Need help on spring set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
this is A GOOD Thread.. i want TO DO an 1 inch drop, but i don't want TO INVEST IN A camber KIT RIGHT NOW.
Will these require A Camber kit

Tein S-Tech springs:
Infiniti G35 Coupe 03-07
Lowers vehicle 1.2" front & .9" rear

wHat do u guys recommend?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Linear springs over progressive springs.
I couldn't find any .8 drop with linear springs

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
from what i've researched, people on here say that anything over a 1" drop with require a camber kit, on another note, i just noticed that my car is lower on the left side than on the right side...left side is a 3 finger gap, right side is a 4 finer gap... hmm

Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo, Broke As A Joke – from South Flawda……what up, homie!!?? Where you at?

Alright, here’s the deal regarding drops and camber kits.

For the last dozen years I’ve gotten my wheel-tire-suspension work done at Dale’s Wheels & Tires on Sunrise Blvd. in Ft. Lauderdale.

He’s a serious small business owner that saves us major cash. Case in point: Non-Brembo brake pads.

*Infiniti: $300; rears or fronts –same price
*Dale: 116 beans, and NOT for a lesser pad. The same or better quality at the best rate, i.e., he values your return business.

Far as lowering, he’s done two other vehicles using Eibach Pro-Kits……..one needed a camber kit at $45/wheel. (2001 Grand Prix GTP)

But I also talk to Dale a lot and he schools me on tech stuff, not to mention, he does work for a lot of the NFL/NBA/MLB ballers in and/or from the area – Frank Gore and Elvis Dumerville to name a couple.

Back to our vehicle.

Up to that 1” – 1.2 or 1.3” range we’re talking, the camber kit is not necessarily an absolute……..gotta do install first, then check how the alignment goes.

And considering the Tein 350z H-Techs went $400 (delivered), Labor $150, Alignment $50 (standard), I was not willing to pay – possibly – more for the camber kit, depending on what was needed.

Yes, coulda come to $700 or $800, so even if I was Frank Gore clocking millions, it didn’t make sense.

That’s why I did the research.

Now to your choice, Tein S-Techs spec’d here:

Tein S-tech G35 coupe & sedan (fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
358/274 R+14% R-18%
Transfers +32% roll stiffness to front

My issue was the rear spring rates – seemed too soft for MY desires (but that’s just me) – though I wasn’t overly concerned about the need for a camber kit.

At worst, I figured I may need a kit for the front @ 1.2”, but maybe not.

Cost woulda been minimal in my estimation (you ain’t the only one broke as a joke), so I would’ve taken the chance, i.e., the drop was kind like the Eibach Pro-Kit (1.1” front/1.0” rear, but Eibach spring rates too soft in the fron; 229 lb/inch on the chart.)

So, needless to say I played it safe and you can see the noticeability (is that a frickin word? Probably not, but you get the point.) of the approximately .75” average drop I got.

Beyond that, you’re doing your due diligence. Whatever you choose, I’m pretty sure it’ll be sweet.

When you do, holla at ya boy!! I wanna check it out. If it’s cool with you, I’ll meetcha somewhere and we’ll shoot the sh— for a minute, maybe go for a hi-speed blast somewhere.

I like the Southbound ramp going from I-595 to I-75 out west near Sawgrass Mills.

Or, for some straight line 110-120 mph blasts (125’s my highest), except for some long guard rail stretches on turnpike where troopers can’t hide, the turnpike heading just north of Broward towards the Palm Beach Service Area is my favorite safe, can’t-get-no-ticket-if-you’re-payin-attention, route.

(That's my turnaround point, just after the Ft. Pierce toll both; about $3.00 on the return toll. I'll pay yours. )

Unless I’m heading to Disney, of course.

Happy hunting! Rock on.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
i actually found a vendor on here that sells Tein S-techs for a really good price $182 shipped, which give a 2" drop front and 1.3" drop rear, going to order them today!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Sweet!!

Alright 35G'dUp, don't be holdin out on the pics if/when you do it...........leaning towards "when".

Sounds like you're highly motivated.

And confidence is high that pics will come soon.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM
yeah im not the type of person to wait around and do something, when i want it done it gets done, hahaha. Right when the springs arrive they'll be installed and pictures will be taken before and after they settle, this is my first time buying anything other than coilovers so its going to be an interesting experience. I've always driven slammed cars so not sure how it'll be with this. Just for an example, heres a pic of the car i built before getting my G

Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM
just placed the order for the springs, should be here by Wednesday

Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
this is A GOOD Thread.. i want TO DO an 1 inch drop, but i don't want TO INVEST IN A camber KIT RIGHT NOW.
Will these require A Camber kit

Tein S-Tech springs:
Infiniti G35 Coupe 03-07
Lowers vehicle 1.2" front & .9" rear

wHat do u guys recommend?
Yes, you will need camber kits. The only alternative would be knowing someone who could regularly flip your tires for cheap.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:41 PM
35G'd UP:

Oh! Is that an early 90s Acura Integra............Integra GS-R, maybe? Hmmm. One of my favorite sporty front-drivers. Light and quick; decent power.

Torque-steer? None that I ever noticed. (My cuz had one, and I drove the HELL out of it. And I mean HARD!!)

Then again, the vast majority of the time Honda seems to do pretty good job of not putting too much torque up front.

Not to mention, equipped with those sweet, high-revving VTEC engines and (probably) the best manual shifters around. The current TSX 4-banger is a great example; powerful V-6 is tempting, but not for how I drive.

(In fact, the hooligan in me may be getting an AWD G37 next; point the wheel, floor it, and hang on. Imagine that, an all-wheel-drive, glorified 370Z 2+2?? Hooligans rejoice!!)

Now if somebody could just figure out what the hell Ford is doing with their For-Euros-Only Ford Focus RS (below) - with the the turbo 5-cylinder that puts out 300hp to the front wheels, it would be nice.

Why only the Euros get that I'll never know. And don't those clowns own Mazda, whose Mazdaspeed 3 is world famous for outta control torque-steer?......but I digress. I'm pretty much done with U.S. manufacturers getting my cash.

Anyway, dude, good to see your ETA on those springs is a couple days away. Enjoy the install.

Attached Thumbnails Need help on spring set up-2009-ford-focus-rs.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
yea springs should be here by Wednesday and hopefully installed this weekend