Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Order 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT or 5AT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rookie84
... I'm bored to death if I drive a AT car these days, as it just feels so awkward to rest my left leg and right arm.
And this is a perfectly good reason for me to be afraid of regret.

How old is everyone here? I'm 26 right now, and contemplating the 5AT. I feel like I'm getting a little too mature for the 6MT because this is partially a "luxury" car.

The 6MT I have now definitely makes me pay more attention to driving; I woudl say it makes me a better driver for sure.

I am trying to get away from the whole 350Z thing though, and that might include the sporty 6MT as well.

Geez, I'm so 50/50 on this right now that it's not even funny.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"I feel like I'm getting a little too mature for the 6MT because this is partially a "luxury" car."

Don't start talking like that until you hit your 50's and shopping at a Lincoln dealership.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sukairain
"I feel like I'm getting a little too mature for the 6MT because this is partially a "luxury" car."

Don't start talking like that until you hit your 50's and shopping at a Lincoln dealership.
Yeah, when I told my salesman that I think I made him feel REALLY old because he was 64.

Maybe I should have titled this thread..."anyone with 6MT's have any problems" because that is what I'm really fearing.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Sukairain

From what I have seen of people who really like driving, you will be in your 70's or 80's before you will give up on the clutch. Anyone who thinks they are getting to mature for a stick is leisurley driver. Nothing wrong with that but MTs rock.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 PM
I have a 5AT, i thought the same thing as you.. now i wish i got a 6mt..

Old 10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"its not worth getting a stick unless you have a whole lot of power. if its not 400HP no need for the stick get the auto.
"

I've always taken the exact opposite approach. Anything over 400hp and suddenly an automatic isn't so bad. Get enough HP and a strong auto trans is agreatthing to have in a street car. Anything under 400hp and a manual is going to be more rewarding.

After roughing it in an '03 Chevy Cavalier commuter car for a couple of years, I can honestly say that getting it with a manual trans is the only thing that kept me from slicing my wrists each time I drove it. It was a fun little car with a reasonable engine... ...which would have been a boring commuter car with an auto. The manual allowed me to extract every bit of hp out of that engine, which is an important thing when you're only talking about 140hp or so.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Jp1
If it's your daily driver, mod it and go with the 5AT.

If you don't have much traffic, go with the 6MT.

Gordon Gee's grounding gear does wonders for the 5AT response times!

I wish I had a 6MT to complain about driving in traffic though!

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2005, 12:11 AM
i dont see how you would have "clutch/transmission" problems on a 6mt, in all my years manual transmissions are more reliable than auto, aslong as you drive it correctly.

i lvoe to be in control, 6mt

Old 10-25-2005, 02:20 AM
sitting here laughing over this thread ....

I'll be 61 in January and I'm gettin' real impatient to get my hands on my new MT Coupe (due 10/.29.)
BTW I plan on drivin' the crap outta that little 6 speed ........ much like I do with my Triumph Daytona.
"I'm 26 and feeling more mature......." blah,blah,blah.
Today's kids! HaHaHa

Old 10-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Some of these guys make me laugh! You wear a skirt if you get an Auto???lol be serious you think your G35 is a fast car??? Some people think there G was made to be a race car and they waste money on parts but 2003+ Cobra's will spank our cars even if we turbo or supercharge our G35's plus Subaru STI's and old Camaro SS's as well as 1997+ Corvette's.. The fact is if you are buying a G35 for speed then you might want to look else where for the money you are about to spend...There Quarter mile times are embarrassing and after I owning a manual 2000 Saleen S-281 driving a Auto is a dream! Don't give up your ride quality...The last thing you want is to leave off the lot with your brand new 2006 6MT G35 with your wife in the car and you are telling her how fast your car is and a 19 year old kid pulls up in a $22,000 03 Cobra and spanks you so bad that it looked like you put your car in reverse.. Go for the Auto and know that these cars are LUXURY CARS not some 18 year old punk kid race car with fat mufflers on the back.....

Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by 350Track
Maybe I should have titled this thread..."anyone with 6MT's have any problems" because that is what I'm really fearing.
u honestly need to get your mind away from this. if you base your decision solely on whether the tranny may or may not have problems ... u will regret it down the road guaranteed. guess what... an automatic may or may not have problems as well. i always get manuals in my cars because i LOVE manual cars. i hate driving slushboxes and feel totally disjointed in them. if your leaning towards a luxury car then i seriously think u should look at a bmw, lexus or merc because those cars have far better interior appointments then this car. i own an 05... and have not had a single issue with my transmission or clutch to date. the problems you'll find on this website exhibit a mere smudge of a percentage of what is going on on infiniti cars. infiniti is ranked quite high on reliability due to a reason... the cars work without fault. if u research on this forum u will find very little if not noone who has had major transmission failure or even a replacement on an '05. in fact the '06s have even more improvements on the car, like the clutch chatter and high rpm vibration omissions. u need to select the transmission that is right for u and keep all this transmission/clutch mumbo jumbo out of your head or u WILL regret it!

Old 10-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by perfectmax
This is a stupid question:

If you wear a skirt, get an auto

If you have a set, get a 6-speed

Watch it buddy, girl driver here!

Old 10-25-2005, 08:56 AM
I would go with the 6mt; most people don't have those problems, plus its a new model year which are usually more reliable compared to the previous years problems, anyway if you do get unlucky you have your warrenty. Anyone if you start looking for posts with people with problems you will find them, people without problems don't usually post...

Old 10-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by 2FastG354U
Some of these guys make me laugh! You wear a skirt if you get an Auto???lol be serious you think your G35 is a fast car??? Some people think there G was made to be a race car and they waste money on parts but 2003+ Cobra's will spank our cars even if we turbo or supercharge our G35's plus Subaru STI's and old Camaro SS's as well as 1997+ Corvette's.. The fact is if you are buying a G35 for speed then you might want to look else where for the money you are about to spend...There Quarter mile times are embarrassing and after I owning a manual 2000 Saleen S-281 driving a Auto is a dream! Don't give up your ride quality...The last thing you want is to leave off the lot with your brand new 2006 6MT G35 with your wife in the car and you are telling her how fast your car is and a 19 year old kid pulls up in a $22,000 03 Cobra and spanks you so bad that it looked like you put your car in reverse.. Go for the Auto and know that these cars are LUXURY CARS not some 18 year old punk kid race car with fat mufflers on the back.....

Yeah well some people like to actually DRIVE their cars. Slushboxes are no fun.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 PM
For those of you who have a 6MT, do you tend to parallel park on uphills/downhills often? Right now, I have a 5spd manual integra, and I love driving it but it sucks to parallel park on major inclines, especially facing downhill (San Francisco). That is the only reason why I chose the 5AT G coupe so I wouldn't have to sweat over parking spaces. When I park on hills, I always get the fear of burning up the clutch. When I go somewhere, I always think to myself if I should drive the auto or manual, depending on what kind of parking spaces will be available. Do any of you guys/gals feel the same way? Maybe I just need some parking lessons... =/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Order 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT or 5AT?