Four Wheel Brake Job Advice Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Four Wheel Brake Job Advice Please

I want to replace all four rotors and pads on my daughters 2006 G35 Sedan Rear Wheel drive. I see lots of recommendations on this site thank you. Can anyone suggest a none OEM reccomendation that will keep her safe, reliable, and not kill my wallet please? I really appreciate the help!!!

Thanks Gregg

Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
For front pads/rotors, I just used Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with integrated shims and a set of Centric C-Tek Standard rotors. Prior to this set of pads/rotors, I had always used factory Infiniti (the Centric pads/rotors are every bit as good and cost a fraction of factory units), but decided that the price was just too high and the brake dust issues were irritating.

Specific centric part numbers are as follows (note that mine is an 04, so you will use different part numbers):

-2x Centric 121.42074 C-Tek Standard (Rotors)
-Centric 105.0815 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims (Pads)

Centric develops/OEMs the pads and rotors for many of the brand names you see discussed here on the forums, so they are a legit outfit.

You can verify the specific part numbers needed here on the Centric web site: http://www.centricparts.com/

Once you have those, plug them into Amazon and they normally have stock. The price/performance of this combo is unbeatable.

Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by socketz67:
Greggw2gs (08-05-2013), SixFive (05-16-2014)
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Mike, thank for taking the time to help me out! I really appreciate it! I have watched the jobs being done on YouTube and they look super easy to do. Any tricks I need to know about? Thanks again! Gregg

Old 08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Mike, I can get those rotors for $38 on EBAY as well! Awesome thanks!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Plus 1 on using Centric rotors.

Centric Standard for a 2006 G35 are:
Front: 121.42080
Rear: 121.42088

I would go with Akebono ProAct pads, they are an OEM manufacturer and the pads have good stoping power with very little brake dust.

Parts for an 06 are:
Front: ACT888
Rear: ACT905

Old 08-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Plus 1 on using Centric rotors.

Centric Standard for a 2006 G35 are:
Front: 121.42080
Rear: 121.42088

I would go with Akebono ProAct pads, they are an OEM manufacturer and the pads have good stoping power with very little brake dust.

Parts for an 06 are:
Front: ACT888
Rear: ACT905
Thank you very much. Gregg

Old 08-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greggw2gs
Mike, thank for taking the time to help me out! I really appreciate it! I have watched the jobs being done on YouTube and they look super easy to do. Any tricks I need to know about? Thanks again! Gregg
The rotors are not that easy to remove. They are torqued at about 100lbs. You need a 22mm socket, WD40, and an extension, like a pipe, for your ratchet. You will need plenty of force to loosen the rotor bolt in the back, therefore an extension is really a must.....might need a rubber mallet to hammer the extension. Brake pads replacement is pretty standard. I would suggest you replace the brake fluid while you are at it

Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad1
The rotors are not that easy to remove. They are torqued at about 100lbs. You need a 22mm socket, WD40, and an extension, like a pipe, for your ratchet. You will need plenty of force to loosen the rotor bolt in the back, therefore an extension is really a must.....might need a rubber mallet to hammer the extension. Brake pads replacement is pretty standard. I would suggest you replace the brake fluid while you are at it
Thanks for the heads up on the 22mm bolt that's a bear to get off. I watched many videos and have not seen a bolt that size in the procedure. Are these on the back side of the front rotors?

Also I saw one video where the parking brake adjustment mechanism needed to be loosened like 10 clicks before the rear rotors came off. Can anyone confirm this?

Buying parts now but won't be doing the job until labor day weekend.

All this help is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Premier Member

Thanks for the heads up on the 22mm bolt that's a bear to get off. I watched many videos and have not seen a bolt that size in the procedure. Are these on the back side of the front rotors?

Also I saw one video where the parking brake adjustment mechanism needed to be loosened like 10 clicks before the rear rotors came off. Can anyone confirm this?

Buying parts now but won't be doing the job until labor day weekend.

All this help is greatly appreciated!!!
Parking brake does need to be loosened to get the rear rotors off.

I think KingoftheRoad1 is talking about the brake caliper carrier, or torque member, that bolts to the hub. Rotors themselves aren't bolted to anything, they float on the lug nuts are are held in place when the wheel is installed. Pretty normal setup if you've ever done brakes on a car before.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Parking brake does need to be loosened to get the rear rotors off.

I think KingoftheRoad1 is talking about the brake caliper carrier, or torque member, that bolts to the hub. Rotors themselves aren't bolted to anything, they float on the lug nuts are are held in place when the wheel is installed. Pretty normal setup if you've ever done brakes on a car before.
LoSt180,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense to me as I thought the rotors just float. I have a 16" 1/2 breaker bar and a lot of muscle so I mad not too concerned about that bolt. I will wd40 all parts before I tear into them. I haven't done too many brakes in my life but I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and can usually figure stuff out if price gets to a point I need to.

On the rear adjustment I assume I click UP, or is it DOWN, about ten clicks to loosen then after new pads and rotor goes on I adjust back to snug? Snug being where I can rotate wheel with a good amount of friction? Your advice here is very much welcome,

Thanks again. I bought all the parts you recommended this morning on amazon...

Gregg

The following users liked this post:
LoSt180 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Premier Member

On the rear adjustment I assume I click UP, or is it DOWN, about ten clicks to loosen then after new pads and rotor goes on I adjust back to snug? Snug being where I can rotate wheel with a good amount of friction? Your advice here is very much welcome,
Up loosens, Down tightens. I usually follow the whole parking brake adjustment procedure.

Since you're an aircraft mechanic, I'm going to assume you can find you way around a service manual: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2006_G35_Sedan/
PB is parking brake
BR is brakes
FWD is quick reference because I still get mixed up about where to find stuff

I don't remember if the centric standard rotors come with the e-coating, but I'd hit the rotor hat portions with some high-temp paint to avoid ugly rusty rotors.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Up loosens, Down tightens. I usually follow the whole parking brake adjustment procedure.

Since you're an aircraft mechanic, I'm going to assume you can find you way around a service manual: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2006_G35_Sedan/
PB is parking brake
BR is brakes
FWD is quick reference because I still get mixed up about where to find stuff

I don't remember if the centric standard rotors come with the e-coating, but I'd hit the rotor hat portions with some high-temp paint to avoid ugly rusty rotors.
Awesome links!!!!! Thanks you!!!!

Yes e-coated...

Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Definitely do the 10 click loosening of the rotors. I had muscled off the first rotor without doing so and it took 5x the work. I use centric rotors and ceramic brake pads, great product. Also recommend using a C-Clamp to push out the caliper. Make sure you open the master cylinder lid

Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I see you already bought the parts, but regular rotors and the premium brake pads from any auto parts store like Autozone or Advanced Auto will work fine too and are cheap. You should change the brake fluid too if it's old. Valvoline synthetic from auto parts store is easy to find and cheap.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by wallofgrath
I see you already bought the parts, but regular rotors and the premium brake pads from any auto parts store like Autozone or Advanced Auto will work fine too and are cheap. You should change the brake fluid too if it's old. Valvoline synthetic from auto parts store is easy to find and cheap.
Thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Four Wheel Brake Job Advice Please