Brake advice please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006 | 01:40 PM
|
Question Brake advice please

I have an 05' MT6 sedan. It has 24K on it. The front brake pads have 5mm left. I would like to replace them now. The front rotors have a slight run out problem that shows up in very high speed braking.

My wife drives the car most of the time.

Suggestions on what pads and what to do with the rotors?

What about Hawk pads? Should I just turn the rotors (providing there is enough left) or replace them. I have found that turning warped rotors only delays the problem, it shows up again shortly.

And don't say BBK, don't have the money at this time.

PS: Will I have issues (biasing F/B) if I change rotor/pads on the front that are "other than stock" without doing the same to the back?

Last edited by Texasscout; 01-20-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2006 | 01:52 PM
assuming the rotors are in spec, you should be fine by just turning them. Assuming you replace the pads when you turn the rotors, it's just the same as buying new ones. however, if you turn the rotors and do not replace the pads, then your back to square one as the un-even wear in the pads will wear the rotors down in the same place.

however, this is assuming there's nothing wrong w/ ur calipers. if you turn the rotors each time u replace pads and you're still having problems, there is something else wrong ... most likely you have an oring that is shot around one of the pistons or a piston is shot totally.

Old 01-20-2006 | 02:52 PM
|
Originally Posted by cerr
assuming the rotors are in spec, you should be fine by just turning them. Assuming you replace the pads when you turn the rotors, it's just the same as buying new ones. however, if you turn the rotors and do not replace the pads, then your back to square one as the un-even wear in the pads will wear the rotors down in the same place.

however, this is assuming there's nothing wrong w/ ur calipers. if you turn the rotors each time u replace pads and you're still having problems, there is something else wrong ... most likely you have an oring that is shot around one of the pistons or a piston is shot totally.
Thanks for the quick reply. The trouble I refer to was not with the G. It is many other cars I have had. I had two Chrysler Sebrings that ate pads like candy. One had the pads replaced 5 times in 60K! Three of those times under warrenty.

I want to use an "aftermarket" brand of pad to make it last longer and stop better. 25K on brakes (even in a "performance" car) is just too short. Heck the brakes in my F-150 went 95K and I drove the ca ca out of it.

What looks good so far is the Stop-Tech performace kit for Non-Brembo G-35.

Four each: Stop-Tech drilled or slotted rotors, pad sets, SS lines, DOT-5 fluid for $620.00.

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=3424

Last edited by Texasscout; 01-20-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2006 | 04:32 PM
That upgrade is for 03-04 models which have smaller rotors and different size pads. I don't know of anyone making aftermarket stuff for the 05-06s yet.

Old 01-20-2006 | 10:14 PM
I believe Tire Rack stocks the Akebono ceramic pads for the 2005. This would be my pad of choice for a street pad - have heard very good things about it.

Old 01-21-2006 | 11:01 AM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Hey TS, I am surprised your brakes only have 5mm left at 24k. I just looked at mine and I have at least 70% life left with 14k of miles on them with many autox runs.

Now personally if your wife drives the car the most. I would just get some replacement pads. Get some ceramic ones. Hawk pads have a tendency to eat rotors up, and squeal after a while. But maybe they have different type of pads now that won't do that.

Originally Posted by Texasscout
I have an 05' MT6 sedan. It has 24K on it. The front brake pads have 5mm left. I would like to replace them now. The front rotors have a slight run out problem that shows up in very high speed braking.

My wife drives the car most of the time.

Suggestions on what pads and what to do with the rotors?

What about Hawk pads? Should I just turn the rotors (providing there is enough left) or replace them. I have found that turning warped rotors only delays the problem, it shows up again shortly.

And don't say BBK, don't have the money at this time.

PS: Will I have issues (biasing F/B) if I change rotor/pads on the front that are "other than stock" without doing the same to the back?

Old 01-21-2006 | 11:05 AM
Premier Member
Premier Member
The 03-04 G35 had much smaller brakes than the 05+. They only lasted 15k a set which was much worse than ours. I would look into the specs of those ST brakes and see the rotor size. Because they maybe the same size you have now or smaller. So be careful. Crossdrilled/Slotted is mostly for looks. You have less surface area so the rotor will get much hotter faster and possibly warp or crack faster. It is always better to up size the rotor without the drilled holes or slots. I agree about the F150 brakes. My friends F150 lasted 80k! But his pads had about 100% more pad thickness than ours did as well.

Originally Posted by Texasscout
Thanks for the quick reply. The trouble I refer to was not with the G. It is many other cars I have had. I had two Chrysler Sebrings that ate pads like candy. One had the pads replaced 5 times in 60K! Three of those times under warrenty.

I want to use an "aftermarket" brand of pad to make it last longer and stop better. 25K on brakes (even in a "performance" car) is just too short. Heck the brakes in my F-150 went 95K and I drove the ca ca out of it.

What looks good so far is the Stop-Tech performace kit for Non-Brembo G-35.

Four each: Stop-Tech drilled or slotted rotors, pad sets, SS lines, DOT-5 fluid for $620.00.

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=3424