Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Certified pre-owned - worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certified pre-owned - worth it?

I've been researching and preparing to purchase a used car for quite some time now, and have settled on an '05-'06 G35 Sedan 6MT. You'd think that the hard part is actually deciding what you want...but oh no not even close. Finding a 6MT sedan is nigh-impossible it seems.

Anyway, my main concern at this point is the TSB for the oil consumption issue in the rev-up engines. I really don't mind the risk of having to go through the OC test and getting a new engine, but I'm getting sketchy findings on how well this is covered by warranty. So my thinking was that I should hold out for a certified pre-owned vehicle as that would have to cover any issues with it.

I've been looking for 3 weeks now for such a car and there are none within 500 miles of me that are CPO. My patience is beginning to wane. Is a CPO car worth the wait and extra cash?

TLDR summary: The big question is - if I buy a car w/ remaining factory warranty on it, will Infiniti honor the TSB and run the test, and potentially replace my engine, even without any prior service records? Any tips/comments/thoughts are greatly appreciated to help me through my conundrum

Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruhnie
I've been researching and preparing to purchase a used car for quite some time now, and have settled on an '05-'06 G35 Sedan 6MT. You'd think that the hard part is actually deciding what you want...but oh no not even close. Finding a 6MT sedan is nigh-impossible it seems.

Anyway, my main concern at this point is the TSB for the oil consumption issue in the rev-up engines. I really don't mind the risk of having to go through the OC test and getting a new engine, but I'm getting sketchy findings on how well this is covered by warranty. So my thinking was that I should hold out for a certified pre-owned vehicle as that would have to cover any issues with it.

I've been looking for 3 weeks now for such a car and there are none within 500 miles of me that are CPO. My patience is beginning to wane. Is a CPO car worth the wait and extra cash?

TLDR summary: The big question is - if I buy a car w/ remaining factory warranty on it, will Infiniti honor the TSB and run the test, and potentially replace my engine, even without any prior service records? Any tips/comments/thoughts are greatly appreciated to help me through my conundrum
Yes.

IMO, CPO is a crock of S***. We don't certify cars here because it is cheaper to just extend your warranty, which basically gives you the same coverage at less cost; our internal inspection is more stringent than the one Infiniti uses to CPO cars.

Best of both worlds if you get a pre-owned at Riverside.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Yes.

IMO, CPO is a crock of S***. We don't certify cars here because it is cheaper to just extend your warranty, which basically gives you the same coverage at less cost; our internal inspection is more stringent than the one Infiniti uses to CPO cars.

Best of both worlds if you get a pre-owned at Riverside.
Thanks for the insight Mike. I know CPO is generally a big waste of cash, but this Oil Consumption issue has me really worried. I did notice you had a few pre-owned G's that caught my eye there at Riverside, if only you weren't so far away...