Steering wheel wont center itself

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel wont center itself

First of all, thank you for your comments.
I recently have the front lower control arms replaced due to damage. the tires were wearing inside very bad. Right after they were replaced, I test drive it and the steering wheel wont come back to center after turning. If I make a 90 degree turn(either side) and leave the wheel, it turns itself all the way to one side instead of recenter. The mechanic said I need to drive some time. It is too tight and will loosen eventually.
I know I need an alignment after control arm replacement, but it seems like a bigger problem. I appreciate your advise.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Jack it up, unhook the tie rod end and turn it by hand to make sure there isnt a lot of resistance at the ball joint or something, could just be alignment though.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Sounds like your so called mechanic grew up in a bone yard, never went to training! Having suspension parts damaged and replaced you shouldn't have left his shop before getting an alignment, that's a no brainer! Every neighborhood has an "independent brake/alignment shop," all they do is suspensions...find yours!
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.