Rear rotors and pads - mixing it up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 PM
D87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear rotors and pads - mixing it up?

So I got Centric 120 series plain rotors and Hawk HPS street pads about a year ago for the fronts (non-Brembo, 2003 coupe). Seem to work well but for some reason about 3 months later I notice squealing after I've been driving awhile - not sure if it's the front or the back (and how the heck can you tell?) But that's not what this post is about...

Anyway, it seems like it's time to change out the rear rotor and pads. I was going to go with the same brand setup, but it seems that a lot of people are saying the Akebono Pro Act is better, which leads to questions:

- Being that it's a different brand than the front pads won't give me weird braking, right? And they are ceramic too - so non-ceramic in front and ceramics in back = no issues?
- Are the rear brakes utilized just as hard as the fronts on our cars? If so, I should maybe stick with the more expensive Hawk pads? (I was thinking more expensive = better?)
- Maybe even get OEM Infiniti rotors and pads if the rear isn't so harsh on braking?

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by D87
- Being that it's a different brand than the front pads won't give me weird braking, right? And they are ceramic too - so non-ceramic in front and ceramics in back = no issues?
- Are the rear brakes utilized just as hard as the fronts on our cars? If so, I should maybe stick with the more expensive Hawk pads? (I was thinking more expensive = better?)
- Maybe even get OEM Infiniti rotors and pads if the rear isn't so harsh on braking?
It will change your brake balance a little, but you probably won't even notice. And ABS takes care of the problem at the limit, so it shouldn't affect you too much.

The rear brakes are utilized more in low intensity braking and with the VDC. Depending on how you drive, you may actually have to replace your rears more often than your fronts.

More expensive pads are not always better. It depends on your what you value out of a brake. Cold stopping power, high operating temperature, dust, longevity, etc.