question about height adjustment for the coilover guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
So, if I'm not mistaken I would first start out by measuring:

I would then measure:

Then I would measure from the center of the hub to which part of the top of the wheel well? Do I arbitrarily just try to measure straight vertically to a point in the very middle?

Then I jack up the rotor until the previous length = the 1st measurement.

Then I measure the same as the 2nd measurement. Then I just adjust this until the value is = 1/2 of the 2nd measurement?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
^measure from center of fender to the ground... not the middle of the wheel.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Xet, I edited my post to better define where take your first measurement. To help more I edited your pic. Do keep the tape measure in the very middle.

In your second pic, I just want to make sure that your not measuring the distance of the damper body. Your measuring from the top of the damper body to the the bottom of the bump stop(the part of the bumpstop that would be the first to contact the damper),

Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
^measure from center of fender to the ground... not the middle of the wheel.
No that is not correct. You cannot do this procedure any other way then to measure from the top of the wheel arch to the hub center.

You are correct for how you measure ride height, it's just not correct for how the procedure we're talking about is done.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
FWIW, here's BC's installation notes about the rear adjustments:

Once spring assembly is completed, you’ll need to measure shock distance. You will want a bit of load from the jack on the spring arm. This will raise the hub just a bit. Make sure the springs aren’t loose. Reach in and assure there is no play. Next step is to assure the shocks lower bracket is roughly 1/8-1/4 inch shorter.

Once lower mount is in same position as above. Raise hub/Spring arm up to accommodate the bolt and nut.
Additional notes:

Adjustments in rear height would be done via the spring assembly. Any adjustments in height will need to change the shock height also. Please refer back to shock position.
It seems like a simpler process, but may not be as accurate as doing actual measurements as posted earlier in this thread.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
In your second pic, I just want to make sure that your not measuring the distance of the damper body. Your measuring from the top of the damper body to the the bottom of the bump stop(the part of the bumpstop that would be the first to contact the damper),
I'm still a bit confused about this part, so I would measure from the very top of the damper (right underneath the top perch) down to the bottom of my bump stop, which is the piece holding the top of the dust boot? That seems extremely strange to me, so I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding some part of what you are saying...

Also right now my struts are as short as they can be and my springs are loose in my spring bucket, reading this:
Make sure the springs aren’t loose. Reach in and assure there is no play.
that literally is impossible it seems.