Coilovers Vs. Springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers Vs. Springs?

I just got a 06 g35 6mt about a month ago. I was just wondering what I should go for.
Also what is a good brand of both of them. I will say I don't like the way that the slammed hondas bounce when they go over a pot hole I don't want to slam it but I want it be lower. If you have pics of yours one coils feel free to post them.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
I think it really depends on your needs. A good set of quality springs and shocks will perform well and ride comfortably, but they will be "fixed" in terms of the actual ride height. Coilovers offer a wider range of adjustment, so if you see yourself lowering your car more and more in the future that might be the way to go. Through the many car forums I browse, I have found that this is the case for many (including myself). You drop the car a little bit, then later on you go a little lower, a little lower, and then soon enough you'll find that you're slammed haha.

Prices will vary quite a bit though. Do you have a specific budget you'd like to stick with?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
I think it really depends on your needs. A good set of quality springs and shocks will perform well and ride comfortably, but they will be "fixed" in terms of the actual ride height. Coilovers offer a wider range of adjustment, so if you see yourself lowering your car more and more in the future that might be the way to go. Through the many car forums I browse, I have found that this is the case for many (including myself). You drop the car a little bit, then later on you go a little lower, a little lower, and then soon enough you'll find that you're slammed haha.

Prices will vary quite a bit though. Do you have a specific budget you'd like to stick with?
How about this:

- DD, so not looking to go too low or drive too aggressively. No track.
- Price limit 1k, but lower the better.

Also, couple extra questions. What parts do the coil overs replace, Shocks/Spring/Struts? On some used ones I see that they need to be rebuilt. What's the price per coil over and the avg time/or mileage before it needs a rebuild?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
springs are just a temporally fix for being lower if you like the springs. Coils are the better way to be lower but it will be stiffer but cost more. I am spring for now until i can afford coils.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
springs are just a temporally fix for being lower if you like the springs. Coils are the better way to be lower but it will be stiffer but cost more. I am spring for now until i can afford coils.
How does yours ride. I just don't want to lose all of the comfort. Also do you have any pictures of it? I will have this car for a while I just broke 40k miles. I have always been into the suv seen and I want to make this car look hella good.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
It depends if yo are going for comfort, performance, adjustability, or looks.

If you want adjustability and looks, go with coils. The ride will not be close to comfortable, and while your car will feel fast through turns, it really isn't unless you are putting a whole lot more work and money in to make that happen. The mid priced (2-3k) coilovers perform ok at best. As for the cheap ones, don't expect much at all. You might be better off with the pricier set-ups, but we're talking 4-5k range here, but I know from experience that not all of them are that good either.

A good spring and strut combo will be comfortable as it will be better balanced and better matched to your car. And because it's better balanced, it will perform better, but it's not going to slam your car to the ground.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Coilovers

Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by jtf3i
How does yours ride. I just don't want to lose all of the comfort. Also do you have any pictures of it? I will have this car for a while I just broke 40k miles. I have always been into the suv seen and I want to make this car look hella good.
The ride is still good to me. I had my springs for about 2 yrs now.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
It depends if yo are going for comfort, performance, adjustability, or looks.

If you want adjustability and looks, go with coils. The ride will not be close to comfortable, and while your car will feel fast through turns, it really isn't unless you are putting a whole lot more work and money in to make that happen. The mid priced (2-3k) coilovers perform ok at best. As for the cheap ones, don't expect much at all. You might be better off with the pricier set-ups, but we're talking 4-5k range here, but I know from experience that not all of them are that good either.

A good spring and strut combo will be comfortable as it will be better balanced and better matched to your car. And because it's better balanced, it will perform better, but it's not going to slam your car to the ground.
Great info. Thanks Dofu! Saved me from going coils since I know exactly what drop I want and still want the comfort. Prob going D-Specs and Teins.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I would suggest Z spring and struts. While Tein S-Techs have a heavier spring rate than the H-Techs, keep in mind that Tein's philosophy is to lower the spring rate, making the ride feel a bit bouncier than it should be.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jtf3i
I just got a 06 g35 6mt about a month ago. I was just wondering what I should go for.
Also what is a good brand of both of them. I will say I don't like the way that the slammed hondas bounce when they go over a pot hole I don't want to slam it but I want it be lower. If you have pics of yours one coils feel free to post them.
I got springs first with my car, you will be satisfied for one month and hate yourself for wasting the $$ on them because you will want to go lower. I daily drive my G in the summer here in MN, and I love my coils and having the ability to adjust the height. Get a coil that has adjustable damper settings so you can adjust the stiffness on the coils. Do it right the first time and get a set of coils . Here is a pic of my car on coils, I sit roughly 25 3/4'' fender to ground

Before (stock springs):

After:

Last edited by MN-G-Fever; 06-11-2012 at 10:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jtf3i (06-13-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
I would suggest Z spring and struts. While Tein S-Techs have a heavier spring rate than the H-Techs, keep in mind that Tein's philosophy is to lower the spring rate, making the ride feel a bit bouncier than it should be.
Yea I was thinking 350Z H-Tech's for .8/.8 all around(w/ spring mount cut). Think I'll need a front camber kit for that? My tires are still relatively fresh and I was having trouble finding what drop height you'll need camber for. Idc about buying a rear camber, but 400-500 for a front camber kit is a bit rough

Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 PM
The rear toe kit is a must, the front camber kit will save you money on tires in the long run.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Coils got them and after a week i wanted to go lower.. you won't regret it. Believe me its all about height adjustability to make it perfect

Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by saason.Ez
Coils got them and after a week i wanted to go lower.. you won't regret it. Believe me its all about height adjustability to make it perfect
What this guy said, no regrets getting coils

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coilovers Vs. Springs?