One thing after another!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes One thing after another!

I have a 2005 G35X. A little bit ago a sound and severe vibration started from the rear of the car that sounded to me like my tires were severely cupped. Since the tires happened to be very close to needing replaced, I went ahead and got new tires ... the sound seemed to quiet down, but was definitely still there.

My next guess was the brakes. I thought maybe they were warped and they too were on their last leg, so they got replaced. The sound quieted but after about 3-4 days the brakes stared squealing during normal driving. When I applied the brakes, the sound went away.

I ripped the whole right rear brake assembly off, cleaned it and re-greased it. The sound went away for a few days, but came back. So I repeated the dis-assembly and re-greasing. Now I get about a mile from home and the sound starts! I did notice that if I am driving straight and apply the brakes, the squeal SOMETIMES stops, only to return as soon I a turn RIGHT.

I'm left thinking that its POSSIBLY a wheel bearing, I just need to know for sure since I've dumped a bunch of money into this so far (even though it all needed to be done). Any help anyone has would be great! I want to get this fixed and get back to putting money toward modding my car!!! Thanks in advance everyone!

-Kurt

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Depending on the sound, it could be the differential. The "when I turn right" is a clue to me.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Would that effect the brakes at all? The rotor on the RR gets really hot and will most likely need to be replaced once the initial problem is solved. I thought the bearing my be shot, causing the wheel to wobble a bit which in turn is causing the brakes to rub and make the squealing sound. But thanks Texasscout, that reminds me that I am about due to change the diff fluid.

-Kurt

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Replaced the bearing this weekend. The problem has not gone away, though I must say that the car rides a bit smoother (the wheel bearing was on its way out anyway). My last guess is a caliper hanging up. Not sure why the noise only starts after a mile or so, or if I keep my speed under 35mph it'll go further without starting the squeal.

New question: How difficult is it to rebuild a caliper??