single "clack" noise when releasing brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
single "clack" noise when releasing brakes

Well, I've tried a lot of combinations of key words to find a post that addressed this, but to no avail. Hopefully someone here can tell me if this is a normal G35 (5AT) gremlin or not. Sorry in advance for the wordy post, but I like to provide as much info up front in the hopes of a more pinpointed solution.

First off, I just replaced all four rotors and pads. Also, I've just replaced both the compression rods AND the traverse link. My struts are about 1yr old and the endlinks have been replaced with the struts.

Here's what happens: Once the brakes have been "warmed up", aka used a few times, a "clack" noise appears in the front of the car whenever I *release* the brake. Not when I press it, only when I release it. When the brakes are cold, there's no noise. I know it's not the shifter/brake/park release solenoid. I can hear that separately when I shift. Not the same noise. All the bolts are tight/torqued to specs. Also, it's not a constant clicking, just a noise that happens once per brake release.

Do you think it's the pads shifting in the caliper when warm/hot? Broken transmission mount? ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Last edited by ascdesigns; 03-06-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What pads and rotors did you get?

I not sure if it's the same noise, but my FX now does that. I changed pads to Stoptech Street Performance pads. The reviews are that they are very "grippy," and I must agree. I think the noise (when I release the brake) is normal. I believe it's the pad disengaging/releasing from the rotor. It's pretty loud and kind of resonants throughout the front of the car. And just like you, no squeaking or other noises when i depress the brake.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I bought some rotors from NAPA along with their premium ceramic pads. I also did a full flush on the brake system. The new rotors and pads really are "grippy" but I'm also wondering if my tie-rod ends may be going. I crawled under the car this morning and noticed that my power steering rack has a very slight coating of oily dirt on the passenger side boot. No drips or major fluid accumulation, but perhaps my inner tie rod may be going? Don't know if that would be a cause of a "knock" or "clack" noise.