Rear sway bar lubing?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rear sway bar lubing?!?!?!?!

hey guys....over a year ago i installed aftermarket sway bars in my car. Anyhow, the problem that i have been having for the past month, is a creeking noise comin from my car operating at low speeds. Like taking off or coming to a stop. I pretty postive it is coming from my rear sway bar because also whn i take a turn slowly it will squeek....is their a way to lube it myself without having to take the car to the dealer?!?!? yeah, i prob spelled squeek wrong, but im a horrible speller....help would be greatly appreciated...thks

Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can just squirt some light grease at the link points of the sway bar. I'd be suprised if thats where it was coming from tho. Maybe snug up the bolts on it while your there. The chassis itself has points that should be lubed occassionally as a normal part of maintenance. If you dont get your services done at the dealership theres a good chance it's not getting done. I'm not certain if the do that at oil changes or the larger services, but you can prob get your chassis lubed at the dealership for pretty cheap.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM
hmmm.....guess calling the dealership to ask wouldnt hurt,,,,,just dont want to get raped...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:19 AM
the 2 bushings where it mounts to the frame need to be greased once in a while theres 2 bolts holding in each bushing in. if their after market bushings like urethane then i think it needs molebdinum (however thats spelt) grease. not that hard to do

Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used this stuff http://www.hotchkis.net/14_oz_super_grease.html on my bushings once and that has completely quieted them up

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
ok the F****ING SQUEAKING has become unbearable!!! Today while i was driving the car, the dam thing squeaked regardless of what i did....DAMMM!!! So i jacked her up from the pumkin, and proceeded to spray wd40 on the sway bar where is attaches, on the bushings, on the aftermarket rear camber arms connecting spots, the spring bucket connecting spots, pretty much every spot i seen a connection at. I put the car down and then stood on the edge of the trunk and jumped up and down...the it didnt squeak for maybe a minute, then came right back. so i figured i didnt put enough spray and did the entire process again. STILL SQUEAKED!!! .....and now the funny part is that i went and sprayed the car at the car wash just now and it seemed to make it even worse than when i bothered putting any spray on the rear?!?!? WTF....just hitting whever little bump she is crying. I actuallly took a left turn hard to make the car lean hard, and it actually didnt squeak then, as if to say that when the suspension was compressed hard there wasnt a prob. Tommorrow i plan on calling the dealer to ask how much it will cost to lube the suspension and sway bar bushing, but is there anything you guys think i can do to solve this myself....the infiniti dealer is easy 45mins away!!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ WD40 is a solvent which is meant to clean, not lubricate. Buy some Grease.

Lithium Grease is easy to find though, I dont know if its "heavy duty" enough for the job

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 AM
maybe i cleaned all the existing grease off!!! man im a douche if thats wht i did, yup i just called myself that to get it out of the way, soooo no one else has to!! Thanks screensavers, im goin to try that before i call the dealer...thanks.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm telling you try the Hotchkis grease I had suggested before http://www.hotchkis.net/14_oz_super_grease.html. I was in the exact same boat as you before with the annoying squeaking noice, I tried other grease on the bushings and over time it would just work itself out and i would be back to bushing on sway bar noise. I put on the Hotchkis grease 6 months ago and have not had an issue since. Whichever grease you decide to use, make sure to actually remove the bushing and grease the center of them not just the outside of them.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Use the right grease - synthetic, not petroleum-based. I use Permatex, which is widely available. Fergawdsakes do NOT use WD40 on everything. It's easy to find out and use the right product for the job.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
GOT IT!! last night me and my mechanic acutally took off the rear sway bar and rear camber kits and cleaned and lubed all the joints and bushing. Put everything back together...and shes perfect....did some aggressive driving last night and this morning to just make sure i didnt hear anything. Thank you for the help guys. really appreciated..

Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Use the right grease - synthetic, not petroleum-based. I use Permatex, which is widely available. Fergawdsakes do NOT use WD40 on everything. It's easy to find out and use the right product for the job.
Where did you find the Permatex? Can Tire???
Looking to pick up a spray can of the "ultra slick" if its available here.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try M-77 Assembly Paste from Honda

I used a M-77 Assembly Paste on my creaking & squeaking Hotchkis sways. Does not "squeeze out" like other greases. Can be purchased at any Honda dealership. Hondas requires M-77 brake pad & shims to eliminate noise.

It is a molybdenum disulfide grease that is waterproof, temp & pressure resistant. Its really extreme stuff you can use in most lube situations. FYI use nitrile gloves. Do not let this stuff get on your skin. Detergent & water wont get it off!

Check out these links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/au...ials+Expertise

Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 AM
thanks bro for the info...actually got energy suspension own lube now since i replaced all my front bushing with their polys

Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put Hotchkis bars on my 05 G35 a few months ago but instead of using silicon grease on the urathane bushings I wrapped the sway bars with teflon tape....absolutely quiet so far...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar lubing?!?!?!?!