Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Potential buyer seeks info...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005 | 11:10 PM
|
Potential buyer seeks info...

Hello gang,

I'm currently selling my 1998 BMW 540 6-speed in search of something a little more reliable. My search has brought me to the G35 as being the best car for the price range I'm looking at. There are a few things I would like to know before I make my purchase.

1) What year was the 6MT first offered. I read that when it was introduced it only came in AUTO, and then found a post on this board by a Canadian member with a 2003 6MT. Are they hard to find?

2) What are the common issues that one sees with the G35, not that it matters as the warranty should resolve it, but I just wanted to know if its a troublesome car. On the BMW boards we had a checklist of what will happen and exepct to break on the E39 540's.

3) How is the power of the car. Coming from a 540 pushing well over 300 hp and 320lb-ft I don't want a "*****" car. Does it have "grunt"?

4) Is a 2004 better than a 2003?

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2005 | 01:21 AM
1) 6MT was introduced in the U.S. market sedan in late '03 model year. '03 6MT did not have Viscuous Limited Slip Differential - VLSD introduce in 2004, and only on 6MT's still, not on 5ATs'. Don't know about '05 and beyond, and Canadian models may have differed in specs and introduction of changes.

6MT models automatically received the sport package (tighter suspension, better tires, "titanium" painted interior trim, 5 spoke alloy rims - although still only 17''), but it was available on 5AT's also (but no VLSD for them). The early (late '03 and all '04) 6MT models had transmission problems, particularly in the synchros from 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th (grinding, etc.) - I had mine replaced at 15,000 miles under warranty. Redesigned transmission for '05, problems seem to be resolved.

2) Brakes are excellent, but wear out REALLY quickly in the '03 and '04 models, so much so that Infiniti issed a "brake letter" telling everyone with an '03 or '04 that they were offering a 3 year/36 mile warranty on the brakes - most everyone needs at least one replacement (pads and/or pads & rotors) under this warranty (sometimes several times, depending on driving style).

Some people complain about the power seat control placement in the seat cushion bolster, which can press on the thigh and causes back and/or leg pain for some here.

Some complain that the BOSE stereo option is not impressive, and some early models seemed to have issues with CD player "jamming", requiring removal and sending unit out for repair. There are myriad complaints of squeaks and rattles - mine's been pretty tight up till now, though (approx. 25K miles). Some say the free car wash when getting service is not good, everyone likes the free "beaters" (I mean loaners ), though.

3) 540 is a small V-8 with decent grunt - G35 is a large V6, but runs like small V-8. Magazine times (for what they're worth) show G35 6MT and BMW 540i surprisingly close in raw numbers, but BMW feels smoother and more refined in doing so. '03 5AT 540i was rated at 282 HP, don't believe the '98 was rated higher , was it?

3a) Couldn't find a 6MT 540i in the Motor Trend Road Test archives, but an '03 540i Sport Sedan with 5AT (rated at 282 HP) posted 0-60 time of 6.0 seconds, 1/4 mile in 14.4 sec @ 96.6 MPH, braking 60MPH - 0 in 123 ft, and running a speed of 63.2 MPH through the slalom (Cumulative Road Test Results published Motor Trend March, 2003 issue). I recall 6MT 540i's being 0.4 - 0.5 faster than this in the 0-60 MPH, and about 0.5 sec and 4-5 MPH faster in 1/4 mile.

3b) Compare to '03 G35 6MT Sedan (rated at 260 HP) running 0-60 MPH in 5.8 sec, 1/4 mile in 14.3 at 100.3 MPH, braking 60-0 in 110 ft, and running 66.0 mph through the slalom (Motor Trend March, 2003 issue).

3c) Compare to '04 Lexus GS430 5AT (rated 300 HP) running 0-60 in 6.0, 1/4 mile in 14.4 @ 98.9 MPH, braking 60-0 in 115 ft, and running 63.3 MPH through slalom (Motor Trend March, 2004 issue).

