Brembo brakes squeeling at low speeds?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo brakes squeeling at low speeds?

I have an 04 6MT with 18,000kms (I live in Vancouver BC, Canada) and ever since brand new I've had no problems with my brembos (not even a squeel); I do wash my rims weekly too.

However it all started 3 weeks ago when at slow speeds before approaching a full stop they would squeel (passenger side only), eventually getting louder and louder with time. At one point it was quite shameful as I approach stops, like it was howling. Each time the squeeling would go away when I pressed the brakes, but would come back when I slowed down again.

I also tried slamming the brakes and this would cause the squeeling to take longer to come back; not a solution but I was testing different outcomes. Also after a wash it would slightly delay the squeeling....

I took it in for a 1yr service and Infinti said the brake components need to be cleaned/serviced (obviously this would be there quick answer!). A day after servicing the squeeling came back. I took it back again and this time they said I had a very slight/small groove in my passenger side rotor causing squeeling when rotating, as a result they machined all 4 rotors. For the last week I've had no squeel, but it just came back again. This time the squeeling is very light, but I'm sure it will get louder based on prior experience.

Searching thru posts I've noticed some ppl indicating this is normal when pressing the brakes others saying no, but is it normal to stop squeeling once I the brakes are applied? If so why is this happening a year later, and I have lots of pad left too (10mm to be exact).

I remember reading in a past post (I can't seem to find it now) about the same problem, if I recall the solution was something was not torqued properly or had to be re-torqued & it wasn't about the brakes?? Any insight would be much appreciated, as before I go back to the dealership I would like have to have my own suggestions.

Thanks all for your help! The little issues like this can be very annoying....

Old 05-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Are you sure you have 10mm left? That would make them brand new.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:07 PM
mine do it too. i'm taking it in. it happens when I'm at a steady speed or slowing down... especially in the evening. ugh.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:06 AM
LEK
That Guy

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah it's time to replace your pads.....probably. I'm getting mine replaced this Monday.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by drleich
mine do it too. i'm taking it in. it happens when I'm at a steady speed or slowing down... especially in the evening. ugh.

YES.....I have had this problem since my car was 2 months old with about 2000 miles on it....it now has almost 10,000 miles on it...6MT brembos

I have a SQUEEKING sound from the REAR caliper...Passenger side rear...it only squeeks when the car is rolling or when i'm coasting....The squeek goes away when i accelerate or press on the brakes....sometimes it does it....sometimes not....infact one time it did it as i accelerated....AND ITS MORE SO IN THE EVENING!!!!!!!! it seems its temperature dependent.....never does it when its really cold outside..only on warmer temps and sunset..could be that its quieter at nightt and i'm detecting it more so...hehehw

it appears that the rear parking brake must be stuck or is causing wear on the rotors....?? i have no idea...infact i'm trying to bring it to the dealer to have them listen to it...but each time i get there...it doesn't want to do it..(son of a B!tch)....

Old 05-30-2005, 11:11 AM
I had the same problem. I decided to replace them with Hawk Pads, they do stop much better but I have the same squeeling noise that seems to be coming from the rear passenger side. The squeel is more pronounced at very slow speeds or when coming to a slow stop. Also, I have developed a strange clicking noise when taking off from a dead stop. It almost sounds like it's something in the center cap but I checked it and it's fine. Anyone else having the clicking noise?

Old 05-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G35COUPEBC
Each time the squeeling would go away when I pressed the brakes, but would come back when I slowed down again.
I remember reading in a past post (I can't seem to find it now) about the same problem, if I recall the solution was something was not torqued properly or had to be re-torqued & it wasn't about the brakes?? Any insight would be much appreciated, as before I go back to the dealership I would like have to have my own suggestions.
It's not the brakes, it's the axle Read my post here

Also, I have developed a strange clicking noise
the bulletin i ref in that post specifies clicking noise from rear....prob the same issue.

Last edited by redwillow; 05-30-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:38 PM
i have the exact same problem on my car, '05 brembo w/ 10k miles.

the squeeling noise start coming after about 5 min. of driving, and goes away when i brake. after weeks of frustration i took my car twice to the dealer.
first time they told me there's nothing wrong; it's the noise from the brake dust.
what they told me the second time around was quite shocking. they told me that my rear rotors were glazed and i had to replace them for around $1200 not including labor, because the brembos don't come under warranty and they can't be machined.
how ridiculous is that?

after reading this thread i decided to call them again and try to tell them it may be the axle.. (thanks to redwillow.) i really hope it will work.
should i just mention the bulletin number?

sucks having to go through this though.

Last edited by keuni77; 06-01-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:59 PM
I've now had the TSB done on my car and after a few weeks of driving the squeeling @ low speeds has returned! It is now definitley less (I can't seem to figure how it is triggered), as opposed to all the time.

Anyone have any other ideas? Or do we live with the fact this is normal and there is nothing to do about it. My dealer doesn't know where to look from here.

BTW - when the dealer did the service for redwillow's TSB, they did mentioned it needed to be done; something about needing more grease.

Thanks all!

Old 06-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
DUDE! mine does the same thing! it squeels at approximately 30 MPH cruising on the front passenger side wheel. It only does it occasionally. My car is going in tomorrow for the appointment. I'll let you know if there's any new info.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:32 PM
OMG, mine does the same ****. I was dreading taking it to the dealership, since I didnt' even know how to describe it, and the noise doesn't happen all the time..

I'll listen to it more, then take it to the dealership soon.

Thanks guys for great info

Old 06-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
ok here's a weird one. my dealer said it's coolant? saying there's a small hole that's making the noise.. but then it's metal to metal sound.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:01 AM
i've had my TSB done, and the noise came back.. but it's smaller than last time. the noise used to be a constant squeel, and now it has intervals between the squeels.
this seems to be a wide known problem, still surprised that infiniti hasn't given any notice to the dealers about it since my dealer doesn't seem to have a clue.
dang..

Old 06-25-2005, 06:50 PM
I'm experiencing the same noise coming from the passenger side rear. Also experiencing the clicking noise too.. ARGHH! it hasn't even been a year yet. WTF!?!

Old 06-27-2005, 03:07 AM
OMG, i thought i was the only one with this problem. i had the torque nut re-torqued and it still came back. i don't see how it can be a problem with the axle when the noise goes away when the brakes are applied. it had to be a problem around the rotors and calipers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brembo brakes squeeling at low speeds?