G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Weird noise coming from rear of car...Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird noise coming from rear of car...Help!

This has only happened at night so far, or I haven't noticed it anytime else it has happened. I was driving with the windows down, just cruising home, and I hear this high pitched squeal. It hard to describe. At first I thought it was just crickets chirping as I passed them by, but the squeal was constant. It sounds similar to a intake sucking in air for the first time, but just the high pitch part of the intake, if that makes sense.

This has happened twice so far and both at night. I am driving and all of a sudden I hear squealing coming from the rear passenger side. It stops when I tap on the breaks, and sometimes that stops it for a while. But when I get back up to speed 25+mph it sometimes starts again and I have to tap my brakes to make it stop.

The only thing I recently did to my car was install a exhaust, but I don't think that's what is causing it. I think something might be rubbing against something, most likely two metal parts which could account for the high pitched sound.

Btw, this happened when I am on the gas. Not when I am braking.

I have the brembo brakes and currently have 18k miles on my car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by DaN_the_MaN; 05-29-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaN_the_MaN
This has only happened at night so far, or I haven't noticed it anytime else it has happened. I was driving with the windows down, just cruising home, and I hear this high pitched squeal. It hard to describe. At first I thought it was just crickets chirping as I passed them by, but the squeal was constant. It sounds similar to a intake sucking in air for the first time, but just the high pitch part of the intake, if that makes sense.

This has happened twice so far and both at night. I am driving and all of a sudden I hear squealing coming from the rear passenger side. It stops when I tap on the breaks, and sometimes that stops it for a while. But when I get back up to speed 25+mph it sometimes starts again and I have to tap my brakes to make it stop.

The only thing I recently did to my car was install a exhaust, but I don't think that's what is causing it. I think something might be rubbing against something, most likely two metal parts which could account for the high pitched sound.

Btw, this happened when I am on the gas. Not when I am braking.

I have the brembo brakes and currently have 18k miles on my car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

I GET the same thing...and there is a post already started on this...if you find out what is the cause of this let me know.....for me..its coming from the rear passenger rotor (brembo)

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/55573-brembo-brakes-squeeling-low-speeds.html

Old 05-29-2005, 03:51 AM
Ya, I read that post, but it doesn't squeak when I am braking. It squeaks when I am applying gas or when I am just cruising with my foot off the gas and break. I stops squeaking when I tap the brakes. I think this is a different issue than that thread.

Old 05-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by DaN_the_MaN
Ya, I read that post, but it doesn't squeak when I am braking. It squeaks when I am applying gas or when I am just cruising with my foot off the gas and break. I stops squeaking when I tap the brakes. I think this is a different issue than that thread.
Exactly....I get the same thing....when i accelerate or brake the squeak goes AWAY.....but if i'm coasting at low speeds....there is a constant squeak from the rear passenger brake

Old 05-29-2005, 11:15 AM
i recently had a sound coming from under middle compartment and took it into the dealer and they couldn't find the problem the hooked up mic's to the car and found the noise was coming from the tranny so they replaced sound still there then they replaced the driveshaft problem solved this happended at around 2900 rpm but went away at braking they said they have never heard this noise before

Old 05-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when i accelerate or brake the squeak goes AWAY.....but if i'm coasting at low speeds....there is a constant squeak from the rear passenger brake
this is a known issue ya'll... it is not from the brakes it is from the axle but it does go away as soon as you tap the brakes. I had this fixed by the dealership with "inspected axle nut torque" and bulletin "ITB05-002". I think the noise description on the bulletin says "grinding noise" or something, but that def fixed this problem for me. I had it done back in Feb and i have not heard it since. I just kept telling the dealership "it's not the brakes, it's the axle" and they eventually figured it out.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Never enough
I have a odd noise but have heard it on others G's and Z's. Its like a rattle or ching ching. when I first put on the gas. It sounds like its coming from the rear passanger wheel.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by redwillow
this is a known issue ya'll... it is not from the brakes it is from the axle but it does go away as soon as you tap the brakes. I had this fixed by the dealership with "inspected axle nut torque" and bulletin "ITB05-002". I think the noise description on the bulletin says "grinding noise" or something, but that def fixed this problem for me. I had it done back in Feb and i have not heard it since. I just kept telling the dealership "it's not the brakes, it's the axle" and they eventually figured it out.
Really? I find that hard to believe that the axle is making the squeaking brake sound..and the fact that it comes and goes makes me even think more so that its the brakes...but u are right....if i hit the brakes or accelerate the sound does go away.......

Old 05-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Roger that...

Wow, this is what makes these forums great. I too am experiencing a strange noise coming from the driver's side rear tire. The noise is rhythmic and metallic in nature. As long as the car is moving, it makes the noise. If the car increases speed, the noise increases in frequency. On a few occassions where i've reversed into my garage, the noise was horrific. Almost like someone was twisting an aluminum can in half... A visual check of everything yielded nothing. I'm having a mechanic check it out this coming week. The car has only 5500 miles in it.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:25 AM
I love you redwillow! I will tell the dealer about the bulletin when I take my car in for service tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Gangster Member
What year is your cars?

Old 06-03-2005, 02:31 PM
below is my experience, not sure if it helps. you may want to write it off quick b/c mine had to do w/ turning.. but think carefully about what you are experiencing and compare it to what i experienced..

one warning, its kinda long:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/26303-squeaking-problem-need-opinions-advice.html

Old 07-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
help me too!!!!! heard the noise yesterday =(

04, 6MT w/ 21K

Old 07-10-2005, 04:47 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
OK guys, I'm going into yelling mode now....

THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE PEOPLE. THE SQUEAK YOU'RE HEARING IS A THE BEARING ON THE REAR AXLE WEARING OUT DUE TO A TOO TIGHT FACTORY SPEC.

SYMPTOMS: WHEN CRUISING (USUALLY AT RELATIVELY LOW SPEEDS), SOMETIMES GOING DOWN HEAL, YOU WILL HEAR A ROCKING-HIGH-PITCHED-SQUEAL. IF YOU BRAKE THE SQUEAK GOES AWAY - DEFINITELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR BRAKES. PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM WITH BOTH 6MT's AND 5AT's.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE TSB MY DEALER HAD TO APPLY. IT TOOK ME 2 WEEKS AND 3 VISITS UNTIL THEY FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT.

LINK.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks for the info speedoholic! =)

if i hear the noise come back, im putting on the stockers and taking the baby in