Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

My car got paid off by mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hai109
Let me try to clear this up...Your example about borrowering money from parents is not a good example. If your parents don't want the money back that's their money and their decision. Banks are lending insitutions. A worker at the bank doesn't have the authority to give money away. They hire people to do all the paperwork etc. If one or more person in the bank makes a mistake. Does that automatically void the contract? NO...Even, If the bank told you not to pay right now. 6 months or more down the line and they find out. He is still liable for the money.

Take this to court and the judge will look at you and tell you to pay. Why? You have a contract that has an outstanding balance of 20K... Do you have proof that you paid? NO...Then you have to pay...But they told me I don't have to pay. Doesn't it matter. Any letter that they send to him will be considered a mistake. Those letters and his attempt to resolve this will only help him from avoiding late charges or anything else. People working at the bank have computers and all they do is look up if the account is paid. They don't do the research because they didn't get the actual check that was written to clear the title.

So, banks are not regular people you borrow money from. Hey, if someone can make a mistake and give away 20K. I can see so many people getting their cars paid off because an "Oppss"...I highly doubt a bank will give 20K free just because one person in the bank made a mistake. Sooner or later they will come back and get their money. Even if they don't want the money now. Accounting will catch it for sure. He should still side aside the payments in his account so when they do want it back he doesn't get screwed because he spent it all. If he receives the title and sells the car. It can be proved that he didn't pay the full amount. It is stealing because he didn't fully pay for the car and he better be sure to not spend that 20K because they will come running for it.

I agree with you. i know they will find out. read all of my posts in this thread if you want to argue because youve missed my point

Old 09-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you know, i had a thread i made about a year ago, back near December last year - i remember. And i had 700 dollars appear in my bank account, i was unsure what to do. I got the same advice your getting. Long story short, i ended up calling, visiting and just asking when that money was deposited blah blah. I ended up telling them i didn't deposit it. 2 weeks later, it was gone.

My friend who works at a bank said that money was simply put into a bank account the bank has with "reserve" money which is a dump for things like what happened to me, and to reimburse people for their lost money etc etc....

different i guess when you talk 700, and 20k...but you should just call and talk to someone regarding the issue.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by NISMOG350GT
Well this is what ive done so far:

1st - I called the bank immediatley after I recieved the letter of a zero account balance for the loan... no, my check did bounce I spoke with 4 different representatives that had no clue what my fuss was about. They said, "the car is paid off." Then they hung up on me while transferring the call. I made a call log and took names down of the people I spoke with.

2nd - Checked my bank statements and they were in the clear. Everything was normal

3rd - Called the bank again and explained that I had still had a loan out with them and she replied that the loan was closed and paid for and that the title was going to be sent soon. I still told her that I had about 20k left. She got her supervisor and they replied the same thing. I left it at that and made another call log

4th - I called Sawgrass Infiniti and left 2 messages to see if the possibly had anything to do with the situation. No answer as of yet.

I've tried to get to the bottom of it and ive gotten the same reply
Make sure you write down the NAMES of the people you spoke with, or speak with in the future. You'll need that.

Ask a supervisor and/or customer service to get you a copy of the check that paid off your loan. If its your loan they should be able to do that.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
paying interest is theft.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
If you could email these people and get them to reply in writing (email) that would help your case quite a bit. Verbal stuff seems to go like this "phone call? I never spoke to you or said that".

Well this is what ive done so far:

1st - I called the bank immediatley after I recieved the letter of a zero account balance for the loan... no, my check did bounce I spoke with 4 different representatives that had no clue what my fuss was about. They said, "the car is paid off." Then they hung up on me while transferring the call. I made a call log and took names down of the people I spoke with.

2nd - Checked my bank statements and they were in the clear. Everything was normal

3rd - Called the bank again and explained that I had still had a loan out with them and she replied that the loan was closed and paid for and that the title was going to be sent soon. I still told her that I had about 20k left. She got her supervisor and they replied the same thing. I left it at that and made another call log

4th - I called Sawgrass Infiniti and left 2 messages to see if the possibly had anything to do with the situation. No answer as of yet.

