Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Looking at a new G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking at a new G35

I have an 04 g35 right now but it's an automatic. I absolutely love the car except that it's an auto, it's the first car I've had that wasn't a manual and it's getting to the point where it saddens me. Yesterday by sheer dumb luck I found an 04 6mt. Same color (DG love) and of course the brembo's and action package, if that's what they call it.

I've been reading up on the revup vs non revup and it seems like there isn't enough of a difference to look specifically for a revup and they have some oil consumption issues from my understanding. I was just wondering if there really is a big difference I'm missing and if I should just find a little bit newer of one. My girlfriend wants mine so I get to trade in her car and get my 6mt finally. Then spend a few days swapping parts around...not going back to stock.

Any insight on major differences in years that I have missed would be awesome although I haven't found much other than the revup and projector headlights in 06 which I already have anyway.

Because the dealership is closed for the holidays I won't be able to go test drive it and give it a thorough look over until monday but if I am going to do this I was hoping someone will also have an idea of a reasonable price. They are asking 14,995 for it which seems high since it has 114k miles. I've been looking around online and have found some others that are near identical and some are as low as 9995 and range up to 15-16k but they are all multiple states away.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
depends what youre looking for. a new G will have the updated projector headlights everyone oogles over along with a slightly better looking interior. Someone correct me if im wrong, but at some point they ditched the brembos for an akibono brake setup. something to do with a bunch of yuppies complaining that their performance brakes wore through pads too fast or some bullsh!t like that.

If it were me I would think hard about it and make sure its worth it. Dont just jump on it because its a 6mt. odds are since its a 6mt, whoever drove it before you drove it like they stole it. Get an inspection done and see if its really worth the asking price. 6mt's arent too terribly hard to come across so its might be worth waiting for the right one to come up and trading for that. although the non-revup G's arent immune to the OC issues, its a lot less likely and you get that piece of mind.

as far as price, depends on how nice you want yours to be. I paid 15k for my 04. but its was what I wanted. 6mt, sport package, immaculate, with only 60k miles and one respectable owner.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DragonBoas
I have an 04 g35 right now but it's an automatic. I absolutely love the car except that it's an auto, it's the first car I've had that wasn't a manual and it's getting to the point where it saddens me. Yesterday by sheer dumb luck I found an 04 6mt. Same color (DG love) and of course the brembo's and action package, if that's what they call it.

I've been reading up on the revup vs non revup and it seems like there isn't enough of a difference to look specifically for a revup and they have some oil consumption issues from my understanding. I was just wondering if there really is a big difference I'm missing and if I should just find a little bit newer of one. My girlfriend wants mine so I get to trade in her car and get my 6mt finally. Then spend a few days swapping parts around...not going back to stock.

Any insight on major differences in years that I have missed would be awesome although I haven't found much other than the revup and projector headlights in 06 which I already have anyway.

Because the dealership is closed for the holidays I won't be able to go test drive it and give it a thorough look over until monday but if I am going to do this I was hoping someone will also have an idea of a reasonable price. They are asking 14,995 for it which seems high since it has 114k miles. I've been looking around online and have found some others that are near identical and some are as low as 9995 and range up to 15-16k but they are all multiple states away.
Keep looking man. It's worth the wait.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
I'd get an +06 if you are looking to purchase at 14-15k. Improved interior, sport bumper, and sport skirts, projector front lights, newer rear lights. Brembos were dropped in 04 due to brake pad, rotor, & dust issues. Really depends on what you want. I know for a fact not all rev-up motors had oil consumption issues and there are some non-revups with oil consumption issues. Really depends on what you want.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
14,995 is a rip. I have an 05. Wish I had an 08 for the headlights, sport bumper and bluetooth. I'm modded so I have all that except the newer tail lights. I wouldn't go for 03-04 as I prefer the newer interior over the brembos. Look around. I've seen some Gs at 11k (sad when some of us paid 40k back then)

Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by TIAN
14,995 is a rip. I have an 05. Wish I had an 08 for the headlights, sport bumper and bluetooth. I'm modded so I have all that except the newer tail lights. I wouldn't go for 03-04 as I prefer the newer interior over the brembos. Look around. I've seen some Gs at 11k (sad when some of us paid 40k back then)
Ya, I paid a little over 30k for my 04 that I have now, but I've had it since 15k miles. I didn't realize they changed the interiors but I knew they switched to akebono brakes. Not sure what to think about that since I have no previous experience with anything other than brembos in regards to performance brakes.

I already have the projector headlights so I will put them on whatever new G I get. I'm fully aware that 14,995 is a total rip off especially with the amount of miles on it. I have found a few other 04's and even an 05 for less than 12k. Unfortunately the closest one of those is about 400 miles away. So providing this one doesn't have major mechanical issues and they will budge on the price to something reasonable I would like to avoid driving that far to look at a car. On monday I will be taking it to a buddies shop so I can go through it all and see if I can find anything wrong with it.

