dry.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
I couldn't care less what those high-end cars have as pads since their braking systems are significantly different than an 03-04 G35 setup. Show me a test with those pads on an OEM setup where the stopping distances are comparable, and you might have a case. But just because Porsche and Lamborghini use those pads doesn't mean they work as well as the Infiniti OEM pads on a G35.

And making the ABS kick on doesn't mean it will stop the car as well as OEM, especially since the tires have a huge impact on how well the ABS works. If you don't believe me, then run some summer tires in the snow and your ABS will kick on all the time. Yes, you said dry, so compare some rock-hard 60,000 mile tires against a good summer tire and tell me which one makes the ABS kick on more often. If these pads worked so well and so quietly, don't you think Infiniti would have used them instead of the ones they did?

I'm sure they're good pads, but until you can show they stop the car as well as OEM, then it's all conjecture.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
I couldn't care less what those high-end cars have as pads since their braking systems are significantly different than an 03-04 G35 setup. Show me a test with those pads on an OEM setup where the stopping distances are comparable, and you might have a case. But just because Porsche and Lamborghini use those pads doesn't mean they work as well as the Infiniti OEM pads on a G35.

And making the ABS kick on doesn't mean it will stop the car as well as OEM, especially since the tires have a huge impact on how well the ABS works. If you don't believe me, then run some summer tires in the snow and your ABS will kick on all the time. Yes, you said dry, so compare some rock-hard 60,000 mile tires against a good summer tire and tell me which one makes the ABS kick on more often. If these pads worked so well and so quietly, don't you think Infiniti would have used them instead of the ones they did?

I'm sure they're good pads, but until you can show they stop the car as well as OEM, then it's all conjecture.
The ABS activates on 50,000 mile A/S M+S V-rated Goodyears that were OEM for the car.

The only matter that isn't conjecture is the fact that an overwhelming majority of original 2003-2004 owners became fed up with the OEM pads.

As a point of reference I got into my G after 5 years owning an E36 BMW M3. The OEM ATE brake pads on the M3 (which I put 1000 high speed miles during European Delivery), lasted well to 45,000 miles.

The OP simply asked for a recommendation of a replacement brake pad.

Mine was a recommendation based on my experience. Quite simple really.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, where's a good place to buy 05+ OEM brake setup? I'm not talking about BBK's but a setup like this one:

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes/...ke-set-up.html

Any inputs are appreciated. I don't mind shelling out for shipping costs if I have to order from a website or two.

Also, I am based in Los Angeles so it'd be great if you could recommend a vendor or two.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
You're probably not going to find them from a vendor. Best place is in the Marketplace here or maybe on my350z.com. There are other G35 site you can look at too, but this is probably the best place.