Shady Firestone guy… Need your help (alignment issue)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 10:05 AM
|
Shady Firestone guy… Need your help (alignment issue)

Some info before I start my story:
- Purchased an 07 G35 Coupe (sport suspension – 19” rims) @ 30k miles roughly 2.5 years ago
- Replaced all 4 brake pads @ 40k miles (roughly 2 years ago)
- Maintained regular oil changes
- Car is currently at 62k miles
- Car was purchased as a CPO and came with new stock Potenza tires so they have roughly 30k miles on them

Edit: My car is also stock height*

Story:
So the other week I went to get an oil change and the mechanic pointed out that I need several things replaced. This included:
- All 4 tires
- All 4 brake pads
- All 4 rotors
- Alignment
- 2 drive belts
- Upper and lower radiator hose
- Air filter
- Cabin air filter
- Transmission flush

This kind of took me by surprise at first but considering I hadn’t really done a whole lot of maintenance I figured it wouldn’t hurt to get a second opinion. So I went to the nearest Firestone and he said I really needed everything except for the upper and lower radiator hose since my car was only at 60k (he checked it out by squeezing the hose – not sure if that does anything lol)

Day 1 – I went to Firestone and he said I needed everything but the radiator hoses. I picked out some Hankook V12s and he placed the order and said to come back the next day.
Day 2 – I dropped off my car and came back after several hours to find that everything had been done so I test drove the car. I immediately noticed that the alignment had in fact not been done and that it was actually slightly worse than when I gave him the car. He did not give me any print out of the alignment so I took it back to him and expressed my dissatisfaction. He asked me to take my car to his shop in downtown since they recently purchased a new alignment machine and would be better able to help me.
Day 3 – I wasn’t able to take my car during the day due to work so the Firestone guy had one of his employees pick my car up and take it to their downtown location. His employee then dropped the car back off at my work. After test driving it, it seemed like it got EVEN WORSE. This time it was bad – if I let go of the wheel the car would immediately start drifting into the right lane. After work I called him and told him about my experience to which I received the following ridiculous response: “sometimes car manufacturers will put that feature in so that if the driver were to ever fall asleep at the wheel, the car would drift onto the shoulder”. I told him that this didn’t make sense and that I would be visiting his shop immediately. After getting to his shop, he tried to align it once more. This time he said it was the camber that was messed up. I looked at the computer screen and it had 2008 G37 Coupe pulled up, when I told him that the specs are most likely different, his mechanic said they were exactly the same. The Firestone guy said he would order the camber kit at no cost. So I thought – hmm, maybe this guy isn’t so shady after all.
Day 4 – Firestone guy says the parts still didn’t come in and to check in tomorrow.
Day 5 – He did the alignment once again but did NOT install the camber kit. In fact, he said due to the cost he wouldn’t be able to put it on without charging me. I don’t think he ever even ordered it. The alignment seemed to have improved from before but it still was slightly worse than when I originally brought him the car. He finally gave me a print out of the alignment. The car still drifts to the right and if I want to go straight, I have to hold the steering wheel slightly tilted to the left. I paid $110 for the alignment and am very unsatisfied with the results. I would appreciate any input you guys may have.

Short Version:
I got my alignment done at a Firestone – took about 4 alignments (and a visit every day for almost a week) to get it nearly back to where it was when I brought in the car. It’s still off and the car drifts to the right and if I want to go straight, I have to hold the steering wheel slightly tilted to the left. I paid $110 for the alignment and am very unsatisfied with the results. I would appreciate any input you guys may have.

This was printed out after the last (4th) alignment. His mechanic definitely screwed something up on the 3rd alignment which is why all those numbers look so bad. Unfortunately he didn't give me the print out of the original alignment before he did anything to the car...

Last edited by stabadus; 03-08-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 10:27 AM
Go to Nissan for your 60K mile service!

It's alright that your car doesn't drive like it should, don't you have the Firestone life time warranty? This is the issue I have with these giant company's, you don't need a warranty if the alignment is done right the first time! Find a independent brake/alignment shop in your neighborhood, that's there only job. Every area has at least one, ask your friends or auto parts stores employees where they go. If they say, Firestone/Goodyear/Sears or PepBoys ignore em!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 03-08-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 10:54 AM
Premier Member
Premier Member
+1 what gary said, I've had the best experience with local family run tire shops, and the price is usually much better as well. I think I paid $65 cash last time and it was spot on.