Nismo R-Tune brake pads and other brake wear question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Brakes Nismo R-Tune brake pads and other brake wear question

So I checked the brakes on my 2005 6MT Coupe with 28394 miles the other day and it looks like I have about 2mm before the wear indicators start hitting the rotors. (See photo). Is there a "mm of pad" to "miles left" conversion chart anywhere? I'd like to get a rough idea of how many more miles I can safely drive the car before doing the replacement.

Also, I'm interested in buying the Nismo R-Tune pads for the replacement but MyNismo.com doesn't list anything for a 2005 G35. I emailed them directly and got this reponse:

We tested that the 2008 ones fit on the 2005-2006 with the larger 2 pot calipers (the same calipers as 2005-2009)

I can't quite decipher that because their site only lists the rears as being 2 pot caliper... what about the fronts? Can anyone confirm if any of these pads will fit a 2005 without any modification? Hopefully one of the <$100 sets do because if it's more than that then I think I'll just go with the stock replacements.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails Nismo R-Tune brake pads and other brake wear question-p1010673-1.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 AM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
I am not an expert but common sense would tell me it all depends on your braking style, if you wait till the last minute to brake every time, or start braking way in advance of a stop...

Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many variables for conversion chart but keep in mnd that the inner pads generally wear faster than the outers. Pad wear indicators (audible scratching sound) will let you know when you have a couple hundred miles at the most left, but I rarely wait that long.

No experience with the Nismo Pads or why you would want R-Compound unless you consistently track the car? These pads may have great heat handling (reduced fade) capabilities but that implies less cold stopping power, and will be prone to more noise / squealing.

I swap pads when I'm gonna track (AutoX) the car. Stock Brembo Pads get replaced with Hawk HPS. Good balance and the Brembo calipers make Pad swaps simple.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM
The R-Tune pads are for street use. From my understanding, they're the upgrade pads that you can get with the Z370 after the loss-of-braking fiasco that one of the car mags experienced while running the car around a track. In the article they mentioned braking decreased by 10ft (don't recall off-hand from what speed). I was also looking at the project mu pads but they cost about 30% more stock and I'm in doubt that they will stop 30% better.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:32 PM
NISMO R-tune parts:
* Engineered for the hard-core enthusiast or weekend racer (off-road use). Street "civility" is compromised for maximum performance. These parts are not warranted by Nissan.

Reading this from the MyNismo site about the R Tune pads caused my comments to be sure you were matching the pads to your use.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayno_san
The R-Tune pads are for street use. From my understanding, they're the upgrade pads that you can get with the Z370 after the loss-of-braking fiasco that one of the car mags experienced while running the car around a track. In the article they mentioned braking decreased by 10ft (don't recall off-hand from what speed). I was also looking at the project mu pads but they cost about 30% more stock and I'm in doubt that they will stop 30% better.
I have a 09 g37 sedan with the Akebonos. The stock brake pads suck and my Project Mu NS pads are over 30% better! When you get new pads, stay away from Hawk HPS pads. Initial bite is weak!!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:38 PM
The Hawk Pads do need to heat up more than stock but their fade resistance and stopping power is much better. They're probaly somewhere in between Stock and R Tune.
Many folks at my AutoX events use them exclusively but I like the stock Brembo pads for the street because they're silent.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 AM
LMG_35C,
Thanks for the info... I was under the impression that the cold braking of the R-Tune pads was better per the C/D investigation article. Quote:

The new, upgraded pad (branded NISMO) is sourced from Federal Mogul’s Ferodo line (no Hobbit jokes), which also halts impressive machinery such as the Ford GT, the Chevy Corvette Z06, and the Lamborghini Gallardo. This pad material is referred to as “low-steel,” a category generally defined as being comprised of 10 to 25 percent steel fibers. The steel helps the pads remain effective at high temperatures, and although the pads were designed for track use, Federal Mogul says noise and dust behavior were significant *considerations in the pads’ construction.

These brakes had noticeably more bite—initial stopping distances were about 10 feet shorter than with the base pads

Perhaps there are not the same as the R-Type pads?

Unfortunately I don't have much in terms of track access so all my driving in on the street and I'm not willing to sacrifice the cold temp performance. I do find the stock brakes initially too grabby but have managed with them (and the weird clutch engagement) for this long.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:39 AM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by tonke73
I have a 09 g37 sedan with the Akebonos. The stock brake pads suck and my Project Mu NS pads are over 30% better! When you get new pads, stay away from Hawk HPS pads. Initial bite is weak!!
I just received my project Mu NS type pads(Brembo)....I have the the hawk HPS pads right now...the initial bite sucks....I cant wait to install the Project Mu pads...

Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IP350GT
I just received my project Mu NS type pads(Brembo)....I have the the hawk HPS pads right now...the initial bite sucks....I cant wait to install the Project Mu pads...
You will love them and will not regret your decision. I have the rear PM NS pads on my Akebonos. They just get better and better after you install them. It takes about 1K to get them broken in. I'll be very hesitant to go to any other pad. Hopefully, my fronts will wear out soon so I can install the PM NS pads on the front.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM
You guys are doing a good job on convincing me to order the PM NS pads... where's the least-expensive place to buy? I doubt my local AutoZone has these.

Also, you guys mention Akebonos... are these the stock calipers that you guys are describing?