Slotted,drilled or slotted drilled rottors? whats better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slotted,drilled or slotted drilled rottors? whats better?

hello guys im a newly proud owner of an 03 g35 6mt brembo brakes and in order for me to pass my inspections i need new rotors and brake pads now i been doing a lot of looking around many website and prices range from $80 to $800 or so now for the people who been there and done that and have any tips for me. what would you recommend for performance as far as braking goes? any suggestions? i would appriciate it

Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Hi Chris, the slotted/drilled rotors are mostly for looks with todays pad technology. Replacing anything Brembo is never cheap but you can find the best deals on our MARKETPLACE under vendor brakes. I'm running DBA slotted/drilled rotors and HAWK HPS pads and love em! Almost zero dust and they stop better than OE. If you do buy these there's a bed in process (SEARCH) which gives you 30% better stopping power, worth the 15 minutes to complete after install. G/L
Gary

Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Slotted will help with keeping your pad material fresh. drilled will help you with heat. Now either way you are drilling and removing material from your rotor and sacrificing structural integrity. Go get a set of drilled and slotted and hit the track. I guarantee you after couple sessions you will have a cracked rotor due to weakness in structural integrity. If you spend $2k and got a BBK that is a different story. All these rotor start with blank and they drill a bunch of holes into it for looks. Stop wasting time and get a decent set of pads and blank.

Then burninsh the shi*T out of it and go to town on them daily. I tear the every living bejesus out of my pads and rotors. Dual piston FTW and I personally have drilled and slotted on the front and waiting for them to crap out so I can replace with regular. Brakes and pads are fun and cheap. Buy blanks and change out your pads when you feel like it. Don't waste all your money on looks and then have to re-replace when they crack I would spend money on stainless steel lines, brake pads and dot 4 motul fluid.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
There was another post on this topic just a few days ago:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...-benefits.html

To quote myself:
I haven't been able to find anything reliable on slotted rotors in my limited searching.

There was one SAE white paper in 2006 i think from GM about cross drilled rotors.The Effect of Rotor Crossdrilling on Brake Performance

I don't remember where I read the full paper, but IIRC their end results was that at higher operating temperature and heavier use (ie track conditions), the cross drilled rotors developed significantly less heat and produced significantly more stopping power, but had increased brake pad wear and was structurally weaker. And at lower temperature (street conditions) there was no difference.

I think the biggest reasons why most people who track get the cheapest blanks they can find, is that 1) rotors wear out super fast at the track with track pads and track conditions. You don't want to be shelling out for expensive rotors every year for marginal improvements, and 2) brake fade is better than brake failure. Brake fade from heat is usually progressive and you can adjust your braking distances appropriately, whereas a cracked rotor at the very least means the end of your track weekend, and sometimes means getting intimately acquainted with a wall or tire barrier. most people just go the route of getting higher and higher temperature rated brake pads before thinking of shelling out for bling bling rotors.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Guys who bring non slotted to the track glaze all day long.

Just a few weeks ago the dude next to me in the paddock, 370z with the stock Akebonos was glazed after the second session.

HPS are good street pads that can withstand occasional track use. I have stoptech slotted rotors as well.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM
thanks for your help guys looks like the drilled ones are faster to crack so ill probably end up buying some slotted ones and ill look at the vendors here. any recommendations on any good vendors?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by chris2989
thanks for your help guys looks like the drilled ones are faster to crack so ill probably end up buying some slotted ones and ill look at the vendors here. any recommendations on any good vendors?
Chris, did you read my post? I gave you everything but the prices....Gary

Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM
yes i did but im buying the slotted ones you have the slotted/drilled ones and im kind of a newbie at this i mean is the one who u got from an acually website,store or a person on the forum who sells rotors? this guy ifrom this forums is selling a stop tech slotted rotors is stop tech a good brand? here is the website.
http://www.g35brakesolutions.com/

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Stoptech is owned by centric.

Just go to rockauto.com or advancedautoparts.com or autopartswarehouse.com

look up coupons like rockauto (pads) has 5% off, advancedautoparts (rotor) is usually 40% off and autopartswarehouse (rotor) has discounts for cashback through fatwallet.

rock auto charges shipping so only get pads from them
autopartswarehouse, ebay and advancedautoparts have free shipping so get your rotors since it will be 20 pounds per disc. Make sure you order the disc/pads that is made from brembo calipers.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM
so advanced auto parts would have this slotted rotors too??

Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM
advanced has basic discs and autopartswarehouse has the fancy schmancy ones you want. I would look at ebay for stoptech slotted and research heavily. Get some hawk, ebc, cool carbon, stop tech, or axxis ultimate pads. Just decide on a budget and research on my350z and g35 driver. I have no freaking clue what combo is good for brembo. I have the upgraded 2005 sport sedan calipers which are dual piston and larger discs instead of 4 piston like brembo and upgraded rotors. Amazing brakes with craptastic tires will yield craptastic results. Tires are as much of the equation as the brakes are and don't be cheap but don't splurge on junk.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
thanks bro ill do more research and im def not being cheap at least not with my g

Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by chris2989
hello guys im a newly proud owner of an 03 g35 6mt brembo brakes and in order for me to pass my inspections i need new rotors and brake pads now i been doing a lot of looking around many website and prices range from $80 to $800 or so now for the people who been there and done that and have any tips for me. what would you recommend for performance as far as braking goes? any suggestions? i would appriciate it
To clarify, what kind of performance are you looking out of your braking system?

The most important is your brake pad. You really should focus more on choosing your brake pad. It has orders of magnitude more effect than the rotor. You should decide how much dust and noise you can live with, and what temperature you want your brakes to work at (ie city driving, or track driving) and how much you are willing to let them eat your rotor. There are compromises involved. For example, the more aggressive street/occasional track use pads require more force when cold to stop the car and will actually have a pretty crappy/mushy feel with daily driving.

slotted and cross drilled rotors will also significantly kill your pad life too (estimated 25% for the cross drilled with LA city driving >50% with track use)

If I were you, I would start with different pads (and flush your fluid with ate super blue/ate 200) first, then swap out to cross-drilled/slotted if I couldn't find a pad that satisfied me.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 AM
i dont wanna spend money just because i should try the pad the i prefer any ceramic high performance would do it for me. i just wanted to know which rotors were better. im not gonna be going to the track or race everyday but in case i need to stop hard for any reason i wanna make sure i have one the best to help me with that. and i came to the conclusion that slotted will be better for me since i wont be racing it so no need for me to the the drilled ones specially since they crack easier

Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 AM
btw im really thinking about the dba 4000 series slotted ones with the black middle is that worth the money? or can i get something same quality for cheaper or i can spend same more for better? what do you guys say?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Slotted,drilled or slotted drilled rottors? whats better?