DBA 4000XS rotors/Akebono Ceramic Pad reviews

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DBA 4000XS rotors/Akebono Ceramic Pad reviews

I just installed the DBA 4000XS rotors (gold,xdrilled/slots) and Akebono Pro Act Ceramic pads on my 05 G35 manual coupe with 44k miles. The rotors were 600 from one of our vendors (A Perf) and the pads were 140 from tirerack. Install was easy except for nearly impossible lower bolt removal on rear brake assemblies. I have never used either of these products before. I have always been a fan of the x-drilled/slotted feel/look/anti warp characteristics. Used previously on mild to heavily modified MR2 turbos and a moderately modifed Subaru WRX. I read great reviews on both the rotors and the pads prior to purchase. The DBA's even have temperature sensors to give you an idea of their running efficiency/proper install? The DBA`s are surely the highest quality drilled/slotted rotors I have ever seen.

Needless to say I am extremely impressed! Absolutely no squealing or noise I have heard of at all from braking. Car stops supremely well, surely better bite than OEM and DAMN the DBA's Look very very sweet! . I am curious to see if I get any dust with this setup as it was getting pretty bad previously though I realize this was due alot to pad wear as well.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by COMMANDOE
I just installed the DBA 4000XS rotors (gold,xdrilled/slots) and Akebono Pro Act Ceramic pads on my 05 G35 manual coupe with 44k miles. The rotors were 600 from one of our vendors (A Perf) and the pads were 140 from tirerack. Install was easy except for nearly impossible lower bolt removal on rear brake assemblies. I have never used either of these products before. I have always been a fan of the x-drilled/slotted feel/look/anti warp characteristics. Used previously on mild to heavily modified MR2 turbos and a moderately modifed Subaru WRX. I read great reviews on both the rotors and the pads prior to purchase. The DBA's even have temperature sensors to give you an idea of their running efficiency/proper install? The DBA`s are surely the highest quality drilled/slotted rotors I have ever seen.

Needless to say I am extremely impressed! Absolutely no squealing or noise I have heard of at all from braking. Car stops supremely well, surely better bite than OEM and DAMN the DBA's Look very very sweet! . I am curious to see if I get any dust with this setup as it was getting pretty bad previously though I realize this was due alot to pad wear as well.
They might feel like they have better initial bite, but don't be surprised if your stopping distances increase. There isn't a stock replacement option that will stop you better than OEM (113 feet, 60-0), and most will stop worse or much worse. There simply isn't a no-dust, no-noise pad that works as well as OEM. Those are nice rotors though.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:20 AM
I appreciate your opinion. I am sure the OEM are outstanding. I personally don't believe there is a totally FLAT disk rotor (no drill, no slots) on the planet that has more bite or cooling properties of a premium slotted/drilled. Cooling properties alone increase breaking efficiency greatly.

from Stillen

"WHY GET CROSS DRILLED ROTERS OR SLOTTED ROTORS VS REGULAR OEM ROTORS

What do slotted rotors mean and what does it do?
Slotted rotors, have engraved indented lines in the brake rotors. When you brake, the Brembo brake rotors grip on to the brake pad much better. Regular rotors have a smooth surface, while breaking it does not allow the pad to grip onto anything resulting in less braking performance. Slotted rotors improve the braking distance by 40% then a regular OEM (Original Equipment Manufactures) rotor.

What does cross drilled Rotors mean and what do they do?
Cross drilled rotors have holes drilled through the rotor in a specific performance pattern. It makes the rotor look more sporty and exotic. As you brake heat builds up throughout the rotor. If you notice, when braking too much on a regular OEM rotor you will notice when the rotor becomes too hot, you will press the brake but the car will still move as if it does not have brakes. By having cross drilled rotors the heat that results from braking escapes through the holes and puts more cold air from the outside onto the rotor resulting in a cooler and better performing brake rotor then a regular OEM rotor. Cross drilled rotors improve performance under extreme braking by 70% giving Brembo brake rotors superior quality."

Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 AM
I realize these are Brembo claims but I believe it can be applied to other quality brakes as rotor applications as well. there is alot of data on this.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I appreciate your opinion. I am sure the OEM are outstanding. I personally don't believe there is a totally FLAT disk rotor (no drill, no slots) on the planet that has more bite or cooling properties of a premium slotted/drilled. Cooling properties alone increase breaking efficiency greatly.
Slotted/drilled rotors can enhance cooling properties, and that cooling does increase efficiency on repeated stops from speed (like on a track or hard mountain driving), but it doesn't improve initial bite in any way. If you think about the physics involved, how could you generate more initial braking force/friction on a rotor that has less braking surface area (due to the material that has been drilled/slotted out)?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Any rust?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 AM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
^I've had DBA rotors for a while with canyon runs, track events and other hard braking and they haven't warped nor rusted

Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 AM
OEM is not just outstanding, it's bordering on super-car territory. 113 feet is phenomenal. The only car anywhere near the price of a G35 that brakes as well is probably the BMW 3 series. After that, you're spending 3-5 times as much to get equal or better performance.

And for regular driving, all those cooling features will never come into play. The rotors simply don't get hot enough for it to matter. Unless you're tracking/autocrossing, slots and holes are entirely cosmetic. And as G35fromPA said, slots and holes can actually increase stopping distance because of the smaller surface area of the rotor. It's basic physics. If you could actually improve the braking performance by simply replacing the rotors, then everyone would have done it. OEM pads with flat rotors are still the best option.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the 2nd g35 owner to try and rain on my parade. I'll go by my own experience (driving 28 years,owned about 25 cars) but thanks anyway. If you google this topic there are claims on both sides. What I do find fascinating is I cannot find a single test out there that has actually been done comparing them. I have probably owned 8 sets of cross/drilled and have never experienced the claims of cracking and breaking that are out there. Must be because I only buy good ****, or people are maybe drilling oem??. Have had on mildly (honda accord coupe) moderately (320hp wrx) and heavy modified hardware (344whp Mr2 Turbo 11.3 quarter mile).

So I guess the dude on here with the 650hp twin turbo sedan that uses the x-drilled slotted must do it for the looks eh?

Enjoy your cars.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:31 AM
From 2011 Nissan GTR brochure

"Mechanical Notes
Brembo disc brakes w/full floating cross drilled ventilated rotors, monoblock 6-piston front & 4-piston rear calipers,High performance Bilstein Damptronic monotube electronically controlled shock absorbers w/ high-accuracy progressive-rate coils,Hill start assist (2010),Independent double wishbone front suspension,Independent multi-link rear suspension,Speed sensitive pwr rack & pinion steering"

Why on earth would Nissan use cross drilled/vented rotors on their 85k GTR Premium?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
I LOVE my DBA's!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the 2nd g35 owner to try and rain on my parade. I'll go by my own experience (driving 28 years,owned about 25 cars) but thanks anyway. If you google this topic there are claims on both sides.

So I guess the dude on here with the 650hp twin turbo sedan that uses the x-drilled slotted must do it for the looks eh?
No, he has them because he tracks his car. If you'd actually read my post, you'd see that I said "unless you're tracking/autocrossing".

I'll stop arguing over this. The unbiased evidence is out there if you're willing to look for it. BTW, I've also been driving for 28 years. And BTW, you do have some nice rotors. I'm sure they'll work very, very well.

They used cross-drilleds on the GTR because they look good and perform very well on a track. I never said cross-drilled was bad, I just said it's strictly cosmetic in day to day driving for a G35. Many cars with other systems may benefit greatly from upgraded rotors and pads. The G35 just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM
what buckeye saying is 100% true, just for looks.
now i will tell you i have a Lexus 430 sc and just put them my car but, its for the looks only. remember when you remove metal from the rotor surface, your making the surface smaller you have less for the calipier to grab.
that why Brembo sell you a larger rotor with 4 or 6 pistons to make up for surface lost from cross drilling and slotting their rotor. all true my friend.
regards

Last edited by bacardi; 12-17-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was an article by a respected big brake manufacturer that did a few tests with either crossdrilled/slotted rotors (or was it just bbk, correct me if i'm wrong) on a 350z... braking distance did not improve by 40%. It sure did help with fade resistance but stopping distance was not much better than stock.