Suspension help please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
The following is based on your car being a 05 6MT coupe, if that is wrong, please speak up.

Many G35 Basics review's have pointed out a feeling that the setup has a "like stock" ride quality. However, given that the setup uses much stiffer springs IMO saying that it's firmer then oem is really in order. Though what they are saying likely has to do with very good dampning control, which is the key ingrediant to a good suspension. Really, if I were seek out another G owner close to you that has Basics and ask for a ride along.

The following specs differ to reflect how a 05 6MT differ's oem suspension wise. I'm posting the specs so you can see the spring stiffnesses vs stock.

Tein CS (Monotube constructionad, adjustable dampners )
Special Note: A comfort ride system compare to HKS LS.They are valved and sprung to fulfill their intended mission of offering up improved ride comfort. More specifically their valving will impact the performance they can deliver. And to add, revalving them is extremely expensive if you find they are too soft for you. If you want performance, pick a different Tein offering or pick a different brand.
Spring rates 392/392
Stiffer or softer then oem by F+25% R-8%

Tein Basic (twin tube construction, non adjustable dampners )
Spring rates 504/504
Stiffer then oem by F+61% R+18%
If a simple $130 change in front springs is done to 448lbs F+43% R+18%
Side Note: Excellent value at it’s price point, drop's sedan's more then some of us care for.

How does the RS compare to the CS and Basic? The setup would slot in between the two ride and drive wise. Both the Basic and the RS both have many extreamly positive review's that you can search for and read on my350Z.com or on G35driver.

HKS RS (Monotube construction, adjustable dampning)
448/448 F+43% R+5%
Yes, i do have and am asking for an 05 6MT Coupe.

I just looked at performancenissanparts.com and checked out the prices for the HKS RS and LS and the prices shocked me. I had no idea they were that much more expensive. Since it seems like HKS and Tein are comparable, i think i'll go for Teins just because they're cheaper while offering similar results.

I do have a couple people in mind that i can ask for a ride, but it's hard as schedules conflict. Hopefully i'll be able to soon so i can see for myself if the basics are what i really want. Will it make a difference if the car i'll be sitting in is an 04 6MT pretty much slammed? I like the basic's price point, but i'm just worried i'll learn to regret it as i have with the prelude. That's why i have a billion and one questions.

On the subject of revalving... how much does that kind of work go for? Just curious...

Gsedan35: I really appreciate your help and all the opinions and options you've given. Much thanks!

Old 02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this doesn't entirely answer your question, but might reinforce your feelings about the tein basics. i had them on my accord and man that was one bouncy ride. i think in the end they were too soft. i have the sport pkg on my sedan right now and i notice that there's some bounce but also some stiffness. finding a good mix is important, so compare the spring rates for the basics and cs and see which works. good luck!

Old 02-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Hillside 206
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Update!

So i got a little seat time in a Coupe with Basics and i honestly can't tell the difference. It might be slightly more bouncey, but nothing i can't handle.

Looks like i'll be saving some money