Someone explain this to me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Someone explain this to me

I realize I am a middle-aged white guy but I am having a real problem understanding this latest trend. If I saw a car parked somewhere looking like this I would feel sorry for the guy with busted axles. Purely beyond simply being able to get your chassis to scrape pavement, why would anyone do this to a car?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
There's about 2500 pages of why posted here: https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...some-nsfw.html

It's a style preference. The picture you posted would go beyond what even most folks who do like the form > function scene think is OK. There are a lot of cars with good fitment that don't get that carried away and as always some outliers that take it entirely too far just to say they can.

I imagine Gary will pop in here shortly to denounce all things form and give a more passionate telling on the subject.

The following users liked this post:
Footballmania32 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM
It just seems to me that it is one form of modification that reduces function instead of adds to it. You can't go faster, turn better (if at all), and increases tire wear. I just can't find a single benefit to it besides making your car look broken. Most every other mod, besides purely cosmetic, at least provide some benefit, I think that's what I am not getting here, I can only see a list of negatives without any benefit.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Leksikon
I imagine Gary will pop in here shortly to denounce all things form and give a more passionate telling on the subject.
Leksikon........sorry I quit trying to understand why anyone would do this to their ride, probably because I'm a middle age white dude too. How's that workin for ya?
Gary

Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks, Gary, so long as its not just my salt & pepper head causing me to totally miss something.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Kerry it's not done for function, that's what I was trying to explain. It's purely for looks even at the expense of function. The "benefit" to those owners is the look of it, that's the goal. Now whether you like the look of it or not is subjective. I agree with you though, it's a bit much lol.

Awww Gary, I was hoping for more
As for the middle aged white dude, I'll be there soon :/ I'm already yelling at kids to get off my lawn at least once a week

Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Ok, I don't like it but I can go with a pure look over function, but then why spend all the other money on high performance mods that are totally rendered useless by the fact that your car will bottom out if you run over a business card? Ok, so woopdeedoo that you have twin turbos, NOS, racing cam, and run Jet A fuel if a stock 72 VW Beetle can outrun you and handle better?

I do suppose that the turbos, ram air, struct brace, etc etc are simply for show even though they are meant for performance, but what a waste of good horsepower.

On the other hand, I suppose I would rather have my 23 year old son build a massive hellaflush since I know he won't be getting speeding tickets and I will never have to worry about him parking in the driveway.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Kerry, the pic shows a sedan obviously on bags so when it's raised up the camber is closer to OE than what it looks like parked. This is a "Trend" started in Japan and it's just for looks, Low & Slow. Sadly our members think it's cool and their cars either become garage queens or they're buying new cheap tires constantly. I've made negative comments about this camber "Trend" in the past, they sure get their feathers ruffled!
Gary

Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
If they enjoy it who cares? Everyone has different preferences, and good thing we all do, or else this forum would become a really boring repost of cars all modded to be exactly the same. Most cars like this are on bags or cup kits anyway and don't normally drive around like that.

They shouldn't get flak because they aren't going for "performance" mods, everyone knows that modding cars is a waste of money, especially for our cars trying to make them go "faster". Plus I would much rather have a bunch of cars like this driving more slowly around town than "performance" modded civics/crxs/etc. flying around, weaving through traffic, cutting people off.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
I totally agree Xet, I was just wondering if I was missing something in the purpose of it, if there is anything besides pure look.

Gary, do we need to have an "Old Guys Rules" thread?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerry Garrison
I totally agree Xet, I was just wondering if I was missing something in the purpose of it, if there is anything besides pure look.

Kerry, count me in on the "old guys rule thread", got an AARP offer in the mail last month and gray hairs when letting moustache get too long.

I agree with form & function. Don't understand painting rims green no matter what color car is or the plasti dip mods either.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
lol^^ you'd have to include me in that one.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM
now now HotRod, PlastiDip is like anything else, used well its pretty cool, used wrong its as bad as green rims.

PlastiDip Charcoal Diffuser - looks stock compared to slap-on carbon fiber panel

PlastiDip Charcoal Grill with Smoked Emblem - Got lots of positive comments on it

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Kerry Garrison
I hate that ****....^.... my son bought me two of those t-shirts, there just taking up room in my closet. You're only as old as you feel, most days after my first cup of coffee I'm 25 again. I don't really give a rat azz what members do to their G35s until it ruins the ability to drive it anywhere at anytime, then it becomes a garage queen!
Gary

Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Amen Gary!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Someone explain this to me