Realistically, and based upon times posted by many on this forum, I'd say the 6MT "G" is about 0.1 - 0.3 slower in 0-60 MPH, and maybe 0.5 sec slower in 1/4 mile (but only 2-3 MPH lower trap speed) than the 540i 6MT.

Subjectively, my few drives in 540i 6MT's gave me the impression of a much heavier car (although the "G" is quite close in overall dimensions) - the "G" felt lighter on it's feet and more "tossable" (as backed up by the slalom numbers above), and the BMW felt more solid and "planted" in the turns - but you know, the "butt dyno" can be thrown off by many factors. These cars are damned close, and it would really come down to the driver's skill on a road course. I'd bet the "G" would beat the 540i around a tight road course like Laguna Seca 5 times out of 10 - it's that close. The 540 is slightly quicker, the "G" can slightly outbrake it and is better in transitional response (critical on the "Corkscrew" turn at Laguna, for example), as witnessed by it's better slalom times/speeds.

To me, the BMW drives and feels more substantial, with a nicer interior, costs a hell of a lot more, and is not as reliable overall. The "G" is a very well executed car who's engineers spent their $32,000 to $35,000 (retail) allowance very wisely. It has most all of the safety and performance goodies you'd expect, but corners have to be cut somewhere at this price point, and the materials (especially interior) are one of the areas where Infiniti stretched a dollar or two, obviously. Overall perfomance and "Bang for The Buck" earned it MT's Car of The Year in 2003, and has kept the "G" a best seller ever since.

04) In my very biased opinion, the '04 6MT is better than the '03 6MT - mainly because of the addition of the VLSD on the '04, although the redesigned console that now had cupholders was also an upgrade, if you're into that sort of thing . Otherwise, the average driver on the average road, you really wouldn't know the difference. Now the '05, with 298 HP ..........?????

One man's opinion.

Last edited by dbarnes; 09-22-2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2005 | 10:04 AM
Dbarnes, that was a great post that covered about everything that needs to be said.

Old 09-22-2005 | 10:28 AM
Thanks, Shodog.

I'm sure others have more to say, but this should be a good start for this fellow.

Old 09-22-2005 | 10:34 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Staff Alumni
dbarnes - OMG you are now the one to answer these kinds of questions! I think the mods should sticky this one because that is the most thorough and mostly unbiased wealth of information in one message I have seen in a while. You pretty well covered everything. All I can say is WOW!

Old 09-22-2005 | 10:41 AM
|
That was an awesome post dbarnes. I appreciate all of the comments. My biggest issue with the BMW right now is maintnance costs. I just spent over $2000 this summer doing suspension replacement work, and looking at another $2000 for the clutch next spring as its starting to slip at 142K Kms.

FYI, the pre-vanos equipped 540's (97,98) were underrated. I actually got dyno'd at 274 rwhp and 308 rwtq on my stock 540, and have run a 13.9 on the 1/4 wit a trap of 102 mph. The car is quick, is a great highway cruiser (easily 700km on a full tank).

The G35 has really started to grow on me as a replacement car, as the VQ series engine is widely used in the Nissan range and parts are easy to come by, and probably alot less expensive than BMW. I have found a 03 5AT blk/blk w/ Xenon and Nav for a very good price, but really holding out for a 6MT if I can find one. Thanks to you now I 'm also starting to look at 04 for the LSD as I know it was the only thing lacking on my 540.

I'll search the forums for more info before I start boring you guys with what might seem as redundant posts.

Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2005 | 10:46 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Greco
My biggest issue with the BMW right now is maintnance costs. I just spent over $2000 this summer doing suspension replacement work, and looking at another $2000 for the clutch next spring as its starting to slip at 142K Kms.
Damn good point here. From what I have heard and read the BMW is lacking in massive proportions in the reliabilty department. If that is the biggest issue then I would say hands down to go for the G.