I've tried to get to the bottom of it and ive gotten the same reply

Old 09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If you could email these people and get them to reply in writing (email) that would help your case quite a bit. Verbal stuff seems to go like this "phone call? I never spoke to you or said that".
I told the bank that I didnt pay it off and it must be a mistake and they just said it is paid off and got a supervisor to verifyed it. Ive made call logs with the time, dates, and names of all people i've spoken to. The bank is aware or should be aware of the 3-4 times Ive called to ask about my mysteriously paid off loan account.
I am aware that the bank will realize this in the future that is why I have recorded coversations with the bank, call logs, car title coming, and a letter from the bank stating the loan is paid off. If they come after me, I'll have all these documents for proof that I did advise them of the mysteriously paid loan and that they assured me that it was paid. I have no problem paying for the car again as I signed a contract that I would. As long as I dont get penalized for their mistake that I tried to correct various times

Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I got a letter in the mail today stating this, "We are unable to process your loan payment for the following reason:

ACCOUNT HAS A ZERO BALANCE"

Thats exactly how it is written. They returned the check I wrote for the car payment so I called and no one knew what happened to the account. I was transfered to 4 different people till' they hung up on me.

Any ideas on whats going on? Is my car paid off by mistake?!? That would be awesome

wtf??? lucky bastard LOL!!!!!!! =)))))

Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I told the bank that I didnt pay it off and it must be a mistake and they just said it is paid off and got a supervisor to verifyed it. Ive made call logs with the time, dates, and names of all people i've spoken to. The bank is aware or should be aware of the 3-4 times Ive called to ask about my mysteriously paid off loan account.
I am aware that the bank will realize this in the future that is why I have recorded coversations with the bank, call logs, car title coming, and a letter from the bank stating the loan is paid off. If they come after me, I'll have all these documents for proof that I did advise them of the mysteriously paid loan and that they assured me that it was paid. I have no problem paying for the car again as I signed a contract that I would. As long as I dont get penalized for their mistake that I tried to correct various times

holy shiet?? so it shows that you DID pay off your car!??! OMGGG!?!??!?!!? you're almost as lucky as winning a lotto... man, oh man... haha!!!! rub me some luck of yours!!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jamjamz
holy shiet?? so it shows that you DID pay off your car!??! OMGGG!?!??!?!!? you're almost as lucky as winning a lotto... man, oh man... haha!!!! rub me some luck of yours!!
What are you... 5?

Old 09-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Dude, recorded conversations; that's f'in smart! I think the only other thing you can do in the CYA department is send them an official letter in the mail.

I would also find out what the statue of limitations on this sort of thing. That way you can sit on it for X amount of time, and if nothing happens you will be out of the clear. Legally that is. Ethics is a whole different story as a lot of people have already pointed out here.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by X-Vert
What are you... 5?
eh? are YOU 5? he stated above that the bank said it is paid off. (althou in reality.. he didn't) that's why im saying he's lucky.. DUH!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:09 AM
In terms of ethics, as long as real attempts have been made to pay there is nothing wrong with that. If they refuse to take payment, he should not be forced to pull a reverse bank robbery (i.e. pull out a gun and force the bank to accept the payment) because he can't win that way either. Simply dropping the money at their feet won't work because the payment won't get registered to his account so when they do come after him, he will have to pay extra.

To protect himself, you need to consider what would stand up in court. Keep sending payments and then keeping the return letters saying payment was refused is probably decent proof that you made payment attempts. Recorded conversations might not stand up in court. You may need to consult a lawyer for the best advice.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:15 AM
hai109 is exactly right. No recorded conversations or letters will help in court IMO. It might help eliminate any fees the bank tries to throw at you but not with the loan. If it was that easy, what's stopping bank employees from making such "mistakes" with friends? What will count is that long legal document you signed when you took the loan. At some point, the bank will do an audit and find something missing.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
why don't you ask them for a payment history.

Thy either should have a big fat payment recently or they will be able to find out what happened.

Maybe your secret admirer paid off your car.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Premier Member

Maybe Joker won the lotto? hahah....Wow, you didn't bother to tell us?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My car got paid off by mistake?