Lowered on Hotchkis springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lowered on Hotchkis springs

After a couple months of reading countless posts on lowering our G's, I finally decided to pull the trigger on some springs from Hotchkis(the 350z/g35 set). I got them in last week and they went on today!

I know that springs aren't generally the recommended route for our cars, I had to sit back and weigh my options. I didn't want it slammed, as I daily drive it 7 days a week in Dallas, and I didn't want something that was more show than performance. I looked at a LOT of coilovers, but price really as a factor as well(for now). So I ended up with my set of Hotchkis springs. They seemed to offer the best combination of comfort, handling, and drop. I know there are a ton of other spring options out there, and I do wish I could try them all.

I put the springs on, and my WORD what a difference. I am in fact lowered, but the ride quality is actually BETTER than my stock sport suspension. I have a 2006 coupe, sports package and 90,000 miles. I was expecting the handling to be improved, but I was not expecting the comfort to improve as well. It's probably because my stock suspension was shot? All I know is that it feels better.

I'm going to let the springs settle for a week or two, and then take the car in for an alignment to determine whether or not I need a camber kit. Currently I'm in love with the look of it.

I've attached a picture that kind of shows the drop and the fitment. I have 25mm spacers on the rear, and will be getting 15mm or 20 for the front. Still debating on that.

That's my story! Slow and steady will the mods be coming along. Maybe a front lip is next?

Attached Thumbnails Lowered on Hotchkis springs-image-1418840371.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that looks great! Looks like a pretty even drop which you don't usually get with springs for the g. You make me wanna get sport sides now lol!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by XxGEEDUPxX
Wow that looks great! Looks like a pretty even drop which you don't usually get with springs for the g. You make me wanna get sport sides now lol!
Thanks! It does feel pretty even. With the spacers in the back, the rear looks perfect to me.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Nice pic and coupe! Looks like Texas...not a mountain or hill in sight! Ask the tech doing your alignment how far off OE specs your alignment is, you don't want to be buying tires every year. Enjoy the ride!
Gary

Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Nice pic and coupe! Looks like Texas...not a mountain or hill in sight! Ask the tech doing your alignment how far off OE specs your alignment is, you don't want to be buying tires every year. Enjoy the ride! Gary
Thanks, Gary! And in fact, it is Texas! Good eye. Ha.

That's good advice. There's a shop out here called Texas Track Works that I think I'm going to fork out the cash to go to. They have done a tone of lowered Zs and G's, so I view them as trustworthy.

And speaking of tires, I'm actually having to buy a pair in the next week. :/ cording and feathering are not good things.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redguitarfreak
After a couple months of reading countless posts on lowering our G's, I finally decided to pull the trigger on some springs from Hotchkis(the 350z/g35 set). I got them in last week and they went on today!

I know that springs aren't generally the recommended route for our cars, I had to sit back and weigh my options. I didn't want it slammed, as I daily drive it 7 days a week in Dallas, and I didn't want something that was more show than performance. I looked at a LOT of coilovers, but price really as a factor as well(for now). So I ended up with my set of Hotchkis springs. They seemed to offer the best combination of comfort, handling, and drop. I know there are a ton of other spring options out there, and I do wish I could try them all.

I put the springs on, and my WORD what a difference. I am in fact lowered, but the ride quality is actually BETTER than my stock sport suspension. I have a 2006 coupe, sports package and 90,000 miles. I was expecting the handling to be improved, but I was not expecting the comfort to improve as well. It's probably because my stock suspension was shot? All I know is that it feels better.

I'm going to let the springs settle for a week or two, and then take the car in for an alignment to determine whether or not I need a camber kit. Currently I'm in love with the look of it.

I've attached a picture that kind of shows the drop and the fitment. I have 25mm spacers on the rear, and will be getting 15mm or 20 for the front. Still debating on that.

That's my story! Slow and steady will the mods be coming along. Maybe a front lip is next?
Reviving this old thread hoping to get some advise from anyone with these springs. I'm also looking at lowering my girl's 05 G35 coupe with hotchkis springs. I've been researching springs for a while. Eibach prokit for the g seems to leave a bit of a larger gap in the front, 350z pro kit seems to drop the front a little too much, the tein s techs seem perfect but that rear spring rate is way too soft, so that leaves hotchkis. I cant really tell by this picture, I want the front tires separated from the fender by a hairline and the rear just a tad higher. If anyone else has any more clear pics of a g coupe on hotchkis springs it will be highly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:46 AM
Ah! I'm just now seeing this, so sorry for the delay.

But, I LOVED these springs. A moderate drop that allowed me to run a slightly bigger than OEM tire on my Rays.

The springs are a linear style, while most of the other aftermarket options out there for our cars are progressive. That basically means that the springs rate is pretty much consistent all the way through it. So if you're taking a mild corner vs. hitting a U turn pretty hard, the springs stay about the same stiffness. Whereas something like the Eibachs are progressive, and will get stiffer as you dig in to them.

There's a couple pics of my car on the springs below. I'm on air now(with a bonus pic), but I really can't recommend the springs enough. Great sporty ride, not too cushy, and I felt really confident on the springs in any corner. Great for a sporty driver but could definitely handle the daily drive and long commute if you need. Drove 300+ miles a week on those things. lol.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Here's a good view of the wheel gap on the sides. I had no problems clearing pretty much any speedbumps or dips or whathave you.

Bye bye gap!

Originally Posted by silversleeper
Reviving this old thread hoping to get some advise from anyone with these springs. I'm also looking at lowering my girl's 05 G35 coupe with hotchkis springs. I've been researching springs for a while. Eibach prokit for the g seems to leave a bit of a larger gap in the front, 350z pro kit seems to drop the front a little too much, the tein s techs seem perfect but that rear spring rate is way too soft, so that leaves hotchkis. I cant really tell by this picture, I want the front tires separated from the fender by a hairline and the rear just a tad higher. If anyone else has any more clear pics of a g coupe on hotchkis springs it will be highly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:23 PM
Thank u very much for the reply. This helps me a lot. I actually have the hotchkis tvs on my 07 350z and I love it, I agree with everything u said about ride comfort and predictability of linear springs. It looks good on the G but the rear does seem a little high compared to the front. It seems to be a common issue with z springs on the g. Thank u very much for posting those pics, it is truly appreciated. And the air ride is looking great btw

Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Any time man. And that's funny, these springs on a '07 were my first introduction to them lol.

As far as the rears go, these would be great springs to shave the bump stop with. That would definitely help even out some of the rake associated with them.

And thanks for the kind words about the air.

Originally Posted by silversleeper
Thank u very much for the reply. This helps me a lot. I actually have the hotchkis tvs on my 07 350z and I love it, I agree with everything u said about ride comfort and predictability of linear springs. It looks good on the G but the rear does seem a little high compared to the front. It seems to be a common issue with z springs on the g. Thank u very much for posting those pics, it is truly appreciated. And the air ride is looking great btw

Old 02-06-2018, 09:36 AM
What tire sizes you have that stance?

Old 02-06-2018, 12:06 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Those are the OEM 19" wheels and looks like stock size rubber. Looks the same as mine and I'm on stock rubber.