Lowering your car and other performance theory!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blah Blah Blah...
Whose says I'm stepping in and tell your a$$ what to do? No **** I know its two different cars. "Theory" was a question, not a statment! You're such an a$$ for bashing.

And no, factory struts do not come design for only ONE spring rate. All Gs and Zs have same stock structs with different spring rates.

Originally Posted by 1BADV6
A Civic owner stepping in to tell us what to do. You realize you are talking about 2 different cars here right?

Anyway, no matter the car, aftermarket lowering springs will indeed deteroriate stock struts. Struts are designed from the factory with one spring rate in mind. When you move to a more aggressive rate you are causing your shocks to do more work that they are not designed to do. Case in point, shocks wear out quickly when paired with aftermarket lowering springs. I've seen it so many countless times with so many different cars that it holds true for most any car out there.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sidewy8
Blah Blah Blah...
Whose says I'm stepping in and tell your a$$ what to do? No **** I know its two different cars. "Theory" was a question, not a statment! You're such an a$$ for bashing.

And no, factory struts do not come design for only ONE spring rate. All Gs and Zs have same stock structs with different spring rates.
Blah blah blah...

First, "are we chicken ****s" is not a good question. No...it is called smart, wise, and experienced with the car.

Second, I didn't bash. I said a Civic owner telling us what to do. How is that a bash? Wow, someone's Intraweb pantys are in a bunch. They are indeed 2 different cars. I have a friend that tried to lower his Cavalier in this same manner, and ended with the same result: pre-worn struts. A smaller car is not invincible to the problem.

We are talking about aftermarket springs on stock struts. Even the lowest "stock" drop of 350Z springs is still not as low as an Eibach or Tein kit. Do what you wish...I don't care. I've seen my share of cars bouncing around on aftermarket springs/stock shocks...I have friends who have done it, I have read on other forums about doing it...it all ends up the same. You are going to damage the rebounding power of the shock to compensate for the extra drop and different spring rate.

There is no theory, there are 3 pages of facts here. No bash was meant or applied, simply that you are not going to reinvent the wheel on something that just does not apply to this car--but any car. Those S2000's you see may not have problems yet...and they are a light car. Perhaps it takes them a year to wear out the stock struts...maybe a little more. I don't know that, but I don't think you do either.

Pay to play, and lower it right. Save yourself a headache (literally) in the future.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And thanks for the a$$ statement, that is the first time I have heard it. Mature reply FTW.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:29 AM
I am running the 350z h-techs with stock struts. From research, the sport suspension struts on the sedan and coupe should work well with 350z springs pending they are not blown. I have not had any issues with the stock struts, I think the car handles and looks great. I clear most speed bumps with ease. There has been numerous threads about stock struts and what aftermarket springs they mate up with.

I think if you are running the non-sport suspension, you will definitely have to upgrade the springs and struts. Also if you hang out at the track on the weekends, you would expect to get a c/o kit or some decent adjustables.

I have had all types of cars with all types of suspensions, these OEM struts work great and make sense with some aftermarket springs that give you a decent drop , I see no reason in throwing away a good set of sport suspension struts when the rates are nearly compatible with the 350z springs. The fact of the matter is that half the people on this forum think they know suspensions but most of them only know what they read on previous threads....its all perception and what threads come up first on the search. LOL. Take this from a guy who has been researching modifications on mulitple forums for over 7 years. There is B.S. in almost every thread. I have seen OEM struts last for 30,000 + miles with aftermarket springs with plenty of track use and I have seen $180 a piece Koni Yellow struts sheer in half driving down a straight road with stock springs.

I will post if and when my struts blow, in the mean time I will get some 22" chrome rims with the money I saved.

Last edited by buckwilly; 03-19-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Omega Enthusiast
Technically, we don't have "struts" on the G. We have "shocks" - for the sake of semantics we all know what we're talking about here.

It's basically already been mentioned but the stock suspension was designed for a specific spring rate and any time the components of a stock suspension are altered / changed, the stock suspension no longer works at it's optimal range. Going to a higher spring rate (as associated with aftermarket springs) with a stock damper will increase the likelihood of decreasing the life and performance of the damper.

I would suggest going with a full coilover suspension - height adjustable and ride adjustable. If you can afford a G, you can afford the suspension.

Old 04-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Sidewy8
Yeah, $800 for shocks and springs still don't solve all the issues with possible pre-mature aftermarket shocks or ride quality, (read all the post here https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ering+your+car

p

actually it does solve the problem cux my tokico d-spec came with warrenty for the life of my car...

tokico d-spec w/ esplier gt installed for $600

Old 04-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Just found THIS and there's some great info in there.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Great article. Thanks. And to answer the same question that pops up every so often on this forum:

What if I get shorter springs to lower the car? Will I need to adjust my caster and camber angles and/or my shock absorbers?

Generally the answer would be no. Most cars have a good 10-13cm (4-5 inches) movement in their suspension from the factory. As most of the lowering springs you can buy only lower by 2-7cm (1-3 inches), your suspension should still be well within it's designed operating limits. Therefore, caster and camber angles shouldn't need looking at.

if that's the case, why does everyone start buying these camber toe kits for lowering just past an inch????? I am starting to think that a lot of us have fallen into the "scare"

Originally Posted by Texasscout
Just found THIS and there's some great info in there.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by fireblade
Great article. Thanks. And to answer the same question that pops up every so often on this forum:

What if I get shorter springs to lower the car? Will I need to adjust my caster and camber angles and/or my shock absorbers?

Generally the answer would be no. Most cars have a good 10-13cm (4-5 inches) movement in their suspension from the factory. As most of the lowering springs you can buy only lower by 2-7cm (1-3 inches), your suspension should still be well within it's designed operating limits. Therefore, caster and camber angles shouldn't need looking at.

if that's the case, why does everyone start buying these camber toe kits for lowering just past an inch????? I am starting to think that a lot of us have fallen into the "scare"
"Shouldn't" is the key word here. That doesn't mean it won't! On the G, if you go more than 0.8" or so, you will need more than the stock caster adjustment will allow.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Measure the shock stroke length oem is less than 7" divide by 2 = +- 3.5" of compession and rebound assuming the are perfectly centered in spring.

Never the case as different driver weight from [150 pound design] and different passenger trunk item weight.

A good rule of thumb is to assume that there will be only 3" of suspension range in compression.

Lowering obviously decreases this range!