Good luck either way and I hope you can find the car you are looking for. Around our area it is almost impossible to find a used 6MT (in the Sedan at least)

Old 09-22-2005 | 11:18 AM
I'll just say this, German cars as a whole are some of the best peroformance cars out there. However, they aren't without their reliability faults, mainly electrical devices. Let's just say I wouldn't even let a German wire up my Christmas tree

Old 09-22-2005 | 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I'll just say this, German cars as a whole are some of the best peroformance cars out there. However, they aren't without their reliability faults, mainly electrical devices. Let's just say I wouldn't even let a German wire up my Christmas tree

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Good point, DaveB - LOL!! But nobody can compare to the unreliability of the old British provider, Lucas Electrics.

Old British car joke (we've had an MGB for 29 years now)

" Why do the British drink warm beer? - because they have Lucas Electric refrigerators".

I might add, as was pointed out recently on a different post, that apparently some '03.5 6MT's had the cupholders. The early production model '03 witha 6MT which I test drove did not - I remember, because the salesman kept trying to convince me to buy a 5AT (which were readily available on the lot, and 6MT's had to be ordered then), and kept using the lack of cupholders as a downside. What a laugh! I told him anyone who placed cupholders as a high priority was definitely not a passionate 6MT type driver. Still no VLSD on the '03's, though.

Last edited by dbarnes; 09-22-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2005 | 01:24 PM
Banned
Dbarnes, that was VERY WELL PUT
almost everything i would wanna know to make a decision between the two

Old 09-22-2005 | 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Greco
Hello gang,

I'm currently selling my 1998 BMW 540 6-speed in search of something a little more reliable. My search has brought me to the G35 as being the best car for the price range I'm looking at. There are a few things I would like to know before I make my purchase.

1) What year was the 6MT first offered. I read that when it was introduced it only came in AUTO, and then found a post on this board by a Canadian member with a 2003 6MT. Are they hard to find?

2) What are the common issues that one sees with the G35, not that it matters as the warranty should resolve it, but I just wanted to know if its a troublesome car. On the BMW boards we had a checklist of what will happen and exepct to break on the E39 540's.

3) How is the power of the car. Coming from a 540 pushing well over 300 hp and 320lb-ft I don't want a "*****" car. Does it have "grunt"?

4) Is a 2004 better than a 2003?

Thanks.

I sold my 95 540 4 litre V8 6 spd and got an 05 G 6spd sedan. The BMW was costing me way too much in repairs. The G delivers its power a little differently than my 540 in that the 540 has more initial thrust when you first hit the gas while the G takes an instant to respond and then just builds. its probably a toss up in a 0-60 race (forgeting about having to shift or not shift into 3rd in reaching 60). The clutch on the G is even more demanding on the 1 to 2 shift than the 540.

Old 09-22-2005 | 01:34 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
Dbarnes, that was VERY WELL PUT
almost everything i would wanna know to make a decision between the two
^^WHS^^^
Take a bow bro... very well put

Old 09-22-2005 | 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Corgidog
I sold my 95 540 4 litre V8 6 spd and got an 05 G 6spd sedan. The BMW was costing me way too much in repairs. The G delivers its power a little differently than my 540 in that the 540 has more initial thrust when you first hit the gas while the G takes an instant to respond and then just builds.
Have a E38 740iL in the family, and I can agree with this. The 4.4 liter M60 is MUCH more of a beast down low than the VQ35, but both sing nicely once you get 'em going.

It's hard to beat 322 lb-ft torque on the BMW, that's where the off-the-line oomph comes from.

Old 09-22-2005 | 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by woshiagni
Have a E38 740iL in the family, and I can agree with this. The 4.4 liter M60 is MUCH more of a beast down low than the VQ35, but both sing nicely once you get 'em going.

It's hard to beat 322 lb-ft torque on the BMW, that's where the off-the-line oomph comes from.
The 4.0 V-8 in the BMW is 1/2 liter (15%) bigger than the VQ35 - another illustration that there is no substitution for cubic inches!

Old 09-22-2005 | 03:20 PM
|
And now with gas prices nearing the $2/L mark up here in Montreal, the G35 is really starting to look much more attractive than the 4.4L V8. The V8 will probably be the thing I miss the most, just the oomph as it was put from a V8 is intoxicating...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential buyer seeks info...