Revolution Brakes 03-04 Wilwood 4 piston install stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Revolution Brakes 03-04 Wilwood 4 piston install stuck

I'm going on 2 months of dealing with this now, and getting dangerously close to actually paying someone to reinstall my stock calipers. I'm attempting to have the Revolution Brake kit for the base-braking system 03-04 coupe and sedan on my 04 coupe. Using the 2006 G/Z 320mm rotors. Wildwood super lite forged 4 piston calipers. The brakes went on about 6 weeks ago, and the mechanic said they squealed. They sure did, awfully, especially on hard or final braking and once warm. Additionally, they brakes whine terribly when just driving on any sort of wheel inflection at all. I thought that the inner pad was dragging, but we've confirmed that is not the case. They just sing like a broken electric violin. I've had squeaky brakes and dusty compounds before, but this is not that. This is harmonic. I've had 3 mechanics refuse to look at them given the custom setup, and after renewing AAA plus to have it towed back to the original mechanic, they offered little help as well. They said that the caliper mount had to be shimmed to center it over the rotor, and that there was no way around this without a custom-machined bracket, and that was no guarantee as well.

With labor and materials, I'm now in over $1300 on front brakes alone and terrified I'll have to pay more to go back to stock at this point. Even Wilwood had no shop suggestions for me closer than 100 miles away. I've only had this car a few months and have not been able to drive it for this persistent issue.

Does anyone else have this kit installed? Have you had similar issues? Did your brackets not fit without shimming? Did you have to perform an early Z TSB for the brakes (Kevin at Revolution hinted at this, but wasn't able to offer the TSB #). The guy swears he's sold a ton of these, and I know nobody else is dealing with noise like this. Either that isn't true, this install wasn't done right, or I got at least some incorrect parts. Hoping for any insight and to salvage this mod. They look and stop great, but this can't remain as is. I'd rather reinstall the stock setup.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:51 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
http://store.revolutionbrake.com/14-0077.html

Are you sure the shims included with the package were installed? This picture from the manufacturer clearly shows them.

Also, why did you order the '06 kit and not the one for your year of vehicle? Was there a different caliper bracket used that could be the problem?

Old 08-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
http://store.revolutionbrake.com/14-0077.html

Are you sure the shims included with the package were installed? This picture from the manufacturer clearly shows them.

Also, why did you order the '06 kit and not the one for your year of vehicle? Was there a different caliper bracket used that could be the problem?
That isn't quite the kit I ordered. I ordered the 03-05 kit shown here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Brake-Ki...19.m1438.l2649

This kit advises the use of the later 06 (and 05 I think) 320 mm G/Z rotors. No shims were included, but Revolution sent some adhesive backed pad shims after the fact. That didn't fix the issue, unfortunately.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:20 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Reading a bit more into that kit it works with ONLY the 2006 350Z rotors, not the G35 ones. Also it only works with the NON-Brembo 2006, the brembo rotors won't work.

At this point I would verify the part numbers on your rotors to ensure you don't accidently have the ones for the brembo brake package and also verify they are indeed from a 2006.

Edit, if you don't have part numbers to verify or the original boxes, you can mic them out. AutoZone has the dimensions listed on this.page, first here is the NON-Brembo rotor (the one you need.

http://m.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-rotor/duralast-brake-rotor/868081_205733_2708?location=Front

Next is the brembo package rotors, the wrong ones.

http://m.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-rotor/duralast-brake-rotor/232335_205733_2708?location=Front

As you can see from the dimensions the overall diameter is +2mm and the brembos are about a half a MM deeper overall but the thickness of the clamping surface is almost 2MM bigger, this would definitely cause the pads to drag and I have a gut feeling this is your issue.

Easy to verify these measurements though!

Last edited by cleric670; 08-05-2017 at 04:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jloudgood (08-07-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 PM
The car is at the shop some 30 miles away, but I'll have them check the measurements on Monday. I'm 95% sure I got the 320mm version.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Wow. Glad I asked and thankful for the help. I did have the larger rotors on there. The 320 mm versions are on the way to the shop now! My fingers are crossed for now. Might even have it back tomorrow. Thank you for the notes.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Awesome, glad it's not one of life's great mysteries anymore!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:30 AM
Supposedly, the new rotors mounted much better and we were able to remove several added shims. The new mount is much more secure. The tech said it squeaked a little on final braking, but was otherwise much improved all around. We may have found the issue. Thank you very much Cleric! I had my old calipers on the floor ready to go back in the car. I get her back mid-day tomorrow and can test for myself. I may switch to a harder pad with less dust, but we'll see. I'm happy that we seemed to identify the magic bullet here.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
High five

Old 08-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Drove home with great brakes today. They started out with a little harmonic whine, and I was terrified this would be my life forever, but as the pads bedded better that went away. Performance is significantly better than the stock non-Brembos. High five indeed. Many thanks. Anybody need a set of 324 X 30 MM rotors for the stock Brembos? Cover shipping and they are yours. Less than 100 miles.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:24 PM
The brakes are still on and working ok, but the rotors are mounted unevenly with the pads. As they wear, I expect to have issues. I've contacted Revolution and they are making a new mild steel bracket to resolve this. I guess that's ok, but I'm not too excited about getting this car back up on the rack yet again. I can't help but feel like I'm being guinea pigged to some extent. I've seen several threads of people selling this kit, but I'm not sure I've found proof of this kit being actually installed for anyone here long term. I'm shocked this hasn't come up before if this really is one of their best sellers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.