Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Click This Please - Buying a G35 Coupe 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: Hey everyone, thanks for your input, I'm trying to be patient and not spring on the wrong car but that's sooooo not me. I am looking at another one though that has less miles and it appears to be clean, it is modified though which is a bit of a turn off to me. Here she is: http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/4630616805.html

He said that car hasn't been inspected. Where are the cats on this car? Would the Stillen headers delete them meaning I wouldn't pass emissions? These are things I should have asked the guy when I was on the phone with him 5 min ago.

Last edited by TreeFiddy; 09-02-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I approve of all those modifications. Very clean, very nice. Good brand parts. It may ride a bit stiff with the bilstein and tein combo. Does it have brembo brakes? Is it an HR? And that low mileage sure is nice but he's asking a bit too much

Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM
And about passing emissions. The cats are the downpipe as well as the cats. So no they shouldn't be a car delete. One way to check this is to look under the side skirt right below the wheel and In front of the y pipe and see if there are cars fed by headers.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Same car as urban and I

Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Just me or shady reasoning for the inspection?
"Didn't want to make it look older.." The ***?
Here in NJ that's a HUGE no-no

Look into that

Old 09-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Just me or shady reasoning for the inspection?
"Didn't want to make it look older.." The ***?
Here in NJ that's a HUGE no-no

Look into that
Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with that. I talked to him on the phone and he said he didn't know of any reason it wouldn't pass. The tint setup should be legal here in CT, I don't know what the laws in RI are. The only thing I could think of is if he's not running any cats or something along those lines. Does anyone know if putting headers on these cars can make them fail emissions?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by BeyondInfiniti
I approve of all those modifications. Very clean, very nice. Good brand parts. It may ride a bit stiff with the bilstein and tein combo. Does it have brembo brakes? Is it an HR? And that low mileage sure is nice but he's asking a bit too much
it's an 06 so no HR or brembo dude

Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Aftermarket headers and test pipes will surely not pass smog

Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM
headers just improve power, if it has test pipes it will fail... I should know haha! but, chances are if it has test pipes and headers you'll know because it will be loud. But I told you how to check for test pipes already.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Update: So I drove the original car again, (the one photographed in the first post) and it didn't feel any faster. It's like it has no low end at all. You guys talk about chirping your tires into second and third, there's no way in hell this car would be able to do that. The other thing is I discovered that the heated seats also don't work. I know seats for this car are incredibly expensive, but what would cause neither one to work? Anyway I'm going to test drive the one in RI sometime this week when the guy can actually meet me so we'll see how that one goes.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM
The problem is that it could be any host of things causing a lack of power. I had to hunt through my engine to find my problem, although mine may be the first of it's kind. And my tip when buying any car. If it doesn't run, only pay for a car that doesn't run. No guarantee of "Oh this little thing is super easy and that's the problem." will get me to buy a car. I wouldn't buy the low power one, I've already made that mistake with my G. And that could be as simple as a blown fuse for those seats.

The following users liked this post:
TreeFiddy (09-04-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 02:21 AM
Update: So I drove the car in Providence: http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/4630616805.html and I really like it. It drove perfectly and it's in really good shape. The only thing I'd need to have fixed on it is a small dent in the roof, and I'd probably remount the splashguards since the adhesive seems to be failing, but that's relatively minor stuff. Now it does do one thing that I do not like. After starting out in first gear, maybe a second or two after you're completely off the clutch, it makes a noise. The noise is kind of hard to describe, it lasts maybe half a second and only happens in first. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like the noise a car makes when you try to turn it on when it's already on. It isn't accompanied by any vibration or any effect on the car's performance. The car shifts fantastically and when you're idling it's so quiet and vibration free it's difficult to tell if the car is even on. The seller told me that he was told by Infiniti that the sound was due to the lightweight flywheel. Does this sound correct? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? My friend who also drove the car thinks that it is something rattling in the exhaust. What do you guys think?

Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 PM
A lot of people install a lightweight flywheel, I've done it on several cars but not my or anyone else's G35. With that being said there are also a lot of complaints with the lightweight flywheel (LF) I've heard multiple complaints from "It sounds like gravel" to "a little grinding on engagement" So I could believe his excuse for what the sound is. It could also be a host of other things. bad throwout bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft play. But with that being said, it doesn't sound like a big deal.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BeyondInfiniti
. bad throwout bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft play. But with that being said, it doesn't sound like a big deal.
Light flywheels causes some chatter, but I have an Exedy (who also makes NISMO flywheels) lightweight fly and you really have to listen for the chatter with the AC off, radio off and really try to listen for it at idle, no noise when the clutch is engaged.

The noise when your shifting it sounds like the Throw Out bearing which when that goes will prob ruin the bearing sleeve its on also. And it IS going to fail. $50 in parts......and whatever your shop is going to charge to drop the transmission....then you get into "well i already dropped the trans, might as well replace the flywheel, press plate, clutch disc, slave cylinder...." not that all of that may be necessary, just however far you want to go really, but once you pay for the labor............

Old 09-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Oh I'm not saying all lightweight flywheels will chatter. But they're a dual mass style OEM for a reason. And speaking of dropping the transmission... I'm going to have to haha! It's not that difficult, but I'm not a fan of how heavy it's going to be.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Click This Please - Buying a G35 Coupe 6MT