Springs for a Sedan with standard suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011 | 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by G35SedanGrn
post b4 and after pics plz!!!
X2. Im always looking for pics of various set-ups.

Old 03-06-2011 | 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by ryanm8
Well, I just picked up a complete 08 350z suspension

So let's hope there are no fitment issues, lol.
If they dont work out for you, I have the tried and true G/Z spring set-up that I just pulled off my car that I plan to sell.

Old 03-06-2011 | 12:05 PM
I pulled off the same^ a few months ago. After 4 years, I was starting to have camber issues causing uneven wear on my tires. It worked great and looked much better than the stock set up I'm back on now.

Old 03-06-2011 | 04:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by darnelled
I pulled off the same^ a few months ago. After 4 years, I was starting to have camber issues causing uneven wear on my tires. It worked great and looked much better than the stock set up I'm back on now.
i believe for something like that you have to get an alignment to g coupe specs, thats the reason for camber issues
im not 100% sure but its something like that someone chime in please

Old 03-06-2011 | 09:23 PM
|
I'm on spring break next week so I'll get it on then and post up some pics

Old 03-06-2011 | 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
i believe for something like that you have to get an alignment to g coupe specs, thats the reason for camber issues
im not 100% sure but its something like that someone chime in please
Won't fix it. My G sedan, currently on Z/coupe springs, feathers the inner edges of the front tires regardless of the alignment setting. It's just something you'll have to live with if you drop the car an inch or more.

If you have sporting intentions for you sedan, I strongly recommend getting the Z struts. They have quite a bit more dampening than the sedan Sport struts and make for more controlled handling. BUT be prepared for a stiffer ride, especially on pavement cuts.

The way I've dealt with the front inner tire feathering is to cross rotate the front tires (side to side) to knock down the feathered edge. I have to rotate every 2000 miles or so. It takes me about 15 minutes to do every 3 months so it's not a big deal. It still doesn't completely aleviate the annoying tire roar below 40mph as the tires wear.

Old 03-06-2011 | 10:24 PM
Banned
i see, i wasnt sure i thought someone in the past said that.
so no way huh?! im very surprised even w/ only a z/g drop

Old 03-06-2011 | 11:45 PM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
Originally Posted by DaveB
Won't fix it. My G sedan, currently on Z/coupe springs, feathers the inner edges of the front tires regardless of the alignment setting. It's just something you'll have to live with if you drop the car an inch or more.

If you have sporting intentions for you sedan, I strongly recommend getting the Z struts. They have quite a bit more dampening than the sedan Sport struts and make for more controlled handling. BUT be prepared for a stiffer ride, especially on pavement cuts.

The way I've dealt with the front inner tire feathering is to cross rotate the front tires (side to side) to knock down the feathered edge. I have to rotate every 2000 miles or so. It takes me about 15 minutes to do every 3 months so it's not a big deal. It still doesn't completely aleviate the annoying tire roar below 40mph as the tires wear.
Mine has been making a noise that I though was a wheel bearing... I wonder if it's just the tires.

I need to throw my 17s back on and drive it and see if it changes :/

Old 03-07-2011 | 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
Mine has been making a noise that I though was a wheel bearing... I wonder if it's just the tires.

I need to throw my 17s back on and drive it and see if it changes :/
If you get a light grainy vibration below 40mph and the car has a light roar, especially when slowing down, then it's most likely the feathering issue. The noise gets louder the worse the tires become feathered.

Crank your tires hard in on direction and run your hand across the inner portion of the tire clockwise. If the inner edge of the tire feels bumpy, scalloped, etc. and not completely smooth, then you've got the feathering problem.

Old 03-07-2011 | 12:36 PM
|
So how can you totally prevent the feathering? Camber kit?

Old 03-07-2011 | 02:39 PM
A $500+ camber kit has been known to reduce or fix the problem, but it's my understanding that most of the issue is caused by an excessive caster angle and play in the bushings causing a toe issue, not camber. I never went with a camber kit because those are wrought with problems too like sheered bolts, camber that keeps falling out of range, etc.

I've just learned to live with it and cross rotate often. I still get 17K-20K miles out of sticky summer tires plus auto-x events thrown into the mix.

Old 03-08-2011 | 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
A $500+ camber kit has been known to reduce or fix the problem, but it's my understanding that most of the issue is caused by an excessive caster angle and play in the bushings causing a toe issue, not camber. I never went with a camber kit because those are wrought with problems too like sheered bolts, camber that keeps falling out of range, etc.

I've just learned to live with it and cross rotate often. I still get 17K-20K miles out of sticky summer tires plus auto-x events thrown into the mix.
Thanks DaveB,

I'll remember to cross rotate the fronts in 3K miles, just recently rotated front to rear.

Old 03-08-2011 | 09:12 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
i sent you a message ^^^

Old 03-08-2011 | 10:00 PM
wow i was planning on buyin four new tires for my 19" rays but i think i might just get the fronts since one is flat and the other is on its way

i thought is was because i never got a alignment but now i think i might buy used tires lol ...i just want my car to look good guess i gotta pay

Old 03-09-2011 | 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by g35kid00
wow i was planning on buyin four new tires for my 19" rays but i think i might just get the fronts since one is flat and the other is on its way

i thought is was because i never got a alignment but now i think i might buy used tires lol ...i just want my car to look good guess i gotta pay
Huh?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Springs for a Sedan with standard suspension