Someone explain this to me

Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
^^ His vtec kicked in too soon

Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
You know what IMO stands for??? There's a reason I put that in my post. I don't care if you don't like my opinion just like I DGAF about yours. And your right that it is all subjective.
Lol. The funny thing here is that I agree with you on function > form. The point I was trying to make was the last sentence in that post:

We should spend more time supporting the folks doing things we like then talking **** about the folks who are doing things we don't like.

You're not going to change anyone's mind one way or the other, this is pretty much an oil and water topic. Form guys aren't suddenly gonna go, "Holy crap, this is stupid, thank you for saving me from myself!"

In my opinion anyway

Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerry Garrison
I totally get they do it for looks and power to them for doing something different. That doesn't/ mean it's not strange to drop a big wad of money on something that hinders performance and functionality. What other mods can you think of that actually hinder functionality?
You have to understand that these people never track their cars, rarely travel at higher speeds because their cars are incapable of doing so, and can't take a sharp turn at more than 20mph without destroying their fenders. So the whole performance aspect doesn't apply to them. The few mods they have is only for looks. I've been a car enthusiast long enough to know that there's many different interests in the car community, some seem logical and some don't, you just have to accept the fact that people like all kinds of weird ****.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
You have to understand that these people never track their cars, rarely travel at higher speeds because their cars are incapable of doing so, and can't take a sharp turn at more than 20mph without destroying their fenders. So the whole performance aspect doesn't apply to them. The few mods they have is only for looks. I've been a car enthusiast long enough to know that there's many different interests in the car community, some seem logical and some don't, you just have to accept the fact that people like all kinds of weird ****.
A decent amount of these cars, including ours, are not very quick in most regards and also handling is quite poor compared to some other cars you can get for much cheaper. So what's the problem with just going for looks? For all we know they might have a different car purely modded for performance to get their aggressive "fun" driving in on, and then they just enjoy cruising around slower with their stanced car.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's pretty stupid to judge them all without knowing the individuals and their personal reasons and situations.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
You guys act like these bagged cars are something new, remember lowriders? Guys have been doing this for decades, air just makes it cheaper and easier. Maybe I grew up on the other side of the tracks from you guys.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
^I don't recall many lowriders having ridiculous amounts of camber with tires that don't fit.

When did I say I have a problem with modding for looks only? I don't mind stanced setups when done properly but when done overboard, I say it looks like **** and it certainly won't perform well. The car everyone here SHOULD be referring to is below, and just by looking at it I can tell its not built for performance. To me the front doesn't look bad but the rear is definitely excessive.

Last edited by herrschaft; 03-28-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
^I don't recall many lowriders having ridiculous amounts of camber with tires that don't fit.

When did I say I have a problem with modding for looks only? I don't mind stanced setups when done properly but when done overboard, I say it looks like **** and it certainly won't perform well. The car everyone here SHOULD be referring to is below, and just by looking at it I can tell its not built for performance.
Because they had solid rear differentials, VW's always had a ton of camber. You don't remember guys putting 7.00 x 14's on 10" Truspokes. I worked in a tire shop in Denver in the mid eighties, guys always came in wanting 7.00 white walls on truspokes, we had this inflatable band we put around the tire to force the sidewalls out to the wheels, packed them with soap and hit them with air.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM
^Most of the classic low riders I've seen/liked didn't have tire setups like that. I don't follow it with newer cars these days.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
I feel like everyone replying in this post is coming in wanting to argue with somebody, but since everyone basically agrees on the basics (ie it's form over function and form is by nature subjective), everyone is just tilting at windmills and getting angry on the internet over nothing...

The following users liked this post:
bigc (03-31-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
I feel like everyone replying in this post is coming in wanting to argue with somebody, but since everyone basically agrees on the basics (ie it's form over function and form is by nature subjective), everyone is just tilting at windmills and getting angry on the internet over nothing...
I think you're misreading the thread, people are just arguing points back and forth for each side. Some people completely hate it, others (like myself) don't think the style to that much of an extreme is our cup of tea, but we respect the people who do it as doing what they like.

But for both sides, it is really just pointing out different ways of thinking about the style and alternative perspectives, but I would hardly say people are arguing about it or getting angry over it...

Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 AM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
The only retarded thing I don't get is sacrificing the fenders jus to fit some wheels only to have them mangle up the fenders. Now that's fkn retarded

Old 03-31-2013, 04:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. No point to it but a neck breaker. I cant help but to stare at it with the same thought running through my head, if the cars axles are still intact.
See it catching on in the Bay Area lately too. Scary....

Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Some of the arguments...well, the MAIN argument against stance is pure BS. The argument that everyone uses is that you're hurting the car's performance...from what? Going back to school and work? I mean, do you NEED to take a corner at a gabillion miles an hour in a street car? Do you? Really? Then there's the "hate for him to hit a pothole". Would ya? I don't know ANYONE who wants to hit or who doesn't avoid a pothole in any sort of modified car. The stance crowd (as a whole) uses their cars the same way that most function>form uses their cars. They drive it to work on nice days. They go cruising. They use it for dates. Regular stuff that you could do in a chevy mailbu just as well as you could in a modified Mustang Shelby GT650. And THAT is why I say those arguments are crap. People don't like stance because they think it looks stupid. You can tell yourself it's for the "performance", but it's not. Most people that criticize it don't track their cars either. It's simply a look you don't like and I would respect it so much more if people would just say THAT. Most of the cars I've seen at track days over the past decade or so have been lightly modded. Only exception is drag racing. The kind of cars you see that are slammed are rarely the kind of cars you'd see on the 1320 in teh 1st place.

Slamming cars wears suspension prematurely. Forced induction wears engines prematurely. Large increases in horsepower wears chassis prematurely. And lesbi honest. If you got 400+hp to the wheels, regardless of what it's in, don't tell me you're not going thru tires. Only difference is people cough when you do it. lol.

The fact of the matter is that any serious modification puts premature wear on your car. Regardless of what it is. The difference is, the stance crowd generally doesn't have the delusions of their car being on the track. You never hear anyone say "why did he put twin turbos, a 75-shot of nitrous, and a system to shake Zeus from his foundation in his car? How is that going to help him in the race to 65mph or 35mph in the city?" But we should. JS.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 AM
JS...

That track is called Apex
And here's a little straight line driving https://g35driver.com/forums/drag/42...le-racing.html

Sunken wheels that actually have some meat on them, stock body, not slammed, billet grills that keep the intercooler hidden from view, fully functional.............I know, fvcking hideous to most on this forum.

Last edited by herrschaft; 04-03-2013 at 08:20 AM.