Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

End of lease inspection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End of lease inspection

I just had a few random questions that I hope you guys can chime in on: (I want to avoid calling IFS because I know there responses will always be in their favor)

1. I heard when you return the vehicle you must have four matching tires (not a biggie for me) but how about whether they need to be same make and spec as the OEMs (in my case michelin pilots)?

2. I have two or three deep scratches (1 1/2 in. long X 1/8 in. thick) on my rear bumper where some douchebag made contact while trying to pull out from being parked on the side of the road. No note of course. Do I have to get it repainted before I turn in the car? It's quite expensive since I was told that airbrushing wouldn't work on ivory pearl paint.

3. I'm assuming that rock chips and door dings are considered wear and tear (am I mistaken?) even though from reading the lease contract (from what I can remember) it mentioned that these defects have to be repaired by the leasee. I interpreted the contract as IFS trying to cover their a$$ for any circumstance. The only personal experience I have to go by is when my parents leased a Toyota Avalon. After inspection they where given a call that they had to pay to repair some paint damage. In all honesty it was a major blemish from when the garage door came down and scraped the rear trunk and bumper. However my parents acted offended and emphasized how long they had possesion of the car that there was bound to be some blemishes. The bank/leasing company dropped the charge. Is this common practice?

4. Will they notice small details like piaa leds for the clearance light and side marker? Should they be removed?

5. What about tint? Will they ask or charge for it to be removed?

6. Will they look at the maintenance schedule and penalize you if you haven't followed it consistently? I have a feeling it only becomes a factor when an issue arises during the lease to place the blame on the owners negligence.

I apologize if I sound overly paranoid I just want to prevent from getting screwed in the future. Will the inspection vary from location to location? Or is there a set policy sent down from IFS that the inspectors must abide? If anyone has personal experience, especially from leasing an Infiniti, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't know about IFS but this is my experience from returning four leased vehicles:

1. No. They don't care as long as there are tires there. They can even suck as far as treadwear. Obviously this is "normal" wear and tear.

2. You don't have to get it painted but they will probably ding you for it. Whether that cost is more from a body shop or a dealer I don't know. Lot's of times it will be cheaper to just let them charge you. Dealer may just try and buff it or hide it in some way which is cheaper than body work.

3. If chips are excessive they will note that and probably charge you.

4. No. Don't worry about it.

5. I don't think they will care as long as it good quality.

6. No. They will not check this.

I was paranoid the first couple times too. The last vehicle I turned in was a Ford Expedition. I left the K&N intake, Magnaflow exhaust on and swapped tires with my buddy whose tires were basically shot. They did not care at all. The only thing they really care about are the scratches, chips and dings. If there are any obvious interior blemishes they will get you too. If these are above "normal" wear and tear you will be charged.

IFS will send you the instructions as to where to turn in your vehicle. Often you're not turning it into a dealer but to a contractor who does the inspection. For the Expy, I actually had to drive it to the shipping yard where the inspection took place. For a Volvo, they sent a contractor to my work and inspected it in my parking garage. The only time I had to pay out of pocket was with a Honda Accord which I turned into a dealer. They dinged me for scratches on the door panel. I think it was like $400. I'm sure they buffed it out for $20 and pocketed the difference. Contractors don't have this incentive to ding you. Chatting them up is a good strategy.

Really, if you're not turning it into a dealer for inspection you're likely to get a better deal. If it's not going on that dealer's lot they're just sending them directly to auction anyway so they don't honestly care THAT much. It's just one of hundreds or thousands of friggin' cars they deal with but they do make it sound scary.

I would prep for no more $500 and likely a lot less unless your bumper scratch is really severe.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I have leased cars from Honda and Isuzu. I was always paranoid about extra wear and tear type charges and never incurred a single one. In my experience, it was a pretty basic exam to make sure the car and all its parts were there and not obviously abused. Infiniti could be different, but I doubt it.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
IFS does check each tire individually and mark down what make and model the tires are. they also measure the depth which to 3/32" of an inch you have-- anything under you're getting charged for another tire. they will also check the reinforcements in the front and rear, dents, dings, keys, and especially the interior for any stains or burns. i hope all this helps but that is what the pre-inspection allows you to fix anything you need to. i had a customer have a nick in his windshield and had a chance to fix it before his lease was up.. i hope all this helps

Old 10-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Thank you guys for the responses. It really clears alot of things up for me.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Thank you guys.
I also have a lease and this is my first one.
I was curious as well...