Compression Rod bushings - pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compression Rod bushings - pics

Does anyone have pics of their bad bushings? I've had the creaking noise when going up/down driveways and when slowly going over bumps in turns, so I thought it was the bushings, but they actually still look good. I bought the new replacement bushings, but it looks like I won't really need to replace them. Now, what else could be causing the creaking noise?
I took pics of the stock ones still on the rod:

This is a pic of a new replacement bushing - part#54570-AC70A

Nothing is torn...there are small tiny cracks when you stick a screwdriver and pull in one direction or whatever, but the rubber isn't busted or even close to being torn. What do you guys/gals think? Also, wanted to add I got quoted for having the old ones pressed out and put the new bushings in - between $80-100, which is a joke, I can buy my own press for that kind of money! Has anyone used a manual rental press from AutoZone by any chance?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you have the CR's off the car, I'd just go ahead and swap the bushings and see what happens. The marginal cost and effort is minimal at this point.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
+1. Youve already done the hard part by getting the arm off the car. Pressing out the bushing is not hard at all.

I bought a 6 ton press from Harbour Frieght for like $80 bucks and it worked just fine. One of my bushings was stuck and seized on the body and I was actually able to use a gear puller to press the old bushing out of the arm while it was still attached to the car.

I'm sure you can find a local shop that would do it for less, but if you plan on doing any of the other bushings just buy a cheap press or rent a gear puller from Auto Zone.

Also, my bushings didn't look torn either, but after replacing them the noise and creaks have gone away when going over uneven payment and bumps at low speeds.
I used Energy Suspension ones instead of oem.

Last edited by MikeDG; 05-01-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Need help! So, I've called a couple more places for a price quote to get my old bushings pressed out and new ones put in. I decided to call Niello Infiniti here in Concord. I was told about the TSB for '04-'06 bushings (I was aware of this, but I'm out of warranty obviously), where Inifiniti decided to replace them instead of replacing the whole compression rod. Then he goes to tell me that I would need to replace the whole rod instead of just putting in the new, revised bushing part# 54570-AC70A He said Infiniti just replaces the whole rods and not individual bushings for '03 G35s. The new replacement bushings look exactly the same as my old ones, but according to him, the original ones were beefier than the new ('04-06 only) replacement bushings. Could someone verify that the new bushings are only for the '04-'06 G35s?

Btw, ordered the 6 ton press from Harbor Freight for $80 shipped, which is how much it would cost me to have the bushings pressed out/in.

Last edited by JacekPSUr6; 05-03-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just measure them?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr6
Need help! So, I've called a couple more places for a price quote to get my old bushings pressed out and new ones put in. I decided to call Niello Infiniti here in Concord. I was told about the TSB for '04-'06 bushings (I was aware of this, but I'm out of warranty obviously), where Inifiniti decided to replace them instead of replacing the whole compression rod. Then he goes to tell me that I would need to replace the whole rod instead of just putting in the new, revised bushing part# 54570-AC70A He said Infiniti just replaces the whole rods and not individual bushings for '03 G35s. The new replacement bushings look exactly the same as my old ones, but according to him, the original ones were beefier than the new ('04-06 only) replacement bushings. Could someone verify that the new bushings are only for the '04-'06 G35s?

Btw, ordered the 6 ton press from Harbor Freight for $80 shipped, which is how much it would cost me to have the bushings pressed out/in.
The same bushings fit all G35's and 350Z's, all years.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dealer said the same thing. I took a chance and swapped the bushings but it did not help my issue. I'm thinking of replacing entire rod at this point. My bushings did not look worn at all. I replaced them with OEM bushings (the part # you provided is the one I got).

Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Did you guys check if the end-links are in good condition or warned out ? I heard the creaking can be caused by the sway bar bushings as well but i'm not 100% on that.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Interesting....I'm still waiting for the press to get here. I won't be able to put the new ones back on till at least next weekend, but I'm hoping that this will fix the creaking. 04G35NYC, everything else looks good; maybe I just need to grease everything.
Lox1985, I'd look elsewhere - something else must be causing this issue for you. Let us know if you find a solution.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had front end creaking after I replaced my compression rod bushings with spl bearings. My lower control arm bushings (inner and outer) were completely shredded. I'd check those while your down there.

I used energy suspension bushings and they are waaay better than stock ever was. I highly suggest these polyurethane bushings. They also just came out with compression arm bushings as well.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr6
Interesting....I'm still waiting for the press to get here. I won't be able to put the new ones back on till at least next weekend, but I'm hoping that this will fix the creaking. 04G35NYC, everything else looks good; maybe I just need to grease everything.
Lox1985, I'd look elsewhere - something else must be causing this issue for you. Let us know if you find a solution.
I might have a chance to look at it this weekend. I just hate to go and change every part possible. Noise is more like a clunk (metal on metal) going over small bumps at slow speeds...

Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 PM
broke down and bought two front compression rods...Should solve the issue (I hope)

Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
The press finally came in and I was able to complete the job. If you're thinking of doing it yourself, get a bigger press than 6 tons because the one I got was too short - not enough of a clearance to fit the pieces in there. I was able to break the rubber part through, then press the ring out - I used that ring to push the 2nd bushing out with ease. I wasn't able to fit all the pieces in to press in the new bushings and I decided to give up pay a local Midas shop to get the new oem bushings pressed in - $25 cash did the job and it was well worth it. I tested the car and the creaking is gone - I just hope it will not come back and I'll have to do this all over again. If for some reason I'll have to replace them again in the near future, I already have the press and will buy polyurethane bushings as replacements. I'm super stoked that it's fixed and I didn't have to replace anything else. I also had the car re-aligned since I lowered it a few months ago. Next job will be to replace my rocker/valve covers, which are leaking oil through the busted seals. I have all the parts, just need to get to it.

All in all, I'd say it's worth to do it yourself - I spent about $185 in parts and Midas labor to get the whole job done

Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool, working on your own car is good therapy too

Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Pic 3 and 4 shows a crack in the rod. Or is it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Compression Rod bushings - pics