Front end clunking noise low speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the same clunking noise. Going to replace my compression rods, that should get rid of it.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here was my solution to eliminating front end clunking etc.

1. Identify worn bushings and torn ball joint boots
2. Search forums for related issues
3. Compare pricing on OEM replacement vs. 1AAauto parts w 1 year warranty....
4. Roll dice.. purchase 1AAauto kit for front lower control arms and compression rods
5. Make sure I have all of the tools I need to get the job done
6. Jack that **** up and start turning wrenches
7. Make sure to follow torque specs and place suspension under load while tightening to torque specs.
8. Go get an alignment
9. Take her for a test drive and celebrate saving over 1k in repair costs

Parts: about tree fiddy $350.00 after shipping and tax.
Labor: Free
Time: 4 hrs + 3hrs shop time labor to press lower ball joints (Dealer will try and sell you entire knuckle > find a good shop!)

Attached Thumbnails Front end clunking noise low speeds-frontsuspensionassembly.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
yea. end links will make clicking noises over bumps... id do a wheel bearing check... jack the front drivers side up and grab the wheel and see if there is play when yanking the top wheel spoke out then the bottom spoke out... keep yanking on opposite ends like you are trying to pull the wheel off.... if it moves away from the car more than a few mm then you need new bearings... they will make a clunking noise... might also make your car slow down faster than it should when letting off the gas... also, after parking the car, put your hand on the center cap and see if it is hotter than the rest of the wheel. thats a telltale sign

Old 07-11-2014, 03:36 AM
my car has the same problem

Originally Posted by stinkytofu89
any new updates?

my clunking is there.. i'm planning on replacing the compression rod bushings and end links with SPL.

also is anyone's car feel loose around 60mph +?

i had an alignment done and it feels like the toe is off, but the print out states it's within spec.. anyone know what i can do to fix that?

i've had my lower control arm bushing replaced with whiteline already.
Hey I know its been a long time but I hope you remember what fixed your issue. I have the same problem! clunking noise and steering feels loose and some vibration at highway speeds...I would really appreciate if you could tell me what fixed this for your car.

thanks

Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 AM
same issue with my car

Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
Hopefully the last update...car is at the dealer. Diagnosed drivers side compression rod is bad. This will be the 3rd compression rod at 74K miles.
Hey I know it's from long time ago but my car has the same issue as yours...do you remember if replacing compression rods fixed this issue or if the clunking noise came back...I got mine replaced but clunking is still there.....

Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by murderface
Here was my solution to eliminating front end clunking etc.

1. Identify worn bushings and torn ball joint boots
2. Search forums for related issues
3. Compare pricing on OEM replacement vs. 1AAauto parts w 1 year warranty....
4. Roll dice.. purchase 1AAauto kit for front lower control arms and compression rods
5. Make sure I have all of the tools I need to get the job done
6. Jack that **** up and start turning wrenches
7. Make sure to follow torque specs and place suspension under load while tightening to torque specs.
8. Go get an alignment
9. Take her for a test drive and celebrate saving over 1k in repair costs

Parts: about tree fiddy $350.00 after shipping and tax.
Labor: Free
Time: 4 hrs + 3hrs shop time labor to press lower ball joints (Dealer will try and sell you entire knuckle > find a good shop!)
Update: 1AAauto kit is showing signs of bushing failure at the shock mount bushings. All others appear intact. I would recommend NON-OEM as a temporary fix only.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
All oem design will fail... you do not need to replace the arms, just the bushings. The exception to this rule is for the compression rods IF and ONLY IF your ball joints are going bad

Recommend the Whiteline bushings -

Most common are the lower control arm inners ( will clunk and throw off alignment)
http://www.tollboothwilley.com/#!pro...ushings-w52991

Second most common is the compression rod bushings (they start to squeak like an old spring bed)
http://www.tollboothwilley.com/#!pro...ushings-w83389

If you plan to replace all the fronts its good to go with the full kit as purchasing as the same time will save considerable money
http://www.tollboothwilley.com/#!pro...ing-kit-wek003

The rear diff bushing is also a very common failure
http://www.tollboothwilley.com/#!pro...ial-kit-kdt911

however - that is included in the ESSENTIALS kit above

Old 12-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tolboothwilley™
All oem design will fail... you do not need to replace the arms, just the bushings. The exception to this rule is for the compression rods IF and ONLY IF your ball joints are going bad

Recommend the Whiteline bushings -

Most common are the lower control arm inners ( will clunk and throw off alignment)
http://www.tollboothwilley.com/#!pro...ushings-w52991

Second most common is the compression rod bushings (they start to squeak like an old spring bed)
http://www.tollboothwilley.com/#!pro...ushings-w83389

If you plan to replace all the fronts its good to go with the full kit as purchasing as the same time will save considerable money
http://www.tollboothwilley.com/#!pro...ing-kit-wek003

The rear diff bushing is also a very common failure
http://www.tollboothwilley.com/#!pro...ial-kit-kdt911

however - that is included in the ESSENTIALS kit above
Got the wek003 for the AWD, 2006X?

The install guide says not for AWD models...

Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Same bullshit here too. Ive done them twice in 6 months and its slowing clunking louder and louder again. I hate this piece of **** car. This G35 will be the last Infinit that I ever buy.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Back from the dead. I'm ready to eat a GD bullet chasing this F'n noise down.

03 G35 Sedan 161, xxx. Well maintained.

I have replaced:
Both Radius arms (compression Rods)
Both BALL JOINTS
Both Lower Control Arms
Both Endlinks
4Wheel alignment done.

This GD clunk/Thunk at low speeds over uneven roads or washboard on a gravel road is still there. Upper A-Arm bushings and ball joints seem tight, wheel bearings are good.

Any other ideas? I have searched and searched here and other chat boards and everyone points to the same things (what I mentioned above)

Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Another infrequently mentioned cause are your upper shock mounts. Check those for noise, it they're the cause they are pretty cheap to replace.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Another infrequently mentioned cause are your upper shock mounts. Check those for noise, it they're the cause they are pretty cheap to replace.
I have seen those mentioned in other threads, but many say they don't' wear out like a true front strut, since they don't turn when the steering turns.

Maybe I'll yank the strut assemblies this weekend and give them a look.

Have you had personal issues with these on your G?

Old 12-15-2016, 04:02 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No but I have friends that did.........

Old 12-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Is it possible that a worn motor mount is causing the noise? I only bring this up as I replaced front suspension on my old I35 and the noise was still there. I then discovered a loose motor mount; replaced it and the noise disappeared. I realize it's not apples to apples as the I is FWD, but thought I'd throw it out there.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (12-19-2016)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 AM
i have the same damn thing...did you ever figure it out? at low speeds, with any slight imperfection in the road there is a hard fast clunking, almost seems by the firewall... like a quick tap of a hammer on frame and you can almost feel it in the steering... i replaced the end links that did nothing as i suspected but they are cheap and easy....

usually i do all my own wrenching but i have an awesome mechanic for back-up that fixes my failures. We put the car on the lift and were underneath it for over and hour and half trying to identify anything broken, prying with breaker bar, test driving the car...nothing...

its driving me nuts, the car is tight, tracks lazer straight and handles great... it is bone stock btw

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end clunking noise low speeds