Alignment / Swaying issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment / Swaying issue

When i hit a bump in the road or catch a rut i get a side to side motion that really moves the car. This can really cause a problem where I live in the Northwest with snow in the Winter time. Slick roads and a car that doesn't handle bumps very well don't mix. My alignment was quite a bit out of spec so an alignment made it better, but still very noticeable. Everything is now within spec with the exception of the camber - which I have been told there is no adjustability on the stock suspension on these cars. My cars suspension is stock, should I buy aftermarket control arms with camber adjustability, or any suggestions? I do need new tires, which I will be getting this spring, and hope that will help some as well. One thing I do have on my car is staggered wheels - 17" x 7.5" front - 17" x 8" rear. Would that make a difference on the handling? I was going to check my endlinks, short of that I don't know what to try.

Has anyone ever taken their swaybar out just out of curiosity?

The car is a 2006 G35 sedan with an all stock suspension as far as I know - i bought it used.

It seems to be worse at higher speeds as I don't notice it much around town. I don't want to go much over 70 mph just because of how much movement I get at that speed on the hiway. Anyone have any suggestions or a good suspension shop in the Northwest that may be able to help?

Thanks -

Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
Back end sway right ? End links , really bad camber or shocks are usually what causes this . I had the same issue and it turned to be the shocks . Installed coils , still running -2 degrees camber on oem links and it handles like a champ .

Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM
What is the benefit of running coils? Any suggestions for which coils to go with?

The sway almost feels like it goes from front to back, almost in a fishtale type of feeling, if that makes sense.

I was thinking about an adjustable camber kit upfront as well to see if that would help by getting my camber back in line.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 AM
How do you know if your endlinks are bad? What specifically am I looking for?

Thanks -

Old 03-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
front camber is very hard to get off spec , you would really only want it for aggressive drop and wheels combo , yeah fish tail feeling is the rear and most likely shocks . As far as suspension , It all depends what your plans are , I wanted a coil set up that could give a pretty aggressive drop and feel ok with day to day driving . I went with Megan street series , If youre not looking for a crazy drop get an Eibach prokit and aftermarket shocks and youre set . Rear camber kit recommended