Front end clunking noise low speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tyau
Compression rods do not cause clunking unless they are leaking. I have yet seen actual leaking compression rod bushings personally.

Endlinks are cheap and easy to replace. Might want to change them first to isolate the problem if you are unsure.
thanks for your fast response. which endlinks would you recommend? i was looking into some SPL ones

Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SPL links are very good. I use them personally.

But all you want to do is to restore ride quality, then any replacement endlinks will do.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
Over the past week my car has developed a metal on metal type clunk noise that seems to be coming from the front drivers side. It almost sounds like a broken strut or worn balljoint. I have about 71K miles and lowered on 350Z springs up front with sport struts and Stillen sway bars.

The noise only occurs at low speeds on rough roads/bumps. Anything over 25MPH there is no noise at all. I thought my sway bar was loose, so I got under the car yesterday and checked all bolts and the notorious endlinks. Everything was tight
and all bushings appeared to be okay too. Anything else I should look at/for?
Did u ever resolve this, cuz I'm having the same problem. Noticed it a couple of wks ago. Hear it mostly when I brake at low speeds. I found a tsb and have an appt nxt wk w/deal ership .I just found out that front end isn't stock height and is lowered so the Jack I have w ont work so I can chk myself.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
I changed out my endlinks and the clunking noise is still there. My next guess is the strut mount is bad?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
The G35 utilizes shocks and front upper arm suspension. The upper shock mounts would not cause noises like they do on a strut setup. If replacing the endlinks doesn't solve the problem, then it is very likely other suspension components. A worn ball joint can cause clunking.

You may want to check and see if the lower transvere inner bushings are in good shape.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by tyau
The G35 utilizes shocks and front upper arm suspension. The upper shock mounts would not cause noises like they do on a strut setup. If replacing the endlinks doesn't solve the problem, then it is very likely other suspension components. A worn ball joint can cause clunking.

You may want to check and see if the lower transvere inner bushings are in good shape.
i thought the front suspension used struts?? Also the lower transverse bushing on my car is centered and looks fine, its the same bushing pictured on the first page of this thread right? If this bushing failed, wouldnt it make noise all the time, and not just randomly/over certain bumps/pot holes?

Edit: I am going to replace my sway bar bushings since I've read that could be the source of the knocking/clunking as well.

Last edited by RADIOGUY21; 02-28-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
just an update...

I have replaced the endlinks and sway bar bushings and the clunking noise is still there. It has gotten much worse with time. My next guess is the lower control arm (transverse link) bushing(s) are the culprit? How much should I expect to pay to have the bushings pressed out and replaced? I would do both sides while i'm at it.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It is possible that with your shorter springs and stiffer bar that even new stock end links could clunk. I have Z springs and as soon as I installed Motordyne sways, I got the same clunk you describe coming from one corner. I removed the sways completely, just to verify they were the cause of the clunk. I drove for two months like that (it's like driving a Buick) while waiting for the SPL end links to arrive. Unfortunately after installing the SPL end links, the clunk was back. Yes, I made sure there was no preload on the bars, everything was torqued to specs, and that the links were aligned at the best possible angles.

Anyway, I would remove those sway bars and end links completely just to verify that the problem isn't with them. It doesn't cost you anything, and a drive around the block will immediately give you an answer. If you only remove the front bar, watch out for crazy oversteer.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
I got the same clunking/knocking sound in the front right at low speed only and over the smallest of bumps or pavement cracks. Replaced the end link, and the lower transverse control arm(since I snapped off a bolt when trying to remove the lil ball joint type thingie the end link was attached to). Noise still there. Haven't had a shop impact torque the top center strut bolt yet, but it seems awefully tight when I try to wrench it....dealer said compression rod without even really looking at it, but would it really make that noise? It doesn't have a whole lot of play in it at all. I don't wanna throw $200 more at a part that isn't the problem. Every other bolt I could see I checked for tightness...

Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Hopefully the last update...car is at the dealer. Diagnosed drivers side compression rod is bad. This will be the 3rd compression rod at 74K miles.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:16 AM
any new updates?

my clunking is there.. i'm planning on replacing the compression rod bushings and end links with SPL.

also is anyone's car feel loose around 60mph +?

i had an alignment done and it feels like the toe is off, but the print out states it's within spec.. anyone know what i can do to fix that?

i've had my lower control arm bushing replaced with whiteline already.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Well mine did the same thing (clunk during slow right turns) and it turned out to be torn A-arm bushings way up top... you can see them looking straight up behind the wheel on a lift. They weren't OEM (Ichiba ****), but I suspect OEM's with high mileage could do the same.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a similar noise now as well. I mainly notice it when first moving from a start. I dont however notice it after moving off from being stopped at a light.

Makes a slight grinding noise from drivers side front and then thats it. Seems like its usually about the time it goes from 1st to 2nd but I don't think its the tranny since it doesnt do it every time.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Can anybody explain where the endlinks are and what is it's function?? Any pics? I have the same clunking noise too! And it's annoying as he'll!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM
mine has been doing this also. I hill check those things today.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end clunking noise low speeds