Stance & Fitment: Rear Camber Arms VS An Alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stance & Fitment: Rear Camber Arms VS An Alignment

Hi,

I'm trying to figure some last minute details for my suspsnesion adjustments before my wheels arrive. I planned on rolling with natural camber but my desire to sit PERFECTLY is growing as I get more and more picky. I'm still learning so please forgive me fi I'm missing something obvious.

*Any references to camber will be negative camber.

I understand what the purpose of camber arms are and same goes for alignment but why would you get camber arms when you can just go to an alignment shop that frequently deals with lowered cars and tell them what specific camber you want? (And they can keep your toe in spec also.) Reasoning:

1. You save money by not buying arms if you know EXACTLY how you want to sit (as in you picked correct offsets and widths right off the bat and you wont be altering ride height and adding / removing spacers often)

2. If you go with arms, then any camber adjustment you do on your own will mess with your toe, meaning that you will need an alignment anyway or toe arms

Responses I'm expecting to hear as to why one should get camber arms:

1. Once you get your wheels (assuming you want to tuck tire and close to wheel tuck), you can slam it right there and then and add the neccessary camber to not rub. This as opposed to driving possibly far to an alignment shop while rubbing / cutting into tires.

2. Convenience for when you want to add spacers or adjust ride height later on instead of having to get an alignment every single time (for people that frequently adjust their stance ).

3. If you live in an area without an inground alignment rack or if you can't fit on it.

4. More precise adjustments and a broader range of camber (going with SPL kit and setting -6 instead of taking it to an alignment shop and them not wanting to go that negative )

5. You like doing stuff on your own.

I'm pretty much torn between which to go with and the long run picture. I know that camber arms are a good investment for the long run, but I'm thinking that natural camber may be good enough. I just don't want to spend money unneccessarily but if it makes the most sense, I'm down to buy.

Also curious about if one should just go for SPL pro arms instead of SPC since SPL offers greater camber range in case you ever need it ( I know, it's a lot of camber but just in case).

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Umm what? Sure you could adjust your own if you knew how, but without proper equipment you could only be so precise. The reason people here at least buy camber arms/toe bolts is to be able to adjust at least their toe into spec and usually their camber more towards oem spec to save their tires/handling. Not for own adjustment.

I don't think you have researched enough about our cars, if you stick with stock camber arm and toe bolts you will not have enough adjustment to get your toe in spec while having your camber be any bit reasonable. That's why you need rear camber arm and toe bolt kits.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is going with arms that offer the greatest camber range a general rule of thumb then?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by alexm
Is going with arms that offer the greatest camber range a general rule of thumb then?
depends on the quality. I think you mentioned spl which is a very good brand. Most people go with SPC's at least in the rear due to their price and performance. Make sure you get the toe bolts and elongate the toe bolt holes to allow you to adjust your toe enough, or if you are going with true style coilovers get a toe arm.