Question/Issue replacing front brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011 | 11:37 AM
|
Question/Issue replacing front brake pads

Okay,

So a buddy had recommended Hawk HPS pads to me some time ago. In anticipation of the front brakes wearings out on my 08' G35S quickly, I purchased a set of pads when the car only had 20k miles on it. Most my driving is highway miles and with it being a 6mt and downshifting to slow down, the pads took a very long time to wear done.

So now, 2 years since I bought the pads I went to change them out this weekend. The issue/question I have, is it appears all 4 pads are the same. They each have 2 tabs on the edges (top and bottom) of the outside of the pad to help hold the shims in place. Is that normal?

I'd expect that inside pad for the piston to have that, and the outside to be flat or have a tab in the middle (Like the set of rear pads I just picked up). As the issue is the non piston side, (the fork) is hitting these tabs and I cannot get the caliber back on over the outside pad. Nor would I really want to with this raised bump in the way and not having the pad flush against the caliper.

Recommendations? Can I just cut/sand off these tabs to use the pads? Am I fine without the shims?

One last question, I've had in my mind that the front pads would wear first. So when my brake fluid got to the fill line I just assumed it was time to replace the front pads. They have warn a bit uneven with the piston side going much faster, but they still could still go a while yet. Now I'm wondering if the rears might not wear faster with the traction/stability control helping to deliver power to the rear tires.

Do the rears wear faster in this car, or at least if it's a manual tranny?

Thanks much in advance.

Old 11-03-2011 | 03:11 PM
|
Bueller? Anyone?

I've only done brakes twice before (and never on this car) so I'm pretty new to this.

Maybe this picture will help explain what I'm referring to with the tabs.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...P_RecType%3aA)

There are 2 "configurations". The 4 pads I got all have the tabs in the same configuration which is problematic on the non piston side, where the "2 prong fork" hits them.

-Thanks