Springs, springs, springs.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Springs, springs, springs.

So there are a hundred threads on here dedicated to finding the "ideal" spring and yet I now feel more lost then when I first started. More then anything I've at least begun to narrow down my wish-list so maybe a little more specific guidance will help.

I'm primarily looking for a setup that gets me as close as possible to that "driving on rails" feel that I used to have with my S2000. I'm saying "as close as possible" because I'm not looking to turn my car into a track car or drop $3k on suspension mods. I, like many others that have posted on here, are looking for a balance between comfort, looks, and performance. I'm willing to sacrifice a little in each category to balance out for that perfect setup.

Below is the direction I'm headed:
-I'm already set on getting a camber kit for both front and rear; so I'm not worried about camber issues.
-Looking for 1"-1.25" drop
-Performance in mind, I'm thinking with going slightly stiffer then stock springs.
-Thinking linear springs; 350Z.

Springs I'm considering right now although I'm open for suggestions:
-RS*R Ti2000
-Swift Sport
-Tanabe Sustec GF210 (350Z application might be too big of a drop 1.5/1.7 for G35)
-Hotchkis (although think it is too soft of a setup)

Notes:
-I'm running a Kuruma Z front
-Impul Sides
-OEM 19's
-Currently sport suspension
-Don't plan on upgrading shocks for at least a year.

So there it is... let me know what you think and if you suggest something please let me know why.

Also - prefer advice with people running current setups - not future buys.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
have you looked at Z Cobb springs ?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Yeah but haven't heard the best reviews. I'm primarily between the above springs.. leaning towards Swift and RS-R.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have Cobbs, they are great and exactly what you want, but they might be too low in the front for your bumper as I am on an OEM bumper and scrape everywhere. Dont let the whole "doesnt fit properly" argument sway you, its total BS and I have about 20K miles on mine without a single issue.

Here are my suggestions:
-Get only a rear camber/toe kit only, you will not need a front camber kit with the drop you are looking for.
-Get Tokico D-spec shocks with rear adjustment extensions. These shocks will help you adjust between the comfort and stiff settings you might be looking for.
-Get either the Swift or RSR springs, you really can't go wrong with either one.
-No harm in used springs or camber/toe kits either. I would only get new shocks though.
-Get Progress Technology sway bars, they will help almost as much and cost a lot less than other brands!

Now, alternatively you might be able to find a low mileage used set (or even new) coilovers from BC for a very affordable price, so I wouldn't rule that option out either.

Additionally, I think an ideal setup would for you would the 350Z Tein H-techs on D-Specs with a rear spring mount mod to level off the rear.

Either way you choose to go you are on the right track, I would just not bother with the front camber kit.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I agree with iDriveMD ..
Cobb is probably what you are looking for .. the front is a little lower than the rear but most set ups are like with any type of Z springs. I havent had a problem with mine yet ..

Before:

After:

Not too many people have these springs on their G and its a shame because they are really great springs .. they are a little stiffer than OEM and if you're looking for linear springs .. you've found em.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
I have swift sports for the 350z pair with tokico d-specs and love them....i like stance they give me...with my 19s they are fine but with my stock 18s i have to be careful with my impul sides on driveways

Old 11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no fair you have the KumuraZ front bumper w/ impul sides I'm contiplating getting in on the Kumuraz group buy but I don't want to upgrade my sides yet. In your opinion, will the Kumuraz front bumper look crappy w/ the stock sides. If you have any pics of your Kumuraz please post them. Sorry about the hijack!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm really between RSR and Swift. I'll look into Cobb too.

If I go with Swift, do I get the Sport springs that are linear and 336/364, or, the Spec-R progressive springs that are 420/460??

Originally Posted by M302_Imola
no fair you have the KumuraZ front bumper w/ impul sides I'm contiplating getting in on the Kumuraz group buy but I don't want to upgrade my sides yet. In your opinion, will the Kumuraz front bumper look crappy w/ the stock sides. If you have any pics of your Kumuraz please post them. Sorry about the hijack!
I got my front and sides from Arch - will be installing this weekend. If you search "Kuruma Z" there is a picture thread of like 30 pages showing different setups with the KZ front. I know there are a few pics in there with the stock sides.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:10 PM
get the sport springs if you go with swift.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I personally have no experience with any form of springs setup.

With the research I have done though, I would recommend Cobb springs as they appear to be the only spring that is linear and is actually stiffer than the OEM sport springs. When you lower a car and have springs that are just as soft if not even softer (the tanabe's are softer than OEM), you'll run a lot of risk of bottoming out.

Also, if you are at all performance minded, do not settle for progressive springs as people have said that if pushed to the limits, the sudden increase in stiffness will cause the car to become very unbalanced and unstable. Also bottoming out will be very easy as the travel needed in order to bottom out compared to OEM is a lot less, thus causing that suspension "shock" that will upset the car's balance. That's why you want linear and stiffer springs.

Look into the Cobb springs or the Swift sports (the progressive ones have those high numbers as those are the FINAL spring rates, which means when the spring is fully compressed) and RSR springs, all of which are linear and maintains a decent amount of stiffness.

Last edited by sTeadFasT96; 11-11-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I think I'm going to go with the RSR springs for the 350Z since they are 345/417 and will get me 1.1" drop front and rear.

I was thinking about going with Tokico D-Specs but I just spoke with the company and they are saying they won't fit on coupes with Sport Suspension... which doesn't sound right to me. Although it does say the same thing on their downloadable catalog.