I will have to look at the difference in interiors though and that was the purpose of this thread to see if there was any big difference that would make me want to find a newer one. They told me that it was in the shop for a bad fuel gauge but that it was fixed so we will see. I was reading last night that that is a common problem which explains why when I fill mine up with fuel it never quite hits the full mark lol.

So far that I know of this has the sport package including bumpers and spoiler, the brembos, a sunroof (which I have never had before), and the interior is clean with the exception of a few faded spots in the leather from typical wear. Other than that I have to wait till monday. Sometimes I hate weekends.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 218 Likes on 187 Posts
Word,I payed 11k for my 03 DG 6MT with only 86k miles on it....I agree with TIAN...

Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Went to look at the car today. The drivers seat does have a small tear on the left side in the exact same place my G already has one. Seems very common. Anyway, it is fully loaded with the nav unit, sunroof, etc.. Didn't know the nav unit was there until I got in it today. Drives great, no issues shifting and everything electronic works. Checked the windows, mirrors, sunroof, all the lights and stereo even works which was a surprise. Also has an AEM intake and an exhaust that I do not know the brand of but it does sound really low and mean. I almost like it as much as the borla I have on mine.

Now for the bad. It was apparently a lemonlaw buyback car in california. So the title is branded Buyback/Lemon. I haven't been able to find anything online about how that effects the value like a salvaged title with so any insight would be great. It was a lemon law from the fuel gauge at 40k miles and has since been fixed and is working properly. It also has the upholstery stuff coming up on the glovebox, a crack in the lower passenger side grill piece, and the rear drivers side wheel has some road rash. Other than that it really is in excellent condition apart from that their detailer needs to learn how to wash dirt from under the spoiler.

We kind of started talking numbers but I wanted to wait until tomorrow so I could do some more research first. Originally they said they would give us 1500 for our trade in which honestly is fair but then they said instead of coming down on their price they would just give us 3k for the trade bringing the total down to $12,930.50 including tax title license. I still think that is way to much but I'd like opinions because maybe I'm just being a cheap *** lol.

I have found a few online that are listed at less than 13k already that are either the same year or newer and have roughly the same miles but the closest one is 501 miles away and beyond figuring out the gas and time off work to go get it I am not sure our trade in vehicle will make that drive all in one go. It's a 2001 jimmy that needs jesus and occasionally has a multiple cylinder misfire.

Any opinions on the matter would be awesome. I don't want to get ripped off just because I love the car but unfortunately it seems like anything else I have to drive forever just to get there and look at it.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ayeee...js but she aint no wifey tho.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DragonBoas
Went to look at the car today. The drivers seat does have a small tear on the left side in the exact same place my G already has one. Seems very common. Anyway, it is fully loaded with the nav unit, sunroof, etc.. Didn't know the nav unit was there until I got in it today. Drives great, no issues shifting and everything electronic works. Checked the windows, mirrors, sunroof, all the lights and stereo even works which was a surprise. Also has an AEM intake and an exhaust that I do not know the brand of but it does sound really low and mean. I almost like it as much as the borla I have on mine.

Now for the bad. It was apparently a lemonlaw buyback car in california. So the title is branded Buyback/Lemon. I haven't been able to find anything online about how that effects the value like a salvaged title with so any insight would be great. It was a lemon law from the fuel gauge at 40k miles and has since been fixed and is working properly. It also has the upholstery stuff coming up on the glovebox, a crack in the lower passenger side grill piece, and the rear drivers side wheel has some road rash. Other than that it really is in excellent condition apart from that their detailer needs to learn how to wash dirt from under the spoiler.

We kind of started talking numbers but I wanted to wait until tomorrow so I could do some more research first. Originally they said they would give us 1500 for our trade in which honestly is fair but then they said instead of coming down on their price they would just give us 3k for the trade bringing the total down to $12,930.50 including tax title license. I still think that is way to much but I'd like opinions because maybe I'm just being a cheap *** lol.

I have found a few online that are listed at less than 13k already that are either the same year or newer and have roughly the same miles but the closest one is 501 miles away and beyond figuring out the gas and time off work to go get it I am not sure our trade in vehicle will make that drive all in one go. It's a 2001 jimmy that needs jesus and occasionally has a multiple cylinder misfire.

Any opinions on the matter would be awesome. I don't want to get ripped off just because I love the car but unfortunately it seems like anything else I have to drive forever just to get there and look at it.
Anything in the Lemon category I would not touch unless its for 1k. lol Unless.... they give you a great warranty that goes along with it. like a really good one.