installing my stance gr+ coilovers tomorrow have some questions PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing my stance gr+ coilovers tomorrow have some questions PLEASE HELP!!

hello i just received my stance gr+ coilovers for my g35 coupe

i have it all ripped apart on jack stands at the moment and i need to finish it by the end of tomorrow i hope

i have a few questions regarding how i set up the ride height and everything
stance does not provide that good of instructions

i get the concept of how the locking rings and how the tubes screw over the coil

here is what i would like to know

FOR THE FRONT

1.should i tighten the actual spring itself, if so how much.
2. for the height of the front how much should i wind up, how many inches,
3.how many clucks on the adjuster for daily driving

FOR THE REAR
1.how high should i set the rings on the rear spring seat mount
2.how many clucks on the adjuster for daily driving

just for reference, im installing spc front rear camber and toe bolts tomorrow to
and i bought the stance adjuster extenders for the rear so i will have to drill holes,

basically i have the stock 18 inch rims on there now because the car is going for paint on Monday, i don't want it to be extremely low that i cant drive it but once it comes back from paint i have my 20" work t1s rims to go on before it gets sent out for alignment,

so the questions above, i would basically like a good setting for ride height to clear the fender gap. if i dont achieve this i will have to take it all apart and adjust it again when it comes back

thanks in advanced i hope some one can reply tonight

Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
I called stance and they gave me step by step instructions.. I forget how though its been a while.. lol

Old 06-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Lol do you know the number, if any one else can answer any of my questions , it will help

Old 06-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Hopefully someone else can chime in, or check with stance on how much preload to set for the springs.

Here is what I did. I removed my front struts and springs then adjusted the coilovers to match (overall lenght) My old set-up dropped my car about 1.5" so by setting the coilovers to the same lenght it put me in the ballpark. Once you drop the car back down on the ground, take it around the block. Expect a little bit of settling so them adjust the coilovers accordingly (up or down).
I installed mine about 2 months ago and I think that I finally got them set to where I want them.

For the rear I set mine up like the OE set-up and not a true coilover (which I might change). I set mine to the highest setting, dropped the car down took it for a spin then adjusted it down accordingly.

As far as the shocks, I started with the middle setting and left it until my springs settled. I ended up going with about 70% of fully firm.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont mess with the preload yet until you get a feel for what you got and stance recommends a setting of 8 for break in period, thats what my directions said.
righty tighter lefty loose

Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 AM
So set the adjusters front and rear too 8 clicks and i read that the front shock should be adjusted untill its compressed till its about . 7 inches, is this correct, sorry for all the noob questions just want to try and get it set up correct the first time so i dont have to keep takeing it appart

Old 06-11-2011, 02:11 AM
yep 8 clicks and im not sure on the other . remember right is tighter and left loosens it up.. dont ever set a coilover on full stiff right off the start either

Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by infinitig35_6mt
So set the adjusters front and rear too 8 clicks and i read that the front shock should be adjusted untill its compressed till its about . 7 inches, is this correct, sorry for all the noob questions just want to try and get it set up correct the first time so i dont have to keep takeing it appart
You shouldn't have to take it apart to adjust it once it's on the car. I am able to adjust my coilovers while they are still on the car. I actually just adjusted mine this past week and took me about 30 min to do one side (F/R).

That .7" is that for preload? If so measure the spring lenght uncompressed then tighten the preload collar until the spring is .7" shorter then lock it in. I have not looked into preload to much, but the little research that I did do was very inconclusive. Some run little to no preload and others set it higher..

Old 06-11-2011, 02:21 AM
dont mess with the collars next to the spring at all or your screwed have someone else balance it for you if your unhappy with what stance r&d set them at.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:35 AM
i will post a pic just to make sure everyones talking about the same thing.
the question mark is just based on how much ride hight you want, like 4D05G35 said just
size it up to the old one. then go from there,

the 7" is the preload i take it,
and the 8 clicks is obv. the setting

i dident take a pic of the rear spring adjusters as its pretty easy to adjust after installed

Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 PM
^ Correct.
I believe it was mentioned above (by jentz) Turning the **** to the right firms up the shock and to the left softens it. I am not sure how many points of adjustment you have, but setting it to the middle should be a good starting point.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:09 PM
dont touch the area youve marked 7 ! you say your a newer member so have a professional make adjustment to the spring load(if needed at all) . the top damper adjustment youve marked 8clicks is the only setting besides ride height you should be concerned about.. as far as directions go stance actually has pretty detailed instructions compared to others. also stance answers their phone within 3 rings

Old 06-11-2011, 02:20 PM
haha BTW did you steal these coilovers or what you dont even have stances phone # because its printed in the directions. the directions also say 8 clicks for break in..see that button to the right of the postings that says thanks? push that a few times and say thank you

Last edited by jentz; 06-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:48 PM
here is the installation manual i received , the coilovers are brand new,

i have a bigger issues
other then a puller wont take off the OEM conical bushing on the front a arm's so i can install my spc camber arms, so i will have to order new ones from nissan part number 40173-al500

i now have a huge issue and my car will not be ready for monday to go to the paint shop because of this,

so the drivers side came off but took some effort, now the passengers side seemed to be rusted in there, i used penetrating fluid that didn't work, i marked each side of the bolt to make sure that i wasn't going to snap it. still it looked like it wasn't going to budge, so i used the heat trick, still nothing, then this happens i guess maybe the bushing got a little hot and the bolt is stuck in the metal sleeve,

QUESTION IS NOW can i replace this bushing or do i have to locate a complete arm,

please help if you can....

Last edited by infinitig35_6mt; 06-11-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
i was just told that you can replace the bushing its self.. i will look more into it . i know whiteline makes an aftermarket but im going to see if i can get an oem..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: installing my stance gr+ coilovers tomorrow have some questions PLEASE HELP!!