Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Old Supra guy, new to G35.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Old Supra guy, new to G35.

YES! I can finally post.... Hi! I have a long background of modding 3rd gen turbo Supras and currently have a 500+HP 1987 Turbo. I have been looking for a G35 on and off for 2 years and I've finally found what I want (sort of LOL).

Here's what I found:
2004 G35 6MT Sedan in Twilight blue w/ 58,000 miles @ ~$19000. The down side to this car is that the bumper and front left fender show signs of misalignment / repair. Carfax, for what that's worth, shows no accidents. I prefer the sedan because I already have a Supra and a truck, and want a 4 door GT car to "toy" around with. I haven't bought the car yet and want to get a few questions answered before making an offer.

I plan to go F.I. very quickly, 350-400RWHP initially and then build another motor for more. I'm worried about the drivetrain. I've read that the 6MT trans has been improved every year due to some level of problems. How much power will that trans reliably handle? Will newer trans swap into the older cars? Are there any upgrade parts for the 6sp trans? Is the auto actually more robust than the manual??? This will be used for everyday spirited driving and some drag racing.

On the 2004 sedan with stock internals, is there a general preference for SC over turbo, or a certain brand over another? I was leaning towards a Vortech setup but I see one of the site sponsors has a great deal on a turbonetics kit that will fit a sedan with minor modification. Any feedback on the turbonetics kit?

Tons of questions - I know! Thanks in advance for your answers and hope to become more active here.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome! The forums here have a TON of sub-categories, so be aware if your post gets moved, it's the mods trying to stay organized. I'll do my best to answer your q's.

Originally Posted by Supra
I plan to go F.I. very quickly, 350-400RWHP initially and then build another motor for more. I'm worried about the drivetrain. I've read that the 6MT trans has been improved every year due to some level of problems. How much power will that trans reliably handle? Will newer trans swap into the older cars? Are there any upgrade parts for the 6sp trans? Is the auto actually more robust than the manual??? This will be used for everyday spirited driving and some drag racing.
As wonderful as G35driver is, there is a TON more info for FI at my350z.com (our sister site) specifically the FI forum:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=182

I read a nice MT review over there a few weeks ago. . .lemme see if I can find the link. It appears pretty beefy (torn down next to a Getrag) so you should be okay. I don't have an MT, so all I can tell you is that the auto is less "beefy" than the manual, but can be modified to accommodate more power without dying too quickly. I can't find the thread. . .but the trans is fairly strong as is. I think some FI 6MT guys can chime in on this. . .

Originally Posted by Supra
On the 2004 sedan with stock internals, is there a general preference for SC over turbo, or a certain brand over another? I was leaning towards a Vortech setup but I see one of the site sponsors has a great deal on a turbonetics kit that will fit a sedan with minor modification. Any feedback on the turbonetics kit?
The VQ has notoriously weak rods, so the added torque from a turbo can bend/break them. However, with a built engine and more stout rods (many available, pauter, eagle, crower, etc) this won't be as much of a problem. Either setup will work, but will wear the engine out faster.

Best of luck to ya!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone w/ Alex at Vinny Ten Racing and he answered my Q's and then some! I did go ahead and buy the 2004 G35 sedan 6MT in twilight blue this afternoon for 18k. Alex has recommended a Turbonetics single turbo setup and I think that's the route I will go.

I'll run on stock internals and 400HP for a while and build up another motor on the side.