Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

My car got paid off by mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**** doing the right thing, if you can get away with 20k(which is very unlikely, youll probably end up getting screwed over) do it. just realize that someone may come looking for you at the end of the year for some cash. whats a bank ever done for you other than take your money? take theirs if you can(armed robbery aside here)

Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 PM
It should take the bank no more than 14 days to figure out the error. By that time, someone is going to wonder why they haven't received the title for the car that they paid off. At the bank we do the research, find out where the payoff check came from. And we always have a copy of the check in your file. So if it came from a dealership for a trade in, more than likely you wouldn't be the one asking for the title. Best bet would be to call the bank, find out when and who did the payoff. if you wait a couple of months and don't make a payment and play the "I received a zero balance paid off letter, but I know I didn't pay it off", the bank usually will ask for the past due balance to be paid current.

Last edited by sydg35; 09-17-2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-2007, 09:56 PM
A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions-Confucius

Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
wow that is rediculous

Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CCG35
A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions-Confucius
He who farts in church sits in own pew. - Confucius

To the OP: Someone will find the error and try to get you to pay for it whether in late fees or some other fee.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 PM
wonder how this plays out

Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G-girl
Nismo,

I'm a big fan of "doing the right thing".

Call your lender and tell them that they may have made a mistake. This is karma testing you.

It's the right thing to do.

~G-girl
shes good.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Well I did call again and took a call log and the name or the person I spoke to. She did verify that the account had a zero balance so I requested my title and she said she would mail me my title asap

Last edited by TIAN; 09-17-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would do the right thing. I used to work for a Bank. This lady had a mortgage payment and somehow she didn't get her statements for a few months. She told me straight up that she forgot about it the 1st month, but on the 2nd month she called and someone in customer service said that there was no balance and/or payment due. She said screw it, and thought she got the most of it! So she didn't pay it...thinking it was an error and the mortgage was paid off.

Well sure enough....she got a letter stating that there was a mistake and a possible foreclosure was in the works. It was MORE of a headache for her in the end.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by NISMOG350GT
Well I did call again and took a call log and the name or the person I spoke to. She did verify that the account had a zero balance so I requested my title and she said she would mail me my title asap

You did the right thing... let us know how it goes. I'm curious... maybe the lending institutions are giving random people a break.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You did the right thing... let us know how it goes. I'm curious... maybe the lending institutions are giving random people a break.
Yeah, and Hell froze over today too Geri, LOL!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
I doubt it... I dont think the bank is dumb enough to not notice 20k missing... Im gonna go to my uncle at Sawgrass Infiniti and see whats up. I dont wanna be nonchalant about the situation and have late fees and backed up car payments sneak up on me or the repo man coming to take my G.

So im going to Sawgrass Infiniti and am gonna try to staighten things out and if everythin works in my favor im taking statements and a verification letter from Sawgrass that my car is indeed paid off. That way IF the bank did come for my money in a couple months I have my car title that THEY mailed me and the consent of Sawgrass Infiniti of the "paid" vehicle

Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Yeah, and Hell froze over today too Geri, LOL!
but Tom, a pig just flew right by me!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NISMOG350GT
So if I get the title then its final right?
And when and if they do find out... will I be charged a late fee or continue my payments as schedualed?
Apparently that bank doesnt know whats wrong so I shall ask the G35 people for advice

Nothing is final. If they can prove at anytime that you didn't actually pay off the car, the bank can come after you.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Premier Member

To really do the right thing. Go back and find your sales contract and show them the sales price and show them how much you have left. They will research it and make sure to document that you attempted to resolve this problem. If they come back and tell you that you account stands as zero balance then you have legal proof in court or documents to show the credit reporting company that it was a mistake if they decided to hit you with late payments when they corrected. 20K given freely...Hmmmm...Sure...Just don't be surprise when they send a repo man after you for no reason. Cover your butt on this one...Nothing in life is free...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My car got paid off by mistake?